Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 397
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70764
biomed163070
Yssup Rider60687
gman4453282
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48608
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42400
CryptKicker37205
The_Waco_Kid36830
Mokoa36493
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 10-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #46
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levianon17 View Post
That's one hell of a mutation for a family of Viruses that in the past have been responsible for generally mild illness.
The MERS coronavirus had a case fatality rate of 34%. The SARS coronavirus had a case fatality rate of 14.5%. To date, COVID 19 has had a case fatality rate of 2.9%. And there are indeed also coronaviruses that cause mild illnesses.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 PM   #47
Levianon17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
The MERS coronavirus had a case fatality rate of 34%. The SARS coronavirus had a case fatality rate of 14.5%. To date, COVID 19 has had a case fatality rate of 2.9%. And there are indeed also coronaviruses that cause mild illnesses.
That's true. The family of Corona viruses is quite large. In fact different strains of these viruses can affect animals such as cattle, Pigs, Horses and even Dogs. Humans experience Corona Viruses in what we might refer to as a "Cold". Generally these viruses aren't fatal. So I really have to ask the question, if this Corona Virus was not manipulated and was naturally occurring what factors were involved to cause it to mutate and make it so devastating in terms of cases and deaths? Could the same thing happen to the seasonal Flu virus?
Levianon17 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:04 AM   #48
Why_Yes_I_Do
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14
Default 2 of the weakest links I recall hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
...1. They say, "If genetic manipulation had been performed, one of the several reverse-genetic systems available for betacoronaviruses would probably have been used. However, the genetic data irrefutably show that SARS-CoV-2 is not derived from any previously used virus backbone."...

2. The protein spike that the coronavirus uses to attach itself to human and animal cells evolved through natural selection, not in a laboratory.

Just walking the logic for a second:
So if SARS-COV-2 has no similarities to SARS-COV-1. Why does it have a 2 at the end?

You explanation for a bat virus preferring to attach to human ACE2 is reasonable how? Especially considering it seems to prefer nothing else in nature.
Why_Yes_I_Do is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #49
rexdutchman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

from something that has a surviviblty rate of 98.9 % yeah okays
rexdutchman is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #50
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levianon17 View Post
So I really have to ask the question, if this Corona Virus was not manipulated and was naturally occurring what factors were involved to cause it to mutate and make it so devastating in terms of cases and deaths? Could the same thing happen to the seasonal Flu virus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why_Yes_I_Do View Post
You explanation for a bat virus preferring to attach to human ACE2 is reasonable how? Especially considering it seems to prefer nothing else in nature.
I've got to get to work so can't look at the Nature paper I linked to, but a better answer, right or wrong, probably lies in it. They had evidence that the mutations that are the crux of this question occurred naturally.

You might Google "minks" and Covid. Thousands of minks have died from Covid 19. Other animals have died from it as well.

I don't think Covid 19 is necessarily any less lethal to certain animals once they're infected than humans. However, the protein spike, as Why_Yes_I_Do says, has evolved so that it can more easily attach to human ACE2. ACE2 is an enzyme that in turn is attached to cells of the heart, lungs, etc.

This isn't surprising. Covid is spreading like wildfire through the human population because there are lots of us, we have air travel, etc. I suspect a bat colony in a cave in southern China may just rarely come into contact with bats from other colonies. Or maybe an epidemic is contained to a single mink farm.

As time passes, the Covid 19 mutates and through natural selection finds ways to better infect its hosts, like better attaching to human ACE2.

Levianon as to your point about the flu, perhaps the 1918 Spanish flu was just as deadly. As to why it mutated so quickly, maybe it didn't. Maybe it was in Wuhan for 6 months or more and people mistook it for the flu. But yeah, I get it. When you think about mutations and their effects on species, you think about thousands or even millions of years. This is above your and my pay grades, we probably need some kind of biologist or virologist to explain it. You'd think viruses and single celled organisms mutate a whole lot faster than we do. Their life spans are certainly much shorter. And they reproduce much, much faster.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #51
reddog1951
Premium Access

Encounters: 3

Tiny- a virus is not a single cell organism, it isn't an organism at all. In fact is technically not considered to be living. It is basically a piece of RNA or DNA, maybe with a protein or glycoprotein "coat" that chances to find a molecular "match" on a host cell. I think of it like pollen for those allergic, no stalking or purposeful attach, its not alive. One attached, the virus tricks the host cell to replicate the viral genome instead of the cell's native genes. Kinda analogous to malicious computer code.
reddog1951 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #52
winn dixie
BANNED

