Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > Coed Discussions - Dallas
test
Coed Discussions - Dallas Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 276
George Spelvin 266
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70743
biomed162816
Yssup Rider60510
gman4453249
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48506
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41948
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36336
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Guest061614
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5
Default Why Punctuation Rules Can Matter

In the world of hi-tech gadgetry, I've noticed that more and more people who send text messages, emails, and post on boards like ours here have long forgotten the art of proper grammar rules including capitalization.

For those of you who fall into this category, please take note of the following statement...

"Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

Is everybody clear on that?
Guest061614 is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 54

This isn't the same but it involves texting. I meant to send "cant wait", but I hit the buttons too fast and "2nt wait" came out. The provider thought I meant tonight instead of our agreed upon time and she left the incall.

Not sure she still believes me.
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
Waldo P. Emerson-Jones
Feed the Beaver

I think you're missing a comma between "rules" and "including." I'd also like to see a colon rather than an ellipses for introducing your quote, but maybe that's more a matter of style?

I think it should also be "people who send text messages and emails, and who post . . ." rather than "people who send text messages, emails, and post . . . ." Alternatively, you could go with "posts" but "people who send . . . posts on boards like ours here" sounds wrong to my ear.
Waldo P. Emerson-Jones is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
gptxman
BANNED

Encounters: 49

IMO if people would worry more about themselves and less about what everyone else is doing the board would much better. It is simple if you don't like a thread or post for one reason or another (even grammar) then pass it by to move on to one you do like. If you find your self not able to find one that doesn't have something in it you like, possibly the problem is you and you need to move on to a different board. Possibly one with more perfect people that you can relate to.

Sure there are threads and post that are a little difficult to read but for the most part they are easy enough to figure out. I am sure some of these are possibly done by me as well but it is what it is. This is a board for all types of people with all types of education back grounds so the threads and post will always be done in much different ways. I know personally I am way too old to give a shit about things that don't directly effect my way of life so my motto is live and let live. Also IMO as long as the thread or post gets the point across then the way it was done (proper or not) doesn't mean much.
gptxman is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Guest070413
Account Disabled

User ID: 59862
My ECCIE Reviews

budrn ..it's like you are in my head. I just posted that quote a few days ago on another thread because it humors me.
http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=266154&page=4
Guest070413 is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Guest061614
Account Disabled

Thanks for the advice guys. Points well taken here. While I see all your points, the goal of asking for posters to try to adhere to accepted writing style is to:

1) Minimize chances for miscommunication. (see original joke)
2) Make it not be a chore for the reader.

You are right in advising that if it is truly bothersome it is ripe for being ignored. If posters want their words to be read, perhaps they might try a bit harder.

I suppose recommending composing first in MS Word and taking advantage of the spell-check and grammar suggestions, then copying and pasting into the eccie editor is a bridge too far, but I can dream!

p.s. There's a colon!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
IMAPACKIN
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

HAHAHAHA!!!!
IMAPACKIN is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Guest061614
Account Disabled

Sorry Elisa, the tidbit was sent to me by a friend in an email. Promise I didn't copy you. All credit to you for being there first! I just thought it was appropriate and funny too.

budrn
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
Abraham
Valued Poster

Encounters: 30

<-----Grammar polliceman......I also make my share of mistakes, but i try and obey the rules.
Abraham is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
berkleigh
Wicked Tryst dot net

User ID: 791
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Agreed!
Agreed!
Agreed!
berkleigh is offline   Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
Guest070413
Account Disabled

User ID: 59862
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by budrn View Post
Sorry Elisa, the tidbit was sent to me by a friend in an email. Promise I didn't copy you. All credit to you for being there first! I just thought it was appropriate and funny too.

budrn
I will fight the urge to stock up on apologies and admit that yours is not necessary, but thank you. I found the quote really funny and am glad you shared! You didn't copy me, I was being playful with you in my last post. Maybe it didn't translate to playful so well. I am awesome at reading, but a mediocre writer. Sometimes things get lost in translation.

However, I believe Charles Caleb Colten said, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". If that is true then we can stick to you copied me.? Ya that's it.
Guest070413 is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
PODarkness
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

I agree that spelling and punctuation are important, but there is also this quote...

I know i should have focused more on what you were saying in the text rather than the fact that you spelled "suicidal" wrong
PODarkness is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #13
johnnylongcaulking
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

Perfect punctuation and capitalization are not necessary to succeed at written communication. However, using them greatly increases your ability to communicate with people who actually know how to read and write which appears to be the vast majority of people in America. I've stopped reading threads that had useful perspectives and information simply because my eyes were on the verge of bleeding from the unending and uninterrupted string of incoherent and/or disjointed thoughts. A person has the right to type however they want but if they are trying to actually get people to read their opinions for the purposes of swaying them one way or another, that person may want to learn to use periods and paragraphs at a minimum. If you are offended by this, my advice to you is pull out your battery powered friend and put him/her to work for you to ease some of that tension. (A polite way of saying, "Go fuck yourself.")
johnnylongcaulking is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
stilettokitty
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews
Default punctuation police ;)

Where is my sweet friend Wordsmith??

stilettokitty is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
cheatercheater
Prowler

Encounters: 71

I didn't realize that this site doubles as the dating game. I would certainly look for brains and beauty, along with charm, before deciding on a date.
Give me a country gal who could care less where she inserts punctuation marks, but knows where to insert my manhood, and I am happy. Maybe I need to expand my provider base to include English professors. Maybe then I would get spanked first for improper punctuation when asking for an appointment, and another for improper enunciation while grunting out an orgasm.
cheatercheater is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women