Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Kansas and Missouri > Kansas City Metro > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT hobby-related, then you're in the right place!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70710
biomed162543
Yssup Rider60381
gman4453226
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48446
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41564
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35941
Mojojo33117

Old 11-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
kcbigpapa
Premium Access

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrew_2000 View Post
All taxes will be on the table....and the mortgage interest deduction has already been identified as a target. Its worth 100 billion a year, so it could make up for 7% of our deficit.

Of course, it would slow home sales.
I don't think that "slow" is a very descriptive word. Home sales would fall off so rapidly we would face more economic downturns. Maybe a reduction would be a better stepping stone to phase them out over time. Maybe a 10% reduction every 3 years (30-year phase out), or 5% every year(20-year phase out) would be more appropriate. Possibly phase it out if your AGI meets a certain level.
kcbigpapa is offline   Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
kcbigpapa
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post
As a holder of a 401K I would object. That was not the promise made to the American people. Kind of like Social Security. Funny how the party that says that SS is holy (though they are carrying all the gold out the back door) will now say that 401Ks are fair game. I guess because only rich people have them...
There are plenty of people making a lower salary that participate in the 401(k), so it is not exclusively for the rich and saying otherwise is just plain stupid. It is a tax deferral tool, not a tax elimination tool. The taxes will eventually be paid. Plus, I do not think they would tax existing 401(k)'s, but rather eliminate any new tax deferred contributions, thus having contributions treated in the same manner as a Roth IRA.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Encounters: 36

I predict a phase out over time for mortgage interest deductions, with a floor based on AGI, will be recommended by the deficit comission.

I really don't want them to touch it, because it would hurt home sales.

Having said that, alot of that is psychological. In this era of uber low interest rates, alot of people aren't itemizing deductions. They don't know it (since everybody with even a simple tax situation feels compelled to go to H&R Block), so they thoroughly believe they are getting a big tax break from their home.

In fact, if any one of the itemized deductions falls, the others will be less used, since itemization will make less sense for so many people.

I think we are going to go down to the wire on renewal of the Bush Tax cuts (making withholding calculations very speculative right now). The dems will wait until after the deficit commission releases its findings, and try to 'horse trade' the tax cuts with some of the recommendations.
lacrew_2000 is offline   Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
john_galt
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

I guess next time I post I will have to hang a sign that says >>>SARCASM<<<
john_galt is offline   Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 AM   #20
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by northdak2003 View Post
It's been proven time and time again - cut taxes and federal tax revenue rises (from both corporate and private income taxes).

If it's been proven time and time again, then you shouldn't have trouble listing half a dozen examples. Please list them in your response.

From what I've gathered, tax cuts never fully pay for themselves. They only partially pay for themselves.

Clip #1: Greenspan or Boehner. You decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrID_N_FQ_o

Clip #2: Bush tax cuts will blow 3 trillion dollar hole in the deficit, per Fox News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6etf_z60pM
Longermonger is offline   Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:36 AM   #21
kcbigpapa
Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longermonger View Post
If it's been proven time and time again, then you shouldn't have trouble listing half a dozen examples. Please list them in your response.
How dare you ask for proof. We are living in the Fox News era of political debate. You just say what you want. No proof is necessary. Plus, do you know how hard it is to provide proof for stuff that is just pulled out of one's ass? If you want to know how hard it is, ask JG. He's the queen of this.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #22
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Until Congress quits spending, tax cuts or tax increases are irrelevant.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #23
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

It is very difficult to prove cause and effect with taxes, since our economy is ever expanding (except lately ). Also, variations on state, local, fed income, business taxes, etc. make it hopeless. The Heritage foundation has found one interesting trend, though:

Here is a chart of top rates vs receipts as a percent of GDP. No matter what is done to the top rate, the receipts don't change much.

http://www.heritage.org/budgetchartb...e-tax-receipts

Here is a simliar chart for corporate taxes:

http://www.heritage.org/budgetchartb...e-tax-receipts

So...how do you increase tax receipts? If the fed gov always gets a fixed % of the GDP pie, no matter what the top rate is, the only way to increase revenue to the feds is make that GDP pie bigger.

How do you make that pie bigger? Some would argue that reducing tax rates accomplishes that goal.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:24 AM   #24
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Amazing that so few people realize that their federal tax went down under Obama.

http://farfromtheright.wordpress.com...obama-tax-cut/
BigMikeinKC is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
lacrew_2000
Account Disabled

Most people don't know about Making Work Pay, because a) They pay somebody else to do their taxes, and have no idea, and b) it was poorly administered.

Its not Obama's fault, but it had alot of problems.

First of all, alot of people who do their own taxes did not know about it. Personally, I reviewed taxes of two co-workers who had failed to fill out Schedule M.

Secondly, the IRS seemed to make no provision for people making over the cap, especially married couples. Maybe this is the fault of payroll companies, I don't know....but it seems like EVERYBODY had a reduction in withholding. If they made over the cap, at the end of the year when they paid it back, they percieved a tax Increase (not noticing the $13 a month extra that they pocketed).

The same can be said for withholding on people who could be claimed as a dependent. Their perception, when their eoy refund was squat - taxes must have gone up!

So I am not amazed at all that most people don't know about the credit.

Now, the graphs above dealt with top rates, people not eligible for Making Work Pay...illustrating how difficult it is to make comparisons with taxes.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #26
john_galt
Valued Poster

Hey Big Mike, are you willing to say that we have had a CUMULATIVE tax cut? It is easy to give credit one, ONE tax decrease but then you have to take the heat for rising fees and taxes that wipe it out.

Of course if you lost your job and can't pay your taxes then never mind.
john_galt is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 AM   #27
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_galt View Post

Of course if you lost your job and can't pay your taxes then never mind.
You know John, you can't have any debate with out taking a personal swipe at someone, or trying to provoke them.

Why is that. Seriously, I want to know your rationale for it.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #28
catnipdipper
Valued Poster

Default Tax Cuts

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, and only delights in airing his opinion.
catnipdipper is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 AM   #29
Longermonger
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Until Congress quits spending, tax cuts or tax increases are irrelevant.
Be specific. Spending on what, exactly? How much? What DoD projects would you cut? The way I look at it, $3.7 Trillion in extended Bush Tax cuts are relevant.

Spending isn't automatically a bad thing, either. You do it every day. What matters is if you get a bargain for you money or if you get swindled, ripped-off, and just plain prison-raped. That's where class warfare comes in. The rich are waging a war against you and winning. They've convinced you that YOU are getting ripped off by the government while THEY (the rich) are the ones ripping you off. You see, you don't pay the same amount for government services as the rich. (The rich pay a LOT and don't use much. You pay SOME and use SOME. The rich would like to pay a LOT LESS, meaning that you will get LESS then the SOME you are currently getting.)

Democrats would like to use tax money to keep babies from dying and keep everyone healthy and productive. Republicans would like to give the upper 2% huge tax cuts so they can hoard their money in offshore accounts. The rest of the lower 98% get to pay for that shortfall.
Longermonger is offline   Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:20 AM   #30
BigMikeinKC
Valued Poster

Most of the tax changes proposed will affect our chidren, not us. They are all scheduled to go into effect years from now. We certain can't up the taxes of all the boomers who created this mess. Boomers vote.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women