The chinese wuhan virus is a biological weapon that was unleashed by china!
china needs to be accountable for this terror weapon!
winn dixie is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #53
winn dixie
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn dixie View Post
The chinese wuhan virus is a biological weapon that was unleashed by china!
china needs to be accountable for this terror weapon!
Reposted for the slow short bus riders!
winn dixie is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #54
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog1951 View Post
Tiny- a virus is not a single cell organism, it isn't an organism at all. In fact is technically not considered to be living. It is basically a piece of RNA or DNA, maybe with a protein or glycoprotein "coat" that chances to find a molecular "match" on a host cell. I think of it like pollen for those allergic, no stalking or purposeful attach, its not alive. One attached, the virus tricks the host cell to replicate the viral genome instead of the cell's native genes. Kinda analogous to malicious computer code.
Reddog, I did remember from high school biology that the virus inserts RNA into a host cell and takes over and that's about the extent of my knowledge. You most likely know a lot more about this than the rest of us. Any thoughts on how natural selection works with a virus and how quickly the virus can evolve?

I did run across this on Google,

Why do viruses evolve so fast?

Viruses evolve faster than humans. Why is this the case?
As we saw in the case of HIV, some viruses have a high mutation rate, which helps them evolve quickly by providing more variation as starting material. Two other factors that contribute to the fast evolution of viruses are large population size and rapid lifecycle.

The bigger the population, the higher the odds that it'll have a virus with a particular random mutation (e.g., one for drug resistance or high infectivity) on which natural selection can act. Also, viruses reproduce quickly, so their populations evolve on shorter timescales than those of their hosts. For instance, the HIV virus goes through its lifecycle in just 52 hours, as compared to roughly 20 years for the human lifecycle!

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...e%20this%20way.
Tiny is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
oeb11
Valued Poster

i did post the Chinese refugee scientists opinion the wuhan virus was manufactured. by chinese scientists.

No corroboration I consider factual has so far appeared, IMHO.

wuhan is a mutable virus with several subtypes and spontaneous mutability.
It did originate in wuhan china - and Xi exported it to the world, while locking down his own country.

Xi committed an ACT of wAr against the world for economic benefit - and the DPST's are slavishly at xi's feet in praise and adulation over it.

Doubtful the Chinese specifically manufactured it - but certainly took advantage of their lab screw up and released it to the world.

as Clyburn stated - "Never let a good crisis go to waste"!
oeb11 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #56
oeb11
Valued Poster

Quote:

RD - a nice summation of viral cycle - I believe you correct in summarizing a difficult topic.
oeb11 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #57
SecretE
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 161

So, a guy who has a big ego and thinks he is going to win legitimately, would stoop to assassination? This has to be the silliest thread topic I have seen here yet.
SecretE is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:36 AM   #58
reddog1951
Premium Access

Encounters: 3

Tiny, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I'm fairly learned in the field, but certainly no expert especially at the molecular. I will offer another snippet though. Mutations (in general, not just viruses) are caused by errors made by the cell's machinery while transcribing the genetic code so that a different nucleotide is used other than the one called for in the original template. In the case of covid in humans, it's therefore our own cell's that generate the transcription errors and lead to mutations. If I recall correctly, these errors are more likely to occur in older cells or cell lines, so maybe us old farts really are the problem. Not all mutations are necessarily problematic. Many (most?) are "fatal", meaning in a virus's case, that it could render the subsequent ineffective in attaching to hosts, hijacking the host cell mechanisms,etc. Highly simplified explanation, but I probably sound in terms of basic understanding.
reddog1951 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #59
adav8s28
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

No more than he tried with anyone else when he went out in public without a mask.
adav8s28 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #60
Tiny
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeb11 View Post
Doubtful the Chinese specifically manufactured it - but certainly took advantage of their lab screw up and released it to the world.

as Clyburn stated - "Never let a good crisis go to waste"!
Yes Oeb, if they had been less tight lipped and worked with the WHO and our CDC, and not pushed other countries to maintain travel to and from China, things might have turned out much differently.

Quote:
Tiny, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. I'm fairly learned in the field, but certainly no expert especially at the molecular. I will offer another snippet though. Mutations (in general, not just viruses) are caused by errors made by the cell's machinery while transcribing the genetic code so that a different nucleotide is used other than the one called for in the original template. In the case of covid in humans, it's therefore our own cell's that generate the transcription errors and lead to mutations. If I recall correctly, these errors are more likely to occur in older cells or cell lines, so maybe us old farts really are the problem. Not all mutations are necessarily problematic. Many (most?) are "fatal", meaning in a virus's case, that it could render the subsequent ineffective in attaching to hosts, hijacking the host cell mechanisms,etc. Highly simplified explanation, but I probably sound in terms of basic understanding.
Thanks Reddog, good explanation
Tiny is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women