Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70709
biomed162537
Yssup Rider60373
gman4453226
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48442
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41546
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35923
Mojojo33117

Old 06-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
NeedingMore
Valued Poster

Encounters: 18
Wink Google Voice

I hope this can help out hobbyist and providers alike and save you some money.

Google voice is now available to the general public. What is so great about this is that you can essentially add another line to a cell phone, like the iPhone. You get a unique phone number that you choose, can make and recieve calls with this number, an if you miss a call, the voicemail is transcribed for you. I just signed up last night, but thought my friends here could utilize this tool.

Here's the link: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

BTW, I don't work for Google.

Anyone wishing to pass on their savings to me is appreciated. Rest assured it will all stay in the family and be used for hobbying.
NeedingMore is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Has anyone figured out how to initiate the first text message without internet access? Can it be done?

If I receive a text to my Google Voice number, I can reply. The originator's number is one Google assigned when I got the text but it goes to the originator (how long do they keep that number association?).
OldGrump is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
NeedingMore
Valued Poster

Encounters: 18

I haven't played with it long, buy I think that is part of the settings when you set up what number shows up.

I think the assumption is that you always have Internet on because it's designed for smartphones.

Hope that helps.
NeedingMore is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Even though I have a "smart" phone (Blackberry), I've dumbed it down to just phone & text. I can place calls using the GV number etc., and I can return texts (but not originate them without going on-line). That may be the case unless I opt to add data services (which I fought so hard with AT&T to leave off along with their charges). I only use my phone for calls, text, and appointments (which I sync with Outlook via USB).

People sending texts to my GV number show up as a 972-xxx-xxx number that is used if I respond. I guess Google assigns the number to theirs when they text me. I would like to know how long that number is associated with theirs. If forever, there are only a limited number to go around & Google doesn't own them all.

Just curious. I'm pretty good at workarounds.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Well lazy me. I "Googled" my question & found all the answers. That 406 or 972 # GV assigns when someone texts you is "their" new text #. When you want to text them (other than just reply), sms to that number & they'll get it - permanently.

Other than that, you can not originate a text to someone from whom you have not received a text without going through GV on-line (either via PC or smart phone).

I thought I'd post the answer to my own question in case anyone else out there was forgetting to use the "Original Google" (search). :-(
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
aka
Always On

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrump View Post
Well lazy me. I "Googled" my question & found all the answers. That 406 or 972 # GV assigns when someone texts you is "their" new text #. When you want to text them (other than just reply), sms to that number & they'll get it - permanently.
That is friggin awesome, oldgrump. I've been using Google voice for a while and didn't have a clue about that. God bless sparsely populated Montana for making available numbers from their 406 area code.
aka is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
blackspanishteacher
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 1453
My ECCIE Reviews

Google Voice is awesome! I've been using it since about September. I simply had enough of juggling two cell phones and constantly having to add minutes to the prepaid.
blackspanishteacher is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
OldGrump
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackspanishteacher View Post
Google Voice is awesome! I've been using it since about September. I simply had enough of juggling two cell phones and constantly having to add minutes to the prepaid.
Right you are. My hobby cell is only 15 / mo in 2 mo increments, but remembering to renew in time to keep my carry over minutes has been a pain.

All I have to get used to is sending an initial text from GV on my computer. With the response forwarded to my cell, I'll have the GV assigned # for that person.

And, best of all, one less thing to have to carry in my pockets!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Xhozt
Registered Member

Encounters: 2

any one needs help with this hit me up ;-) ive used this since it was grand central and would love to help other hobbyists out ;-)
Xhozt is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
OldGrump
Valued Poster

A hint for Blackberry users: keep your "special" numbers on your SIM card and the rest on the BB Contacts. I thought of this today when I realized my contacts show on my GPS when using Bluetooth to dial. The ones on the SIM card apparently do not.

I'd sure hate to be cruising down the road and tell my SO "hey, why don't we call so and so" only to watch her page through some strange looking entries.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Guest062124
Account Disabled

User ID: 34
My ECCIE Reviews

I love Google voice. You can set it to "do not disturb" if you won't be available for awhile and all of your texts and voicemails will be sent to your email! Awesome!
Guest062124 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women