Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48374
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37175
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 10-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Default External hard drives?

I have misplaced my external hard drive and have been putting off getting a new one for several months. But I need to go ahead and purchase a new one.

I have a lot of gift card credit on amazon and so ... any suggestions? I don't have a lot to save but there is a lot of writing that I would hate to lose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The other one that I had seemed cumbersome. I would like to have a smaller one that is very portable.

Thanks,
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
netman
Valued Poster

How much do you have to backup? If it is not that much, maybe a 32GB or 64GB pen drive would satisfy your needs.

I have a couple of 32GB pen drives that I use to back up my main files (important documents, etc.) but I also have a couple of external drives to back everything up. They are Western Digital Passports and I have been happy with them. You can get a 1TB for around $100 - probably a lot less when on sale.

netman
netman is offline   Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
TexRich
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

there are good portable external hard drives with 1 TB (terabytes) for sale on amazon that are good from seagate and western digital:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAg...sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...sr=1-1-catcorr
TexRich is offline   Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
PT4ME
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4
My ECCIE Reviews

I like Hitachi's.... kinda sexy looking and 250GB was about 39.00 last month.

I am the keeper of the key to all of my family and most of my friends archives, and I have never had a Hitachi fail on me... (probably just cursed myself) Have you or anyone here looked into "cloud"storage yet?

-PT-
PT4ME is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Stealthguy
Under Radar; off the Grid

Default External hard drive?

As a heteralsexual male, I find the phrase, "external hard drive" an xymoron at best, technically. An emotional NIGHMARE, physically.
Stealthguy is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Stealthguy
Under Radar; off the Grid

Default Seriously ...

I'm sorry, Elisabeth,

For posting humor at your serious request. If you really just need copies of a few, small files on your PC and your PC has an open USB port, consider a "jump drive"

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....questid=124029

PM me if you need more info.
Stealthguy is offline   Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
flipsix
Valued Poster

Encounters: 37

Try the free 50GB of storage via Box.net. Saved my butt a few times. If you are just doing documents, go get a Gmail account and put the docs in Google Docs. Super easy!
flipsix is offline   Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
mrod
Valued Poster

i vote for Seagates... very reliable in my server environment. CDW 50 bucks for 500gb... small drives very portable...
mrod is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Guest120614-1
Account Disabled

Not sure if this is out of your range but if you can put this together (its very easy). I would go with a solid state hard drive and put it in and enclosure. Basically you would be building your own external drive. Solid state will last longer and be more reliable. The only draw back is that solid states are still a bit expensive so you might not get as much space. The one Im listing here from Amazon is 65 gig. I've also listed an enclosure that you can use.

Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2
$109.99

USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD EXTERNAL CASE ENCLOSURE
$5.87
Guest120614-1 is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Anyone familiar with the WD network backup drives? I fell into 2 of them the one is 500GB but I need to figure out the best way to blow out everything in the current backup and then start over.

I didn't get the original software but have downloaded it from their site.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #11
ElisabethWhispers
Female

User ID: 863
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsix View Post
Try the free 50GB of storage via Box.net. Saved my butt a few times. If you are just doing documents, go get a Gmail account and put the docs in Google Docs. Super easy!
Thanks for this helpful hint!!! I have a gmail account but I didn't know that there was google docs. I'll have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod View Post
i vote for Seagates... very reliable in my server environment. CDW 50 bucks for 500gb... small drives very portable...
This sounds like my speed. And I want a small one. Still thinking. This subject gives me a headache!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMonger View Post
Not sure if this is out of your range but if you can put this together (its very easy). I would go with a solid state hard drive and put it in and enclosure. Basically you would be building your own external drive. Solid state will last longer and be more reliable. The only draw back is that solid states are still a bit expensive so you might not get as much space. The one Im listing here from Amazon is 65 gig. I've also listed an enclosure that you can use.

Crucial 64 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT064M4SSD2
$109.99

USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD EXTERNAL CASE ENCLOSURE
$5.87
This sounds so appealing to me. Make my own. But since Lazurus's statement below doesn't even make sense to me (I have limited tech knowledge) ... I feel that this, along with certain wet dreams, I could screw up.

Would there be a way to prevent messing this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazurusLong View Post
Anyone familiar with the WD network backup drives? I fell into 2 of them the one is 500GB but I need to figure out the best way to blow out everything in the current backup and then start over.

I didn't get the original software but have downloaded it from their site.
What does "blow out everything in the current backup" mean? Is it taking the information on one and putting it on another? I wouldn't mind knowing that either, since at some point ... I hope to find the hard drive that is missing that has all of the stuff from my old computer that died on it.

I SO appreciate the input!!! Now ... someone needs to answer Lazurus's question. There seems to be a dearth of computer folks on this board!!! (I promise to do better with my learning. I promise to do better with my learning. I need to write this about a hundred times!)

Thanks again!
Elisabeth
ElisabethWhispers is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
netman
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers View Post
This subject gives me a headache!!!
Then lets keep it simple. The first question you need to answer is...

"How much data do I need to back up?"

If you only need to back up 4GB of data, there is no point in getting a 1TB backup drive.

If you need to backup 500GB of data, that is a completely different story.

netman
netman is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

EW,

Since I don't know anything about the drive, it came filled with data and I can see the directory listing through my router but do not want to give it permission to send anything to my computer due to it potentially having a virus.

I want to be able to initialize the drive back to factory settings but because it is a network drive and has backup software in place and running when it is plugged in, I'm asking if anyone has any experience.

I may just remove the drive, slave it to my backup desktop then wipe it using something like Partition Magic.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
zebraman
Registered Member

Encounters: 3

I have an iomega that I got at Office Depot for around $70. It is the size of a deck of cards (a little thinner). I just wonder what is on there and who is reading the stuff you lost!
zebraman is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women