Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 395
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70761
biomed162989
Yssup Rider60642
gman4453274
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48582
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42256
CryptKicker37200
The_Waco_Kid36644
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 01-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11
Default The alternative Republican Healthcare Plan

Nothing.
Longermonger is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
N2SEX46
Valued Poster

Encounters: 44

Oh Contrare, Longer. They DO have an alternative Healthcare Plan and it has been in effect ever since Harry Truman was president. What is their plan?

DON'T GET SICK!!!
N2SEX46 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Actually, nothing is preferable over Obamacare.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
thorough9
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

Just out of curiosity, exactly why do individuals disagree with obama's health care plan, or are people just sticking to their "party line"?
thorough9 is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
N2SEX46
Valued Poster

Encounters: 44

I wish he'd have kept the public option. He did say the plan wasn't perfect, so what I believe his intention was to pass it, then work on the parts that need strengthening and parts that need to be fixed or removed. I suggest this because he most likely wanted to wrap it up and get onto other things. He spent entirely too much time trying to work with the GOP folks and yet he refused to budge on things he wanted. The Repubs didn't help much, but remember Mitch McConnell has said all along that his goal is to unseat Obama in 2012 and the only way to do that is to make him and any of his agenda look bad or foolish. Before the GOP left me, I was a Republican who wanted to see a health plan, though I can't say I'm too crazy about the one in place. What I found sad was that Gov. Palin making up lies (like death panels, etc.) and the GOP riding on her coat tails with other untrue things said about it.
During my last trip to LA, I broke my elbow, went to the ER and got it fixed up to get me back home to KC. However, my insurance wasn't accepted (TriCare), but the illegal alien (we conversed a few minutes in Spanish/Latin) had his broken arm fixed up and didn't have to pay. I'll get reimbursed, so no problem, but is it any wonder that California is bankrupt at the tune of billions of dollars? That was his third time in that hospital/clinic for injuries at work. His employer didn't pay for his injuries. I felt for the guy and bought him a burger and fries and he told me he thought America has the best health plan anywhere. I told him that Obamacare might not cover him when it goes into effect, but he laughed and said I was wrong. Maybe I am, too, time will tell. I have to suggest you're correct on your assessment as being "party line", Thorough9. It seems the two and a half (Tea Party included) party system puts politics over the good of the people who put them in to represent us. Speaking only for myself, I wanted to see a health plan put into place, but transparency was a promise that wasn't kept during the debates on this and other issues. After the new congressmen were sworn into office, the Republicans held a fund raising party right after. That should tell you where their priorities are, I'm sure the Dems as well. Thanks for letting me vent.
N2SEX46 is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
duhduh
Registered Member

Encounters: 7

How come republicans are so against "obamacare"? Do they not realize that this law is basically the exact same thing that Dole proposed when Clinton was trying to get healthcare passed back in the 90s?
duhduh is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
Guest052813-01
Account Disabled

Encounters: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhduh View Post
How come republicans are so against "obamacare"? Do they not realize that this law is basically the exact same thing that Dole proposed when Clinton was trying to get healthcare passed back in the 90s?
The main reason that there is opposition to Obamacare is because the individual mandate, whereby the Congress mandates that everyone must purchase health care insurance or be penalized by the IRS, is unconstitutional - a violation of the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

It isn't that Republicans are opposed to Obamacare, it's that Conservatives and Tea-Party supporters are opposed to the idea of government control of 1/6 of the US economy - as well as 2/3 of the voting public who oppose Obamacare (of course, depending on the poll, this ratio fluctuates from 50/50 to 75/25 opposed). Bob Dull may have made this proposal, but Bob Dull is no Conservative - he is a moderate, beltway GOP - part of the group that were brought into the Congress in the mid 70's hoping that they would find favor with the Dems in control of the Congress at that time as well as the beltway media so they would be invited to the party scene in Washington. The members of the Senate from the northeast - Olympia Snowe, Susan Collins, Scott Brown - are of the same ilk. If Obama hadn't proposed this, they would have probably voted for it.
Guest052813-01 is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Encounters: 36

"How come republicans are so against "obamacare"?"

