Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41458
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
hardliner
Valued Poster

Encounters: 27
Default Rant on shopping at Lowe's from an employee..

1. Do some research online on what you are going to buy. No offense but we sell 5-10 different name brands of tools, lawn mowers, washers, dryers, etc. We aren't going to know the best ones because we don't have the time to sit down and read reviews.

2a. Doing a project that requires lumber, plywood, shingles, etc.? Measure everything if you are going to need things cut at the store. Don't walk up, using your hands and say, "I need this cut THIS far apart." You seriously think that is going to be cut to exactly what you need? Write it down, put in on your cell phone, whatever. The only thing that matters is you getting the materials cut exactly to what you need.

2b. Don't ask for someone to cut your materials when you haven't gathered them. "Hey.. can you cut some lumber for me?" If you are standing there with nothing around you, I will say, "Sure. Let me know when you've gathered your materials." You need help pulling them? Ask. I'm being paid to help the customer but please.. know what you are getting. Do some research on what lumber we carry, plywood we carry, etc. Asking me what I think is best for YOUR project makes me want to slap you. There is no time limit on walking around and doing research.. at least from my end. Don't blame me if you are in a rush to get a project.

3. Doing drywall work? I can't say this often enough. Do research such as YouTube videos. We can not do exact cuts on sheets of drywall.. at least I won't. If I screw it up, I have waste that sheet of drywall. I will only cut a 4"x8" sheet of drywall in half. If you want to do exact cuts, I will hand you my safety knife, T-square, and you can get to work. I've never done drywall work so I only know what I've learned online.. same place you will.

4. We can not rip lumber. What does that mean? I will not cut a 2" board down to 1". It's just not safe.

5. We can not cut anything large than a 2x4 piece of lumber. Most stores have a panel saw which cuts down or flat when ripping plywood and there are rails that allow the saw to slide. I can't adjust the rails. So 4x4, 4x6, and 6x6 posts.. can't cut them.

7. If you are needing thing such as concrete or play sand, check out the front of the lumber area. Typically, they will have a quick load area so me, the employee, or you, the customer, and easily load whatever you need. When it comes to bagged goods such as concrete, mortar, cement, sand, gravel, etc., I typically only want to touch it once. I know it is not always going to happen but I can be hopeful. And.. if you aren't going to help load it, and I can understand with 80 LB of concrete, please don't stand there and watch. That's really creepy.

That's enough ranting for today. Have any questions about Lowe's? Feel free to ask.
hardliner is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

that does it.. I'm shopping at Home Depot.. I don't like your attitude!

Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Alyssa Marie
Account Disabled

User ID: 167905
My ECCIE Reviews

Buy online through ebates and pick up at the front of the store.
You guys always want to save money, use ebates before you shop.
Use the money that you save to get laid.
Happy Hardliner too!!
You're all welcome.
Alyssa Marie is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
MrMarriott
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 28

Sounds like someone needs a new job...hopefully one that's not customer service oriented. Maybe try programming or web development??
MrMarriott is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
hardliner
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Marie View Post
Buy online through ebates and pick up at the front of the store.
You guys always want to save money, use ebates before you shop.
Use the money that you save to get laid.
Happy Hardliner too!!
You're all welcome.
Thank you reminding me about online orders. Please be smart about that. Don't do an online order of 6 2x4x8 pieces of lumber and a sheet of drywall. I've got 1,000 pieces of lumber and over 200 sheets of drywall. Just come in and we'll help you load it so you can get going. I can understand if there is a sale going on appliances, lawn mowers, etc. High dollar merchandise or even high volume items that sell quickly. Boy do customers take advantage of the web site at 12:01 Black Friday. We have employees that have to come in @ 3am to start pulling orders.

One last thing, for example, a grill. If you know which one you want and you want us to assemble it (which typically cost $10), and delivery it (typically free), we can do phone orders. Just depends on your comfort ability of giving us your credit card info over the phone. I suggest this so you don't have to drive up to the store and wait in line to do all of this. I know it drives the people at our customer service desk crazy but tough shit. The assembler will make sure nothing is bent or if there is anything wrong with it, he/she is knowledgeable enough to do something to fix it.

One last thing especially for those that visit the web site. You need to replace an appliance like dishwasher, refrigerator? Go up to your local store and see what has dings, dents, or been repaired. Write down the model # and do some research on it. You have cash or a Lowe's credit card? Perfect. We don't pay fees on either of those like we do when Visa, Mastercard, Amex, or Discover is used. Use that to your advantage. Ask what the cost is on it and offer something between what the last price they are selling it for and the cost. Worst the person can say is no but typically, they'll sell it. We don't want that stuff sitting around. We need space for other products. I remember a customer having a special order refrigerator for $3000 and when it came time to install it, the ice maker, which was manufactured specifically for that refrigerator, wouldn't work so it got returned to the store. The ice maker was replaced but because of the price, it sat for 4 months. We eventually sold for $800.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #6
hardliner
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarriott View Post
Sounds like someone needs a new job...hopefully one that's not customer service oriented. Maybe try programming or web development??
Well, I like my job. It's the lack of knowledge customers come in with when they have access to the Internet at home, at work, or even on their phone.

