Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
test
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 394
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70755
biomed162920
Yssup Rider60577
gman4453257
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48538
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42108
CryptKicker37192
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36482
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM   #1
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Default .45 Colt 1911 question

I know a couple of you own a 1911 or a version of one, so I have a quick question.

I had a beautiful Colt 1911, but somehow or another I just couldn't get comfortable with it. I guess it was having to put weight on the grip safety and I just couldn't aim accurately with the weapon and squeezing the grip safety at the same time.

Looking at it, it seems like it would be a no brainer because you're squeezing the grip safety while aiming, but I just couldn't seem to get the timing down.

As users of the 1911 did you have any problems with this, or did it just work itself out with practice?

DEAR_JOHN is online now   Quote
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #2
tyboy1
Premium Access

Encounters: 33

You're over thinking it. I have two 1911's. My favorites to shoot. Just grip it like any gun you shot and the grip safety is engaged. Don't treat it as if it's seperate.
tyboy1 is offline   Quote
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #3
O'Mike
Premium Access

Encounters: 56

Couple of options.

First get a grip safety with a 'speed bump' on it. Common upgrade that should solve the issue.

Second, wrap some electrical tape over it to hold it down. It's not the primary or secondary safety for that weapon and majority of pistols don't have it.

They are great guns and I prize those that I have.

O'Mike is offline   Quote
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #4
Unique_Carpenter
Chasing a Cowgirl

Encounters: 89

You're holding it to high.
Your flesh web between thumb and index finger should easily hold the bottom of that safety down.
This is a common error wherein the 1911 recoil causes folks to hold the handle high. Especially if the ammo has a high grain count. I had to teach ECG this handle hold as she was used to smaller lead throwers that do not have this safety.
This is not my Vicki, but 99% close enough. Yes plated and ivory grips.
Unique_Carpenter is offline   Quote
Old Today, 01:21 PM   #5
Anonymous01
Valued Poster

If you place your dominant thumb (assuming you are right hand dominant) on top of the safety lever and push down and in while you are shooting, this should work for 99% of average hands.

I don't recommend taping or pinning the grip safety down, or sawing off the trigger guard a la Texas Rangers. If you have to use the pistol in a defensive situation, de-activating any factory safety could haunt you.

Remember that the two predecessors J.M. Browning submitted to the US Department of War (the Colt 1905 and Colt 1908) did not have a either a manual safety or a grip safety and the Department of War wrote both into the specs for a reason.

Before it was finally, completely taken out of service in the 1990s, millions of "GI" hands learned how to shoot the pistol with zero mods or upgrades.

Not to be picky, but your picture is a 1911A1 (circa mid 1930s), not a 1911. One of the mods in the A1 spec was to extend the tang on the grip safety to alleviate "hammer bite", not to help in deactivation of the safety.
Anonymous01 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women