Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > San Antonio > The Sandbox - San Antonio
test
The Sandbox - San Antonio The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 275
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70718
biomed162760
Yssup Rider60470
gman4453240
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48487
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41829
CryptKicker37189
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36222
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 09-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
DaMan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

For me, "Kind of Blue" is the greatest work of recorded music, ever. I'm a regular supporter of the KRTU jazz radio here in town.

I used to really be into jazz fusion or smooth jazz but have definitely moved away from that and into more straight ahead styles.

Excellent thread.
DaMan is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
Rodram
BANNED

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhir View Post
Last year I saw the Return to Forever reunion at One World Theater in Austin. It was tremendous.

Alas.... I miss Pastorius... what a waste of a great talent!

I'm also big fan of Jean-luc Ponty. And here's one for you if you are familiar with them: Brand X. I have always been more in tune with the B Bop and Fusion circles. But I can also grove on Lee Ritenour, Earl Klugh, and The Rippingtons.
Excuse me while I pick myself up from the floor! Lol! Jaco was a genius and also a great loss. I like smooth jazz like old Spyro Gyra, David Sanborn and Grover Washington but like you, I'm also a bop guy. I admire Jean Luc but just can't get my ear tuned to jazz violin, harmonica or clarinet. I'll check out Brand X.
Rodram is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #18
Rodram
BANNED

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Jaco Pastorius, I've linked to a video of Jaco with Weather Report on one of Weather Report's most famous recordings. Jaco is the shirtless bass player and considered one of the greatest bass players to ever play the instrument. The unbelievable thing about many of the these musicians on stage, Jaco included, is that they were most likely enjoying too much pharmaceutical assistance which led to the demise of many a musician - "Birdland"

http://youtu.be/i8q6sR6yZCE

and here's Jaco with tenor saxophonist Michael Brecker. Michael Brecker influenced me the most all throughout my formative years and still does. Michael died of cancer not too many years ago and it was a great loss for the jazz community. The first sax player at the intro is Michael, the first solo however is saxophonist Bob Mintzer, the second sax solo is Michael and it starts with just percussion.

http://youtu.be/V26fDGoo6i4
Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Nutting Buckeye
Valued Poster

Encounters: 72

Next weekend is Jazz Lovers Time in the Park!!!! For details:
http://www.jazzsa.org/. Come get your groove on!!!
Nutting Buckeye is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutting Buckeye View Post
Next weekend is Jazz Lovers Time in the Park!!!! For details:
http://www.jazzsa.org/. Come get your groove on!!!
YES!! A very nice evening can be had at Travis Park with lots of food and lots of pretty girls! Take a blanket and enjoy because it's truly a great venue and this years line up is outstanding. Thanks to Buckeye for the reminder!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
macdeft
Valued Poster

I think Jaco was the first mainstream player to be accredited with playing a fretless bass
macdeft is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #22
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMan View Post
For me, "Kind of Blue" is the greatest work of recorded music, ever. I'm a regular supporter of the KRTU jazz radio here in town.

I used to really be into jazz fusion or smooth jazz but have definitely moved away from that and into more straight ahead styles.

Excellent thread.
I havent had a chance to check KRTU recently but do they still have that Latin jazz/Salsa program with Henry Brun on sundays? I loved that program.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #23
Rakhir
Valued Poster

Encounters: 62

FYI Brand X is contemporary of Weather Report and believe it or not Phil Collins was the drummer. Phenomenal group but didn't last mrs than a few years.

BTW I have a DVD of Weather Report Live featuring Jaco. He does an incredible 10min bass solo that it truly inspired. I can share copies if anyone wishes.

Also I think we have to include Winton Marsalis. Another great!
Rakhir is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
FYI Brand X is contemporary of Weather Report and believe it or not Phil Collins was the drummer. Phenomenal group but didn't last mrs than a few years.

BTW I have a DVD of Weather Report Live featuring Jaco. He does an incredible 10min bass solo that it truly inspired. I can share copies if anyone wishes.

