Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 275
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70716
biomed162672
Yssup Rider60409
gman4453227
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48456
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41675
CryptKicker37183
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
The_Waco_Kid36061
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #1
john_galt
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Since it came up; boycotts

Boycotts are all the rage it seems today. Do people really understand how boycotts work? I have my doubts so let me do a little explaining.

The most famous boycotts in the US occurred during the Civil Rights era in the south. How did they work then? The black community DID NOT boycott an entire industry or region to make their point. They boycotted only the businesses that were not living up to their obligations. The most famous would have to be the bus lines of Montgomery, AL. They did not boycott the buses in Texas or Georgia. They boycotted the buses in Montgomery, AL. If Al's Lunch counter forced black people to eat outside or would not serve black people at all then Al got boycotted.

A boycott is a very specific thing. You have to target just the guilty and you have to be effective. Like a hunger strike, once you start you can't quit until it is done. If you are going to boycott a local gas station to punish a chain then realize if you are successful then the local station will go away. You may think you are punishing the ones in charge but they will get their golden parachutes and retire. The person owning the local station will go out of business.

In reference to BP the boycotters think they are being tough but it is the investigators who are the tough ones. We want criminal charges and personal fines that can't be passed on to the consumer.

Another thing, the boycott against Arizona is also counterproductive. Many of the businesses being boycotted are owned or managed by Hispanic people. So if the boycotts win then many Hispanic Arizonians will loose their livelihood but, I guarantee, Arizona will continue to exist. Arizona provides 25 % of the power for Los Angeles and Arizona could make their own boycott if pushed.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Omahan
Secretary of State

I had to laugh when they first started the AZ boycott they include AZ Green Tea. AZ Green Tea is just a name. The company is based in New York.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Guest052813-01
Account Disabled

Encounters: 16

IMHO, a boycott is another "knee-jerk" reaction that only those that are not thinking rationally think makes a difference. It does nothing but hurt the local business who may be licensing the name of the national company (as JG stated) not the national company itself.

Fortunately, in the case of BP, there are other providers of gasoline out there, so to not go to a BP station is a matter choice in most cases (besides, BP gas is usually 3 to 5 cents more expensive than QuikTrip or Conoco/Phillips). But, if you do not go to a gas station that provides gas from a BP refinery, you might be searching the area for a while.

O - does this mean that these people will also boycott Arizona Jean Co. (a private label by JCPenney - a Dallas-based company who gets their jeans from Mexico)?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
john_galt
Valued Poster

I really don't mind liberals, I just want well-informed, thoughtful liberals. (Of course if you are both of those you won't be a liberal anymore)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

It's really funny to see someone talking about boycotting oil/gas because it's a fungible commodity. If you refuse to buy gasoline because it's labeled "BP," you'll simply end up buying the same gasoline from an Exxon station. BP's cash register still goes "ka-ching." Yes, the poor, hard working local BP franchisee may lose money and have to pay to put up signs for a new gasoline brand on his store, but BP won't be hurt much.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
catnipdipper
Valued Poster

Default Boycotts

Well I boycott Fox News, but I also boycott MSNBC.

I also don't mind conservatives when I can find one that can go 3 exchanges deep without resorting to sound bites from highly paid conservative commentators of little depth. Human programming of negativity and hate.

It is all marketing in my opinion and creating a perception becomes someone's reality.

Were you the dude with the N Korean midget submarine rumor that Obama let pass in the sea lanes off the Gulf?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
vitokc
Valued Poster

Encounters: 32

I think boycotts can be effective when focused and done correctly. I boycott everyday; businesses with rude employees, crappy service, mediocre products. That limits my selection, but I stick to those businesses as long as they provide what I want and need. One thing I hate is when cities enter agreements with private businesses stipulating they will be exclusive providers for a specific product or service. That limits our selection and the businesses have no incentive to provide great service.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
catnipdipper
Valued Poster

Default Boycott

If the Arizona Law in question was passed by legislature and signed by the Governor and perhaps supported by the people of the state.....Who or what would be the target of a boycott other than the state?

Many Hispanic legislators and civic leaders are supporting the boycott and other than 1 maverick Sheriff the police are appalled at what they are being asked to do.

