Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > A Question of Legality
test
A Question of Legality Post your legal questions here (general, nothing of a personal nature)

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 275
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70718
biomed162767
Yssup Rider60471
gman4453240
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48487
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41829
CryptKicker37190
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36225
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Dingo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9
Default Trademarks and Internet Postings

If a business trademarks it's name, say Debbie's Diner does it have any legal recourse to prevent the use of its name in an internet post I.e the local food review ?
Dingo is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Do you mean the use of the name of a business in a post regarding THAT BUSINESS?
ShysterJon is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Dingo
Valued Poster

Yes say it was review and they said Debbie Diners meatloaf sucked, could they forbid from using the name Debbie Diner in the review.
Dingo is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

I'm not a trademark lawyer, but common sense tells me the answer to your question is not only "no," it's "HELL NO!" Such a restriction would violate free speech.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
Dingo
Valued Poster

Ok thanks Sj.
Dingo is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

The interest to be protected by trademarking the name of a business is the exclusive use of the name, so that a competitor may not also use the name and divert business away from the rightful owner of the name. Protection against the use of the name by others referring to THAT business isn't part of trademark protection. We're free in the U.S. to criticize businesses without fear of litigation. Lawyers, and maybe some laypersons, will be familiar with the increasing adoption of anti-SLAPP statutes by states, including Texas. ('SLAPP' is an acronym for 'Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation.') SLAPPS are usually filed by a business against a consumer who posts negative comments about the business on the Internet. Anti-SLAPP statutes allow for dismissal of such lawsuits soon after they're filed unless the plaintiff can show the court proof of the validity of its case.

This article is somewhat on point, and notes: "...trademark law specifically exempts noncommercial speech so that the law will not infringe on the First Amendment.... Criticism would be pointless if the person cannot name the company they are bashing by using its trademarks." See Trademark Education & Information, "What does the First Amendment protect?"
Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
19Trees
Valued Poster

Encounters: 61

In order to prevent anyone other than the TM owner from using the mark, it requires Federal registration. See, http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/index.jsp

Just because a mark is registered, does not mean that no one can make reference to the mark, of course. "I had a bad meal at McDonald's today..." could not be a violation. If however you opened up a restaurant and decided to call it McDonalds, there would be a violation: 1) use of the mark (or confusingly similar); 2) in the same class as a registered mark (food) there would be prima facie violation. However, it is up to the TM owner to contact the violator (cease and decist letter first, then sue for damages).

Millions of "violations" of TM happen every day, but in most cases the TM owners do no t rigorously enforce. But the big ones do. Try using IBM, or Google or Merck in a way that appropriates and expect a cease and decist letter in a hurry. Many big companies have one or more monitors (usually work in General Counsel's office and are trained as paralegals and librarians) who scan the market for violations of their marks.

A full description of TM law and practice would require 500 pages and a semester class offered in most law schools. However here's hoping this quick and dirty explanation helps.

Oh, by the way the Feds and the courts do not treat the internet differently from any other place "in commerce" ... so TM violations (or not) in the street or on the net are the same for legal purposes.

19Trees
19Trees is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Unique_Carpenter
Chasing a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
I'm not a trademark lawyer, but common sense tells me the answer to your question is not only "no," it's "HELL NO!" Such a restriction would violate free speech.
Along with your after comments, and repeating myself from an another thread comment, excellent analysis (and enjoyably brief). Have you ever considered teaching? Sometimes your ad hoc commentary is right up with Ricky Kittel's (who just had a nice one published in Kansas)
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
ShysterJon
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter View Post
Along with your after comments, and repeating myself from an another thread comment, excellent analysis (and enjoyably brief). Have you ever considered teaching? Sometimes your ad hoc commentary is right up with Ricky Kittel's (who just had a nice one published in Kansas)
Thank you. Within a few years, I plan on moving into my fourth (and probably final) career -- as a teacher. Who's Ricky Kittel?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Unique_Carpenter
Chasing a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShysterJon View Post
Thank you. Within a few years, I plan on moving into my fourth (and probably final) career -- as a teacher. Who's Ricky Kittel?
KS Supreme Court case 104115 posted Friday. He has a quick wit and a research team that are both quite interesting. Almost every paragraph contains subjects that border on items that you've commented on here (no stopping badges in arrest mode, badges trying to cover their backsides, badges not realizing that sometimes their assumptions about law may not be valid, etc.) I read it yesterday after a friend said it was posted. Her original point being that a good researcher is simply worth nearly anything to have on your team.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women