Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37175
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28
Default STORM DAMAGES/INSURANCE

Some areas of Dallas got hit hard yesterday with hail....myself being one.

Any recommendations on how to deal with the insurance companies to leverage the best deal with respect to valuation of the damages and covered repairs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Tons of good quality photos. I have a neighbor dealing with a downed tree from a couple months back and seems they were giving him the run around. But I had taken a bunch of photos for him and once they saw them they quit the bullshit.

You also need to know before filing a claim just what to say. In his case, if he had said the tree had been rotten, the higher deductible of 1% would have been in play but if it was simply hit by lightening or blown over from a high wind, then only the $250.

So guess what sort of photos I took? Any bets on whether any sign of dead wood or rot was to be found?

Check your policy and ask before filing.

**Edit to add after alca590's post

Roofing is one of the most jacked up trades around and if you have hail damage on your roof, be very wary of the companies out there. You'll find tons of scammers running around.

Be sure that anyone you are dealing with has been around a good 5 years or so and at the least, check with the Better Business Bureau.

Ask for references from the potential roofer. But better than that, ask for the last 10 jobs they have done and tell them you want to see what they did.

Hail breaks up the shingles and over time can allow water to make it through to the felt and then through the nail holes into the attic and house. IF you have more than one layer of shingles demand they take it down to the bare wood (BTW, that cost is not yours to cover, but theirs) and have the wood checked for rot and damage. Wet wood will rot and spread if not fixed and simply ignoring it means worse problems for you down the road. Homes today use what is called OSB or what we called "chip board" when I worked as a framing carpenter doing summer jobs and once that gets wet, it is crap and will fail so any wet wood needs inspected and replaced.

Be sure to check the current grade of shingles. A good roofer can typically tell by the thickness and you are entitled to go back with the same grade (better on your dime). I had my roof done in 1993 and the original shingles were a superior quality, if I recall, a 30 year shingle, but at the time 20 year replacement was the best they could do.

When doing the roof, be sure to check out ridge vents and attic efficiency. Roofing and venting has come so far since homes built 50 years ago and even newer homes may not have taken advantage of the current energy savings potential. Hell, the new sheeting that has the reflective surface to keep the heat out is not much more than regular wood but pays for itself in a few years and you can check if it can be installed right over the current decking or not but why not ask?

Anything extra like better shingles or upgraded decking will be out of your pocket but your roofer can work with you.

In Dallas you MUST have a permit or they can and sometimes will make you tear the new roof off and do it again so that $500 cost of the permit must be included.

The permit was needed because of all the fly by night crews illegally dumping shingles.

If you live in an HOA, check the bylaws about color choices but many people forget that darker colors absorb so much more heat than lighter colors and so if you can, choose the lightest color you are allowed. There are also many types of "green" roof choices
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
alca590
Gaining Momentum

get a reputable roofer and have him there when the insurance companies adjuster is there looking at the roof. The roofer works for you and the better job he does with the adjuster, the better off you will be with getting your roof and damages replaced.

I had my roofer there when the insurance adjuster came out and he pointed out every little detail and he got a really good amount of money from the insurance company that he didn't charge me my full deductible. I got a great deal with very little out of pocket.

Adjusters don't like this, but they have to deal with it.
alca590 is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Thanks a bunch Alca590; just the kind of information I was looking for.

And the scammers are out in full force today.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

First, it depends on who your carrier is. If you have a main line carrier like Allstate, State Farm, Farmers', etc., the odds are that they will treat you reasonably well. If hail damage to your roof is the primary problem, the biggest issues is going to be 1) the age of your roof versus the number of years it was rated for; and 2) whether they will claim that any damage to the roof comes from previous storms.

On the other hand, if you have a county mutual company, or have a non-standard defined risks policy (rather than the old Homeowner's A form), you're somewhat more likely to have a problem.

Another issue is whether you have a contractor in mind to do the repairs to the roof. The roofing business if full of fly-by-night companies that come and go following storms; or open and reopen to avoid honoring their warranties; and all sorts of other nefarious practices. I always tell my clients to find a company that has been in the roofing business for around 20 years and hire them to do the work. That sort of longevity means that they probably do decent work; that they will probably be around in case to honor the workmanship warranty if you have any problems; and that generally you're not dealing with some fly by night outfit.

I would get them to do an estimate before the adjuster comes and give it to the adjuster. The adjuster will sometimes try to get you to use the insurance company's "preferred provider". Only do this is the insurance company will provide a written warranty for their work on the same terms as your roofer's warranty. Also read the fine print on the warranty. Plus, a warranty from a insurance company that won't be there in two or three years is worthless. You're entitled to use whoever your want to repair the damage (although you are only entitled to the reasonable value of repair).

Finally, make sure that you take all necessary steps to mitigate your damages. Seal up the leaks you can seal up. Move vulnerable furniture, etc. Being cooperative, polite, and reasonable (but not a pushover) always helps.

Finally, if you need help, don't be afraid to call a Democratic tort lawyer -- there really aren't any other kind. That's what we're here for. After all, if half the insurance companies treated half the people half right half the time, we'd be doing something else for a living, now, wouldn't we.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Texasquest
Valued Poster

Encounters: 18

Im in the roofing Business our company has been in business for 32 years..TexTushHog is right on for the most part..the only exception i will take is the Estimate before the Adjuster shows up..It doesnt mater what price you are quoted by a roofing company..The insurance co. will come up with their own numbers anyway and only pay off of their numbers..So dont waste your time trying to get estimates before hand.. and to add to TTH's suggestions Remeber you are the Ins Co. Customer..not the other way around.if you dont agree with thier assesement let them know and demand another adjuster come back and reinspect.. I also cand not reiterate enough how important it is to have a professional that works for you that knows the ins and outs of the business..IE what is Damage and what isnt..Someone that can and will be present when the adjuster is on your roof..IT is harder for them to deny any damage when someone that knows better is looking over their shoulder..I have seen many claims Denied that when reinspected with a roofer present were then bought by the insurance co..is amazing how much more they see when someone is pointing out the damage to them..Not all adjusters are bad..some are more than Fair..just like anything the bad ones give the good ones a bad name..having a representative working in your behalf does not guarantee anything but it sure gives you a better chance ..
Texasquest is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

However, if you have your own estimate, whether before or after the adjuster arrives, it does help to find out where the estimates differ. The you can set about documenting that your estimate is the more accurate of the two. But be sure you document extensively with both notes and photographs.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

All very good information. Thanks.

Because of the wide spread amount of damages; it is difficult to even get written estimates from the "reputable" companies. They don't have the personnel to spend the time I guess.

My insurance company (big firm) say they estimate they have 21,000 auto claims in DFW for the storm !
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
cupcak
Lifetime Premium Access

I've been in the industry since the 70s'
yes I'm old-if anyone has questions or
need help-please pm me
cupcak is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #10
gsw123
Account Disabled

Default Storm

I am a insurance adjuster state of texas and have a roofing company. If I can helpp email gsw123@live .com thanks
gsw123 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women