Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 376
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70748
biomed162865
Yssup Rider60529
gman4453253
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48516
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42032
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36410
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #61
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

Although I favor the exception clause, your excuse is weak, law enforcement could make the same case about a cache of guns that may/may not cause some future unknown mass harm...............almost any excuse could be made up if that is the argument

I think the exception clause in this case can be applied because of his suspected/known affiliation with a recognized terrorist organization, not just because he "may have dropped a live bomb" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynagetlaid View Post
That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted on here. What if in his getaway he had dropped a live bomb or left it in someone's garage or stairwell, and some kid comes along and gets blown up by it?

I'm glad we've got sane people making these decisions and not nut cases like you!
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #62
trynagetlaid
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Although I favor the exception clause, your excuse is weak, law enforcement could make the same case about a cache of guns that may/may not cause some future unknown mass harm...............almost any excuse could be made up if that is the argument
I wouldn't stretch it that far. Many suspected criminals probably have weapons stashed away somewhere. They should be Mirandized.

But this guy and his brother were all over the suburban Boston neighborhoods, and known to have pipe bombs and pressure cooker bombs. The public, especially those living in those neighborhoods, need to know where they are.

A kid playing in his back yard or a vacant lot wouldn't know to call the bomb squad. Boom!!!
trynagetlaid is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #63
BigLouie
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynagetlaid View Post
That's the stupidest thing you've ever posted on here. What if in his getaway he had dropped a live bomb or left it in someone's garage or stairwell, and some kid comes along and gets blown up by it?

I'm glad we've got sane people making these decisions and not nut cases like you!
You are wrong here. If we start making exceptions when it suits us then it will get around to each of us sooner or later. Prosecutors take laws and stretch them as far as they can. The perfect example is the RICO act which prosecutors use all the time in cases for which it was never intended. If you don't realize what a real threat this is to our rights you should read up.
BigLouie is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #64
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
It's your stated positions that are incongruous, and you're obviously having trouble with the definition of "exception."
My stated positions are not incongruous and I have no trouble with the definition of exception, although you apparently do.

The circumstances under which the Miranda warning must be given are well defined by the Supreme Court, including the public safety exception - when it doesn't have to be given. So, if there is still a reasonable danger that these guys hid some unexploded bombs in the Boston area, the Supreme Court has said it is OK to ask them questions related ONLY to the bombs - such as "Do you have any more bombs hidden anywhere? How are they disarmed?"

And, if the police DO ask those questions and the surviving bomber answers, rather than asking for a lawyer, then his statements about where the bombs are may be used against him.

That is how due process is defined in these unusual circumstances.

If you have a problem with that, then it is the Supreme Court that is incongruous, not me.

Ultimately, there won't even be a question about due process if the police never use his statements against him. There is a mountain of evidence already available to convict him, including video tapes and - I would imagine DNA and/or fingerprints on unexploded bombs and weapons and possibly even on parts of detonated bombs.

The bomber could tell the cops where an unexploded booby-trapped bomb is and the police might never use the statement against him in court.

Due process rights are not violated in the abstract. The prosecutors have to try to introduce the statement in court, the bomber's lawyer has to object and then the prosecutors have to invoke and prove the public safety exception so the judge can rule it admissible (or not).

If the prosecutors never even try to use it, then no harm, no foul. This becomes an entirely hypothetical discussion.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #65
CJ7
Valued Poster

IB, the suspect has a hole in his neck and a fucked up tongue, he couldn't speak or answer a question if he wanted to ..

The End
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #66
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
They can TRY to make up an excuse, but they will fail to make it stick.

The exception only applies if the police can show that they reasonable believed that danger was imminent. If they just routinely ask every perp "Are there any guns/bombs hidden around here" as they are cuffing him, then the exception will not apply.

It is a difficult thing to show. If that wasn't the case, then every day you would read in the papers about some lawyer challenging evidence the cops got by asking a suspect about thrown away weapons prior to Mirandizing him.

Quote:
I think the exception clause in this case can be applied because of his suspected/known affiliation with a recognized terrorist organization, not just because he "may have dropped a live bomb" or not.
No! That doesn't fit the public safety exception at all.

It can't be based merely on an affiliation with terrorists. The danger has to be imminent. Unless you are pretty sure the guy just planted bombs on behalf of the terrorist organization, then the public safety exception does NOT apply.

If that wasn't the case, then you could arrest someone affiliated with Al Qaeda while he was sleeping in his home and you could skip the Miranda warnings merely because he was affiliated with AQ. THAT would be a failure of due process.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #67
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post
IB, the suspect has a hole in his neck and a fucked up tongue, he couldn't speak or answer a question if he wanted to ..

The End
He can write the response.

Not The End.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #68
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Is sedated
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #69
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Having said all that, I don't think the public safety exception is going to apply in these circumstances.

Too much time has passed. The police have already entered and searched the apartment where these guys lived and searched any vehicle they might have owned.

If they tossed a bomb out into the street, then somebody would have spotted it by now or it would have gone off.

Not that it matters much. Even if he said, "I hid a bomb in the bushes next to the house that had the boat trailer", I don't think the cops will need to use that statement in court.

There is already a mountain of evidence that will convict this guy. They don't have to use the public safety exception statements.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #70
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
He can write the response.

Not The End.

and you know he is capable of writing how?
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #71
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouie View Post
You are wrong here. If we start making exceptions when it suits us then it will get around to each of us sooner or later. Prosecutors take laws and stretch them as far as they can. The perfect example is the RICO act which prosecutors use all the time in cases for which it was never intended. If you don't realize what a real threat this is to our rights you should read up.
Well, they first recognized the public safety exception a quarter century ago.

So, where is the wave of abuse? Clearly, judges are not fooled, regardless what the prosecutors might try.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #72
CJ7
Valued Poster

he hasn't been questioned, and charges haven't been filed ... the dude is too fucked up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93I0GQ20130421
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #73
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
and you know he is capable of writing how?
And you know he is not how?

If he can nod or shake his head, or tap out letters on a keyboard, then he can make a statement. He only needs to be lucid and aware.

My only point was that the mere fact that he is having difficulty speaking does not prevent him from making a statement.

And you are arguing against this simple point, why exactly?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #74
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
And you know he is not how?

If he can nod or shake his head, or tap out letters on a keyboard, then he can make a statement. He only needs to be lucid and aware.

My only point was that the mere fact that he is having difficulty speaking does not prevent him from making a statement.

And you are arguing against this simple point, why exactly?
Im merely replying to IB, IMO the link I posted above pretty much tells the story.

feel free to argue all you want about the "if, ands or buts"
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #75
Chica Chaser
Premium Access

Encounters: 7

Quote:
feel free to argue all you want about the "if, ands or buts"
Arguing ifs, ands and buts is a specialty in the Sandbox.
Chica Chaser is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women