It's funny you suggested something in the I.T. industry. I'm actually going back to school in a couple of weeks to get my A+ cert (801 & 802), Network A+ cert, and Security A+ cert.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #7
Alyssa Marie
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Hardliner - just don't be upset when you read the posts where providers bash hobbyists!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Boltfan

Encounters: 29

Did you accidentally post to the wrong site?
Boltfan is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #9
Boltfan

Encounters: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardliner View Post
Well, I like my job. It's the lack of knowledge customers come in with when they have access to the Internet at home, at work, or even on their phone
That is a recipe for unemployment. Take away the reason they talk to a real person.
Boltfan is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltfan View Post
That is a recipe for unemployment. Take away the reason they talk to a real person.
exactly.. I have to remind myself sometimes.. if the Client knows enough about what to do, he wouldn't need you at all..
Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
hardliner
Valued Poster

Quote:
Hardliner - just don't be upset when you read the posts where providers bash hobbyists!
If I ever cause that then I will stop.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Big Box home improvement stores do tons more sales to contractors and those who do said "improvements" for a living.

Most of those folks are at the store early and due to the typical sale volume, if Joe the Carpenter, who spends 10-15K a month on lumber and other goods needs help, and you total once a year purchase might total $500, guess who is getting the best person to help them?

Going to a Loews or Home Depot after about 5:30 or so means that they know when you walk in that you are the home owner type and not the guy who makes his living using materials they sell.

Sure they will try to be helpful but seriously, just how many times a day do you really think they want to repeat the same answer about which types of nails work best when hanging a large heavy mirror on a wall? (I'm was in the store recently when a female customer asked someone in the paint department that question. It took all I could do not to start laughing out loud.)

Try and educate yourself at least a little bit before walking in as he suggested can go a long way towards making both yours and the employees life easier.

The Youtube suggestion is great. Search engines can be one of your best friends.

If you are planning a big project and want to try and tackle it yourself, I know Home Depot has free classes on a bunch of different things all the time and if you've never done something, take a class!

Other ways to instantly save cash.

Price shop and compare.

Example: I recently needed to refill a propane tank. I swung by a national retail store very close to a Home Depot and took a phone photo of their price of a tank. Then took a photo of the Home Depot price. Went inside, showed the photos and they matched the price PLUS knocked off 10%.

In Dallas, the sales tax is over 8% so I more than made up for the sales tax just on the bonus amount but the difference in price was about $5 to start with.

Items must be the same but most are and it helps. Going online and printing the prices before you head in to the stores makes it very easy.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #13
Alyssa Marie
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

If we all knew everything about everything, well......

It's so easy to be frustrated when we are annoyed by someone else's ignorance, but it's never easy to admit or step back for a second and realize that sometimes we play the role of the ignorant.

A little patience, sometimes a lot of patience, goes a long way in life. If I know something and someone is willing to learn I love to teach them just as I love to be taught when I want to learn.
Xx
Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #14
hardliner
Valued Poster

Quote:
If we all knew everything about everything, well......

It's so easy to be frustrated when we are annoyed by someone else's ignorance, but it's never easy to admit or step back for a second and realize that sometimes we play the role of the ignorant.

A little patience, sometimes a lot of patience, goes a long way in life. If I know something and someone is willing to learn I love to teach them just as I love to be taught when I want to learn.
Xx
It may not seem like it but I do have a lot of patience. With parents that are technologically inclined, I've taught them everything I know about Windows, Android since my 68 year old father has a Google Nexus 10, and my mother, everything I know about iOS, who has an iPhone 4. She was in tears soon after my brother handed her that phone but her and I went to Barnes and Noble and bought her iOS 6 for Seniors - Dummies. Within a week, she knew more about what that phone was capable of and I told her I was proud of her being able to do that. It's amazing how much joy she gets when uses FaceTime to talk to my nieces.

I do get frustrated with how easy it is for others to just hop on a plane and fly especially after the fact that my grandfather was a pilot during WW II, my father was an aeronautical engineer during Vietnam, and my brother has flown all over the world during his time with The Texas Boys Choir and the jobs he's had. I, however, have had multiple panic attacks over the last 13 years that has made me leave flights before they even pull away from the terminal. Must be karma.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women