Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
test
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 396
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70775
biomed163105
Yssup Rider60754
gman4453284
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48617
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42437
CryptKicker37208
The_Waco_Kid36888
Mokoa36493
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
trynagetlaid
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

A buddy of mine worked for this shop several years ago. The owner is a vintage car collector/enthusiast. Go by and tell him exactly what you want and he will quote you a price. He can also show you several examples of work done in his shop if you ask him to take you to his private garage.

JD Auto Collision Houston TX
We are family owned auto body in Northwest Houston east of Beltway 8 near Clay Road/ Gessner Rd .
We have been serving the west side of Houston since 1975. Three decades of service has earned JD Auto Collision a reputation for being honest and dependable in the auto body repair field. We accept all insurance estimates and prices on auto body repair. We will handle the auto body repair claim for you saving you a lot of delays and hassles. We do the following repairs: Minor and major collision repairs, unibody and conventional frame repaint, paint touch up for scratches and dings, replacement of all manufacturer’s original equipment parts, such as headlamps, taillights, grills, mirrors, moldings, handles, wheels, etc. We also can put in spray in bed liners for all makes and models of trucks. Call us with any questions about quality auto repair.
4406 Steffani Lane
Houston Texas 77041
713-466-1326
trynagetlaid is offline   Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
Playing4fun
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Brooke, I have restored a over dozen classic cars over the years. Don't use Maaco. PERIOD. Last time was not enough to chat and get to know each other apparently. I know of a great shop on the north side off the beltway. They do full resto there, or just paint, whatever you want. It really depends on the condition of what's there now, to determine the best course of future paint prep. BTW, I tried to see you a few weeks ago and never hear back from you. PM me so we can talk on the phone and I'll give you some resto advice you'll need. Best to you.
Playing4fun is offline   Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
GymRat
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Brooke, if you don't have time to make it to a car show, ask around at some of your favorite auto parts stores, or better yet, paint stores that carry auto paints. Almost all these places can recommend someone who is employed as a painter, but also does this work on the side to pick up a few bucks.
The company that I am employed with has a fleet of about 120 tractor trailers. We used to do our own paint and body work, but now send them out. Our paint and body man at that time was an absolute perfectionist. You supplied the paint, and he would paint the vehicle (assuming there wasn't a crazy amount of body work to be done) for anywhere from 750 to 1000 bucks. It might take him a few weeks to knock it out, but he literally gave you a show quality paint job.
You really don't want to skimp on a paint job, especially if this is some sort of vehicle you are truly proud of. It's funny how I can buy a new vehicle or Harley, and really look forward to washing, waxing, buffing ect. As soon as it gets a ding or a couple of nicks in the paint, I lose interest.
GymRat is offline   Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #19
GymRat
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Oh, and with regard to Maaco, I don't have any experience with them, but I did have a friend that took a car to the now bankrupt Earl Sheib. The paint literally came off in dinner plate sized pieces.
GymRat is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
LexusLover
Valued Poster

MAACO,
1. Do a google search + complaints. You'll find some sites/blogs.
2. My experience and information:

a. get only the "job" that requires them to strip your old paint to the metal, and replace with a primer coat and top coat, then "clear coated"

b. expect "over sprays" on trim (unless you tape it yourself).

c. expect "over sprays" in the engine and trunk compartments.

d. do not polish or wax the job for 4 to 6 weeks afterward....

e. just clean it off with soft rag and warm water during that time

f. do not expect any "warranty" or "guarantee" work.

Generally speaking, I would not use them unless you are either painting a "throw down" vehicle or ...

you want a temporary paint job until you are ready to complete the vehicle with a high quality job and you are afraid or concerned that there might be some metal deterioration if you do not cover it. FYI: Next time, do the interior AFTER painting.

If you want to PM that is ok and I'll give you more information.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
tbone2u
Account Disabled

Encounters: 11

Good paint and clear coat is expensive. Good prep is also expensive. Once you give a car or truck a poor paintjob, it's very difficult to go back and fix it. If the vehicle is really worth a lot to you you may want to look elsewhere.
tbone2u is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #22
boardman
Making Pussy Great Again

Encounters: 26

I know a guy who knows a guy, I'm just not sure how to tell you to tell him to tell the other guy that I referred you.
Tbone2u gives sound advice.
Don't go to Maaco!
boardman is online now   Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #23
JoeCanGo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

It is just like everything you buy. You get what you pay for. I have restored several classic motorcycles as a hobby and I couldn't even get a Tank painted for 700. I know the best thing would be to go to bare metal on a Classic especially if you wanted to Show it or even if you were going to flip it, that would be something that a prospective collector would check( looking for Bondo, fibreglass etc). Maaco paintjobs are just that. Paintjobs. They wipe the car with cheesecloth and then paint it. Everything else is extra. They hire the low end inexperienced paint and body men in the business to work for them because they don't pay much. Good paint and body men Specialize in Custom work where the money is. If you want to ever Show or Resell your car I would steer clear of MAACO. JMO.
JoeCanGo is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #24
Guest030915
Account Disabled

Encounters: 26

Brooke, I don't know what kind of car it is but you may want to take it to a dealer body shop. The only drawback to that is they more than likely won't take payments. They'll want everything right after the work is done.

Years ago, I used to work for Enterprise Rent A Car. They specialize in renting cars to people who are having work done on their cars at body shops, dealerships, etc. So, we used to interact with the body shop folks all the time. One shop that I can suggest that does good work is a place on 59 @ Chimney Rock called Precision Collision. I'm not sure if they take payments but I'm sure you can try to work something out with them. Another shop is Dimo's in the Med Center area. Just thought I'd give a couple of places to help you out.
Guest030915 is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #25
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamMan View Post
... a dealer body shop. The only drawback to that is they more than likely won't take payments. They'll want everything right after the work is done.
2 cents. "Payment-shops" are few and far between, and, IMO, you will get a better quality for the price, if you set up "payments" somewhere else, pay "cash" to the shop, and make payments to a third-party.

FYI: I hope you do not take my previous post as a MAACO "recommendation"!
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #26
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 4781
Location: Private Incall ~ Westchase/Memorial/Energy Corridor
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Talking

Thanks for all the great advice everyone ... I am going to re-read this thread later when I have some free time and hopefully decide what I am going to do by weeks end. I'll keep everyone updated!

Have a great day
Brooke Wilde is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #27
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Maybe I can’t read this morning ... but were there ZERO recommendations for Maaco?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #28
Wayward
Ambassador of the Dead

Encounters: 3
Talking

It might have been less than zero
Wayward is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #29
Brooke Wilde
Upgraded Female Account

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Unhappy

Fuck I am a glutton for punishment … now I’m thinking I should go to Maaco and see if it really is this bad.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 AM   #30
MrWhite
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

I know a few guys who paint cars not sure on how much you are looking to spend. If its paid for by insurance then service king on 45 and hardy does great work also GRC which is in Crosby. GRC is fairly decent priced and is an indy paint guy. I have a good friend whos family owns an auto body supply company and he knows several painters also. Its kind of a hobby of mine building cars so I have a few connections in the business I guess.
MrWhite is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women