Also I think we have to include Winton Marsalis. Another great!
Oh yeah, the Marsalis family most definitely. Jason Marsalis(Trombone I think) will be featured over at the jazz fest at Travis Park.
Phil Collins is a great drummer and you know who else is a significant jazz drummer is Steve Smith from Journey. Here is a little somethin' y'all might be amazed with, watch this:http://youtu.be/4Or2SmIDxdY
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #25
luv2daty
Valued Poster

Encounters: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodram View Post
Anyone heard of the Brecker Bros.? Michael Brecker?

Michael Brecker is nice. Check out John Klemmer, Pat Metheney Group and john Patitucci - just to name a few
luv2daty is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #26
Rakhir
Valued Poster

The Steve Smith link was hip! Thanks for the link. I have a really cool dbl cd set of a tribute to Buddy Rich produced by Neil Pert that has some of the original members of the Tommy Dorsey Band along with a host of other musicians. Neil performs on some of the tracks as well. The older I get the more I appreciate the genius of Buddy and his band.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #27
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
The Steve Smith link was hip! Thanks for the link. I have a really cool dbl cd set of a tribute to Buddy Rich produced by Neil Pert that has some of the original members of the Tommy Dorsey Band along with a host of other musicians. Neil performs on some of the tracks as well. The older I get the more I appreciate the genius of Buddy and his band.
Thought you'd like that. Buddy Rich, I haven't thought about him or Louis Bellson in years. I remember a Muppet Show segment where Animal does a drum battle with Buddy Rich and it is so funny. Here are 2 epic drum battles,

I don't think I have to say anything on this one
http://youtu.be/7t7G3TKdKeM

This last one here is between 3 drummers that are extremely influential to the jazz and studio drummer genre today. This video is from the 80's so the guy in the middle with the giant mullet is Dave Weckl and he's very technical, clean, and fast; the guy to his right is Steve Gadd, and he is also technical and very downbeat/groove oriented and probably every person who has ever watched a commercial or listened to music, has heard him. He is the prolific session drummer of the bunch at IMHO; and finally, the guy with glasses is Vinnie Colaiuta and he's an alien from another planet.

First is Dave, second is Vinnie and third is Steve:http://youtu.be/Ln6b_nBM-V8
Old 09-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2daty View Post
Michael Brecker is nice. Check out John Klemmer, Pat Metheney Group and john Patitucci - just to name a few
Thanks and oh yes, I'm familiar with those 3 most definitely!
Old 09-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #29
Rakhir
Valued Poster

Rodram your link prompted me to put this one up. Just couldn't resist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOeE0a8pK_E

Also it occurred to me one of the greats nobody seems to remember anymore is Freddy Hubbard. Like many musicians he burned himself out but in his heyday he was one hell of a trumpet player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY9hup3eIw
Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #30
Rodram
BANNED

Quote:
Rodram your link prompted me to put this one up. Just couldn't resist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOeE0a8pK_E

Also it occurred to me one of the greats nobody seems to remember anymore is Freddy Hubbard. Like many musicians he burned himself out but in his heyday he was one hell of a trumpet player.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwY9hup3eIw
Robot chicken is the sick-shit! I always catch them after Family Guy. STEWIE!!

Yeah, Freddie Hubbard was the fav for all the trumpet players at UNT, but at that time, I was listening to a lot of Woody Shaw, Dizzy and Chet Baker.

Hey since you like Return to Forever, you might like Steps Ahead. When I was in school at UNT, this was the most influential band everyone was listening to at the time:

Michael Brecker: saxophone, EWI
Steve Smith: drums
Mike Stern: guitar
Daryl Jones: bass
Mike Manieri: vibes

Recorded in Tokyo, July 30 1986

After the release of the album "Magnetic" in 1985, Mike Mainieri and Michael Brecker along with the revamped rhythm section of Mike Stern, Daryl Jones and Steve Smith, embarked on a series of concert tours. One of these concerts was recorded live at Kan-i Hoken Hall in Tokyo and originally released on laserdisc. Many steps Ahead fans and musicians who caught this ensemble 'live', either at the 'Bottom Line' in New York City or at other venues, have ever since remembered the inspiration with which these great musicians played together. And to remember one of the greatest "fusion" bands ever, nothing better then seeing them perform live.

Steps Ahead Live in Tokyo

http://youtu.be/MkyTk5OmVaU

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women