I think the more appropriate question would be:

"How come Obama's supporters don't like the healthcare plan?"

Over 700 waivers have been granted (lots of them to public employee unions). The waivers represent approximately 2.2 million employees....assuming each employee represents a household of 1.5 people, thats 3 million people, or 1% of the people in this country are already exempt....oh yeah, plus congress.

What makes these people so special? Good for the goose, good for the gander...right? I guess you just have to know the right people .

But really, why does Bowman Sheet Metal Heating and Air Conditioning, with 4 employees get a waiver. Or how about the Indiana Area UFCW Union Locals, with 6,885 members? Or here's a biggie - Security Benefit Fund of the Uniformed Firefighters Asssociation of New York City - 23,900 members.

Seriously, how come all these guys don't want to participate in Obamacare? They sound like organizations who would be likely supporters of his campaign...so why don't they like it?
lacrew_2000 is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
blackcube87
Registered Member

Encounters: 1

Hello, I am a constant reader on this site but I rarely post, I thought I just put my 2 cents.

The reason why people are against Obamacare, or at least the big reason why I am against it, is because it is just another way for the federal government to increase in power. That, to me, is why we have a lot of the problems we do in our country and why we are so broke and ineffecient, our federal government is too big. People try to compare us to other countries like Canada or the UK, but we can't be compared to them. We have 10 times the population of Canada and 5 times of the UK. We also have a vast variety of climate and ways of living in America as well with the swamps in FL, the desert in AZ, the paradise in Los Angeles, the cold in MN, etc. We are a country of vast climate and topography where Canada is just snow, trees, and mountains all across the board. This country is too big and complicated for the federal government to do what they do. Something like health care should be ran locally by politicians that know their area and people better. Guys like Obama are out of touch with most of America, same thing with all politicians. They know their area and represent it well but that is it. I can see why people want the public of option, there are times I want it by pure simplicity of not having to fill out insurance papers just to get something simple done. I would also like to private option as well just in case I need heart surgery because, just like the school system, the private option would be better than the public if you can afford the private.

I guess to really show why/how the federal government having too much power is a problem we can simply talk about taxes. The federal government has its tax breaks and what not and so does the state and local government. So people and companies are being taxed by both the state and federal level and as a result certain people get screwed and certain people benefit. Democrats are especially great at complicating the tax system at the federal level which is why businesses are so scared to hire people, which in turn, contribruted to the recession and high unemployment(they aren't the only reason, Republicans and the general public are to blame as well). The federal government should have one tax, the flat federal income tax. No tax breaks or increase, just one tax. All those tax breaks should be set at the local level. Obama wanted a tax increase for families making $200,000+ a year and he called it rich. Well in KC that may be rich for a family of 4, but in NYC that is more middle class. A family have 4 won't have enough to save. While I can see why places like Los Angeles(with all its rich celebrities) want a tax increase on rich, places like St. Joseph, MO don't really need it. The federal government is needed and it should control some things like the army, production of currency, the Supreme Court, the FBI, but it shouldn't control as much as it does. If we saw a huge decrease in power by the federal government, elimate all its tax breaks or increases and have the flat tax, and allow the local government to control the tax cuts and issues like health care, than we would see a better ran country. Sorry for writing a book, this is an issue I do feel strongly about.
blackcube87 is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
bigryan222
Account Disabled

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrew_2000 View Post
"How come republicans are so against "obamacare"?"

I think the more appropriate question would be:

"How come Obama's supporters don't like the healthcare plan?"

Over 700 waivers have been granted (lots of them to public employee unions). The waivers represent approximately 2.2 million employees....assuming each employee represents a household of 1.5 people, thats 3 million people, or 1% of the people in this country are already exempt....oh yeah, plus congress.

What makes these people so special? Good for the goose, good for the gander...right? I guess you just have to know the right people .

But really, why does Bowman Sheet Metal Heating and Air Conditioning, with 4 employees get a waiver. Or how about the Indiana Area UFCW Union Locals, with 6,885 members? Or here's a biggie - Security Benefit Fund of the Uniformed Firefighters Asssociation of New York City - 23,900 members.

