Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 376
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70748
biomed162865
Yssup Rider60537
gman4453253
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48519
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42039
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36410
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
dallasfan
Valued Poster

Encounters: 89
Default Bitcoin transactions and the irs

Uh oh.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/coinbase-...235635616.html

Better watch out if you are taking a lot of bitcoin as payment.
dallasfan is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Encounters: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasfan View Post
Uh oh.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/coinbase-...235635616.html

Better watch out if you are taking a lot of bitcoin as payment.
Coinbase is an exchange. It's being told to turn over records of people who have bought and sold BTC and realized a gain from their transactions.

If you don't buy and sell your BTC at the same exchange, there's no proof of gains. If you transfer BTC into the exchange when it's worth $8000 and exchange it for dollars when it's $10,000, then you've definitely realized a gain. If you transfer BTC into the exchange and sell it immediately, there's no gain to be reported.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Guest020720
Account Disabled

User ID: 1004
My ECCIE Reviews

I'm slowly trying to understand a little more about bitcoin and cryptocurrency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock View Post
Coinbase is an exchange. It's being told to turn over records of people who have bought and sold BTC and realized a gain from their transactions.

If you don't buy and sell your BTC at the same exchange, there's no proof of gains.
Question: So there is only proof if you buy BTC at the same exchange?

If you transfer BTC into the exchange when it's worth $8000 and exchange it for dollars when it's $10,000, then you've definitely realized a gain.
Obviously, but what is the point of saying this? This would have to be reported right? Or only if you take it out as cash?
If you transfer BTC into the exchange and sell it immediately, there's no gain to be reported.
Again, obviously. But what is the point? Do they still report this?
Why would they?
Guest020720 is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Encounters: 10

Cause there is probably a law requiring it.
pyramider is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Putting your questions in the middle of my quote confused me for a second. I've tried to format this to be a bit easier to read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntangie View Post
I'm slowly trying to understand a little more about bitcoin and cryptocurrency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crock
If you don't buy and sell your BTC at the same exchange, there's no proof of gains.
Question: So there is only proof if you buy BTC at the same exchange?
Unless the IRS starts looking into multiple exchanges. An audit might screw you over if you're not reporting income in this manner.

Quote:
Quote:
If you transfer BTC into the exchange when it's worth $8000 and exchange it for dollars when it's $10,000, then you've definitely realized a gain.
Obviously, but what is the point of saying this? This would have to be reported right? Or only if you take it out as cash?
If you read the article, the IRS is demanding the info of accounts that have over $20,000 in annual transactions. Who knows what will happen later. I'm no accountant or tax law expert.

Quote:
Quote:
If you transfer BTC into the exchange and sell it immediately, there's no gain to be reported.
Again, obviously. But what is the point? Do they still report this?
Why would they?
Report what? To my knowledge, they haven't reported it in the past, but now, for the first time, they're demanding the exchange report accounts with over $20,000 in transactions.

Just think of bitcoin like any other currency, if you make a profit off the exchange of currency, that's income that must be reported once it meets a certain threshold.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Capital Gains taxes should be interesting.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #7
justafantasy
Registered Member

Encounters: 9
Default $20,000 or more

I invest in Bitcoin and a lot of the other cryptocurrencies and I was informed tody that Coinbase is required to turn over all records of people who have balances and made a profit of $20,000 or more. So if you use coinbase keep it under that amount. But if your investing for the long haul and dont day trade them like I do and want to keep them secure,safe and out of the IRS hands than either cold storage them or paper wallet or a brain wallet.
justafantasy is offline   Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
dallasfan
Valued Poster

Quote:
Better think that one over again.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #9
Pistol Man
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 3

Isn't this interesting!? I had a question yesterday from a client about the taxation of cryptocurrency gains and losses. Actually the question was, "am I an expert" in such. Anyone who says they are is (a) lying to you and (b) lying to themselves!

As the tax code is silent on cryptocurrency, specifically, I believe it falls into that category of investments taxed like stocks and bonds gains and losses. If you day trade it is ordinary income and if you hold for more than 12 months it is a long term capital gain or loss. If you want to protect yourself from the ever encroaching government, report and pay tax on the recognized gains and losses; it is much less expensive than "being caught". And trust me, George Orwell was correct, "big brother is watching".

But there is another issue that no one is talking about. If any of these accounts are "foreign accounts" then if the value is greater than $10,000 in the aggregate at any time during the year, it is required to file an FBAR with the treasury reporting the account. There's no tax involved, they just want to know about the account. This has been a requirement for at least the past 30 years I've been in the tax preparation business.

More importantly, if the balance at any time during the year exceeds $100,000 in the aggregate, it is probably necessary to file Form 8938 with your federal income tax return reporting same. The penalties for not doing so can exceed, in some cases, 50% or more of the balances not reported. The important issue here is (a) report the income from the account on the tax return and (b) the statute of limitations for audit does not commence until the form is filed. So if you should have and didn't, the return for that year is still open for audit; file an amended return with Form 8938 reporting the account and start the running of the statute. Unless, of course, you enjoy sleeping with one eye open!

These are simply my thoughts and ruminations concerning "rendering unto Caesar" your gains and losses in the emerging world of cryptocurrency investing and trading.
Pistol Man is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasfan View Post
Quote:
Better think that one over again.
As I said, I'm no expert.

I didn't realize that exchanging $100,000 worth of one currency for $100,000 of US dollars was considered a gain. Exchanging currency, in and of itself, shouldn't indicate a gain.

But everything is up in the air, legally, when it comes to Bitcoin. The rules are being made up as we go.

The fact that the IRS is demanding reports on accounts with more than $20,000 in transactions makes it clear that they're interested, though.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
pyramider
El Hombre de la Mancha

Quote:
As I said, I'm no expert.

I didn't realize that exchanging $100,000 worth of one currency for $100,000 of US dollars was considered a gain. Exchanging currency, in and of itself, shouldn't indicate a gain.
But if you read the post above you, Bitcoin is not considered currency. Its being treated as an investment. Or do whatever you want ... Deal with the IRS, and the Treasury Department, at a later date ... at their convenience.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
dallasfan
Valued Poster

Think this pretty much kills bitcoin’s ascent. Good luck cashing out. I’d be spending the fuck out of everything I had.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #13
Pistol Man
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 3

if it is considered currency exchange, then disregard all that I said. The point is that no one seems to know!!

but the foreign account and asset reporting still applies

as an aside, if you do any on-line gambling then you have a foreign bank account; but I'm changing topics and don't mean to.
Pistol Man is offline   Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #14
Crock
Upgraded Male Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramider View Post
But if you read the post above you, Bitcoin is not considered currency. Its being treated as an investment. Or do whatever you want ... Deal with the IRS, and the Treasury Department, at a later date ... at their convenience.
The post above mine is assuming. I'm assuming. That's all we can do until more regulations are written, or a law is passed.
Crock is offline   Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
DallasBella
~Your Naughty Masseuse~

User ID: 49096
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafantasy View Post
But if your investing for the long haul and dont day trade them like I do and want to keep them secure,safe and out of the IRS hands than either cold storage them or paper wallet or a brain wallet.
How ?
DallasBella is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women