Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > San Antonio > The Sandbox - San Antonio
test
The Sandbox - San Antonio The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 396
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70793
biomed163198
Yssup Rider60844
gman4453287
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48633
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42517
CryptKicker37215
The_Waco_Kid36942
Mokoa36496
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Marcus78
Premium Access

Encounters: 50
Post June 6, 1944...

In under an hour it will mark the anniversary of the beginning of Operation Neptune, the largest single military invasion in the history of war. By the end of the day, the Allied Forces sustained over 10,000 casualties, with more than 2,500 killed, and an untold/undetermined number of German soldiers killed or wounded.

I posted something similar last year, and I hope to remember to do so every year! This year the youngest legally-enlisted soldier during that invastion would be 86 years old, assuming they were 18 in 1944. There are some that are a few years younger, (many lied about their age and enlisted in their early/mid teens) but the point is this generation, truly the greatest generation, won't be around much longer. They'll take with them some of the most important lessons our species has learned, and hopefully such lessons will never be forgotten. So once again, thank you for all who served, and especially for those who fought on what I can only imagine was the most-terrifying day a soldier could possibly imagine...

I don't know if you can make out the inscription on the memorial wall, but it reads in full:

"You are about to embark upon the great crusade toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you...I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle."
Marcus78 is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

Yes, indeed. Do not forget!

Thank you, Marcus.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Jed Clampett
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 41

Thank you Marcus. I lost my dad about a year ago, he served from 1941 until 1965, and was a veteran of WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. Their generation was truly great! And thanks to all who have served.
Jed Clampett is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
greenhorn1960
Valued Poster

Encounters: 48
Default Thank's Marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Clampett View Post
Thank you Marcus. I lost my dad about a year ago, he served from 1941 until 1965, and was a veteran of WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. Their generation was truly great! And thanks to all who have served.
My Grandfather was one of those soldiers who landed on that beach 1944. And he never forgot the anniversary of D-Day for the rest of his (shortened) life. And nor shall I.

It is good to see that it is remembered, and NOT forgotten, by the fine members on this board.

GH'60
greenhorn1960 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Dirty Dan
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 1

My dad was there. He wasn't in the initial assault and came ashore later in the day. He never talked about it. I asked him about it a couple of times over the years and his most vivid memory was of seeing so many dead bodies.

I cannot imagine the courage of those who hit the beach in the initial assault. I think it was well potrayed in Saving Private Ryan. That first scene should be mandatory viewing in every high and college American history class.

We must never forget those who sacrificed for this great nation.
Dirty Dan is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
pallmallblue747
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

Thank you for posting this. As a veteran myself, being reminded of the sacrifices made by those who came before always has an affect on me.
pallmallblue747 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Guest061918
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

Thank You Marcus for posting this. We should never forget the sacrifices that those incredible courageous soldiers did on June 6th and beyond. I remember living in the DC area and going to Arlington National Cemetary. Seeing rows upon rows upon rows upon even more rows of soldier's graves from WWII leaves a deep impression on anyone. Iwo Jima memorial is also very close to Arlington National cemetary and that is another landmark that should make anyone take a step back and realize what those soldiers did for us to continue to have freedom to this very day.

To those that call it "The Greatest Generation" does not do quite enough. This is one of those instances where words just can never do it justice.

We will always remember what you did for US!!!
Guest061918 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
JMcB
Valued Poster

Encounters: 82

IIRC, Operation Neptune was for the channel crossing, and for the landing/invasion it was called Overlord. I could be wrong, and probably am, but am curious, and want to know which term should be used when referring to the invasion?
JMcB is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Marcus78
Premium Access

Encounters: 50

JMcB, there is always a ton of confusion on this point. Even I get them mixed-up/confused, and I've studied WW2 with a passion since I was a young boy. So I may be wrong, but this is what I recall.

Operation Neptune was the assault/landing phase of Operation Overlord. Basically, when the doors on the landing craft started going down, and soldiers boots reached the beach. Neptune was the first, and bloodiest, phase which helped with the establishment of a foothold in Normandy by utilizing the 12,000+ planes dropping troops and around 8,000+ watercraft/ships delivering soldiers, and firepower, on the beaches. Officially Neptune was under the umbrella of Overlord, the latter of which ended in August (I think, someone needs to fact-check me on that though) when we finally got across the Seine river.

In any event, they all deserve credit for their actions on that day. Even if someone wasn't fighting on a sandy beach, or dropping deep behind enemy lines, they were depending upon tens of thousands of supporting men, and women, to help get the job done. It's sad to say, but I often question if the U.S. today (especially my lazy, self-entitled, generation!) could do what was necessary to win a fight/war as large and demanding as WW2. That is why they truly were the Greatest Generation.
Marcus78 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
guest092513
Account Disabled

Encounters: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcB View Post
IIRC, Operation Neptune was for the channel crossing, and for the landing/invasion it was called Overlord. I could be wrong, and probably am, but am curious, and want to know which term should be used when referring to the invasion?

The Allied Invasion of France, land, air, and sea, was code named Overlord.
guest092513 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Guest061918
Account Disabled

Encounters: 10

Marcus that is an excellent point and sometimes I ask myself that ame question. Could today's generation do what was necessary to stop the momentum of an invading and massive army and then to turn the tide in our favor. I am not sure.
Guest061918 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women