Seriously, how come all these guys don't want to participate in Obamacare? They sound like organizations who would be likely supporters of his campaign...so why don't they like it?
I believe the exemption for the Unions is because their health benefits are good enough where they either are, or soon could become "Luxury Plans" that would get taxed more. When trying to sell the luxury plan portion of it they make it sound like it is only the CEOs that get them. A lot of government employees are close to the same level, many unions have negotiated the luxury plan levels over they years.
bigryan222 is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

One of the more recognized waivers is for McDonald's. Why? McDonalds offers their near minimum wage employees what I call a true Insurance Plan. None of this putting all your money in a big pot, and drawing it back out for everyday things like check-ups. Its really insurance...in case you get really sick or seriously injured. That keeps the premiums real low. That style of insurance plan does not meet the requirements of the healthcare law. Ok, Ronald's gotta pay the fine, whatever....but wait...they just get a waiver instead.

The unions already got an exemption to the cadillac plan tax, embedded in the law until 2017. Don't know why...seems to violate the equal protection clause, but what else is new. So that's not why they applied for the waivers.

Why then? Many of these unions operate as health insurers themselves....and there is a very inconvienent part of the law which limits what percentage of overhead can be charged. Its one of the primary drivers which will ultimately make private insurance non-competitive with the 'health exchanges'....unless Kathleen Sebelius deems you worthy of a waiver.

Frankly, I can identify several businesses on the list, which are in the same business as I am. One of them is a direct competitor to our company. The playing field has suddenly been tilted. I just want to know what makes them so special...or at least who we should write the check to, and how much.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
KCJoe
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

I think with this economy, businesses are going to continue to look at ways to cut costs. One of the most expensive benefits they offer is health insurance. I think they will continue to look at ways to shift this cost to employees or look at ways to eliminate this benefit entirely. Health insurance was an incentive to get and keep good employees, but businesses are increasingly treating employees as a commodity that can be replaced easily. As more and more Americans don't have insurance, there will be a growing cry for the government to do something, not just leave it to the free market to take care of. I think if someone who wants to buy health insurance, and can’t get it on the open market because of a preexisting condition, should be able to buy into medicare or some other form of public option.
KCJoe is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
thorough9
Valued Poster

Encounters: 57

Both parties seek to increase the power of the federal government, the difference lies in the areas in which they seek to increase federal power.

Democrats want to increase taxes for the richest americans - those who can afford to pay more taxes and continue to live comfortably, provide a health care plan, etc.

Republicans want to decrease taxes -and not necessarily for you- unless you're rich or wealthy, and tell you who you can sleep with and marry - ask Matt Bartle.

If given a choice, i think that i'd like to be in control of the more intimate details of my life even if that means paying a few more taxes, I'm not rich, so tax increases don't really apply to me.

I'm in favor of a flat tax so that everyone pays their fair share, but who controls how the taxes are allocated - local governments.

The federal government needs to standardize and regulate the affairs of the nation and take certain decisions out of the states' hands - a la Alexander Hamilton. Imagine each state having separate control of almost every aspect of daily life - wait - they already do, down to the city and county level. Ex. Strip Clubs in MO and KS; police involvement -daily patrols and vice raids; and zoning ordinances. The federal government is really not as involved in the daily lives of the every-day-man as some would have you to believe. KCMO's mayor and board helped to boost the city's tax-rate(9.25% for food) as well as surrounding individual city councils making this area one of the highest taxed in the country. The federal government had nothing to do with that.
thorough9 is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Concept backwards?

The healthcare bill actually offers a very strong incentive for employers to drop people's coverage. The fine is $2,000 a person, after the first 30 people. So in a 50 person company, that's $800 a person....a 300 person company, $1,800 a head, etc.

Most plans cost ALOT more than $2,000 a person. So yes, these are tough financial times, and yes, companies now have a very strong incentive to drop people's coverage. Kinda creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 AM   #15
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Not a flat tax, but a consumption tax.
BigMikeinKC is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women