Why not have John McCain if he survives the primary and John Kyl modify and submit this bill to the U.S. Congress and see where it might go.

Any delay in Immigration Reform is on the shoulders of Congress as no one will submit a bill for fear of political reprisal and having to debate this in public and take a stand.

Someone have the guts to do so and let's deal with it in a rational manner.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Encounters: 36

I'm boycotting boycotts...that'll show 'em.

We have a local station here in Topeka on Wanamaker. It used to be a Cenex or something like that, but they lost their franchise and took the signs down (sign was next to the dumpster for months). Finally somebody else bought the place, polished the place up, got the stink out, and apparently got their shit together enough to get franchised with BP. I've talked to the guy who manages it, and the owner has several stations in town, but he is a local owner. Now doesn't this owner primarily make his money on soda pop and ding dongs? Isn't the gas sale nearly a wash, and sometimes just break even on credit card sales? Gas is the draw that gets customers there, but the real money is on the 2 cent fountain drink he sells for over a dollar.

I just can't wrap my mind around how a boycott of his station would do anything but hurt the local owner, and the people working there. The cashiers aren't bad people, because they sell gasoline. This station has operated under a different franchise, and even without a franchise name...so I suppose they could just change the name, if there were a serious boycott.

BTW, south of Topeka, on Topeka BLVD, there is a fuel farm. There are cross country pipelines leading to this farm. I see trucks from this place at gas stations all over town...from this one source....so it seems fundamentally impossible to target for boycott oil/gas from one particular company.

I think the only way a boycott would hurt BP would be if enough people bailed on their franchise agreements, in response to the boycotts...but fundamentally that means that local owners would have to be hurt bad first, before BP felt any pinch.....and quite frankly, alot of oil companies are trying to get out of the fillign station business anyway, to concentrate on oil.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
KCJoe
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

I've always wondered if gasoline is like natural gas. Refineries all use the same pipeline and what comes out the end is a combination from many suppliers. And it is true that the BP gas stations may have only a small percentage ownership by BP if any and any vandalism on those stations only hurts a local businessman, not BP.

The only thing I would boycott is Fred Phelps church.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJoe View Post
I've always wondered if gasoline is like natural gas. Refineries all use the same pipeline and what comes out the end is a combination from many suppliers.
Essentially yes. Various grades of crude, gasoline, and other petroleum products go into a pipeline and go to a hub. Exxon might put their gasoline into the system in Alabama, and immediately draw it out in Galveston. If some other company is "moving" gasoline from Galveston to Alabama, no gasoline necessarily flows through a pipeline at all. You might even put gasoline "through the system" even between locations that aren't connected with a pipeline at all.

If Exxon is putting more gasoline into the system than they're drawing out, it gets sold at the spot price. If Chevron is withdrawing more gasoline than they're putting in, they pay for it at the spot price.

If everyone stops buying "BP" gas and buys "Exxon" gas instead, that simply means that BP puts gasoline into the hub system gets paid for it, and Exxon buys it from the system.

In reality, the system is more complicated than that with contracts, transportation costs, etc., but that's the basic way the system works.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Cheaper2buyit
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

most gas stations are privite own & the non name brand ones buy from whom every is cheaper. But the big deal is most gas stations only make about 40 to 5 cents on a dollar on gas.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
vitokc
Valued Poster

Encounters: 32

Thats right Cheaper, they are hoping you come in hungry and buy the coffee, chips, soft drinks, cigarrettes, phone cards, etc..the list goes on and on. The gas gets you there, but most of leave with more. The mark up on some of that stuff is amazing. Like the Little Debbie treats. You can buy a box of a 12 for 3-4.00, then sell them individually for 50-75 cents apiece.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Guest090920
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
I really don't mind liberals, I just want well-informed, thoughtful liberals. (Of course if you are both of those you won't be a liberal anymore)
Now that's a good one and sure to get longermonger riled up!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 AM   #15
john_galt
Valued Poster

Catnipper be careful. I did not come up with the N Korean minisub, I just posted a link because I had heard the story. Don't start putting words in my mouth.
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women