Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Other US Hotspots > Arkansas > The Sandbox
test
The Sandbox The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 394
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70761
biomed162976
Yssup Rider60623
gman4453269
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48571
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42223
CryptKicker37193
The_Waco_Kid36584
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
Vannah
Sexy Cat Lady

User ID: 294704
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews
Question Tips On Keeping Elderly People Mentally Sharp

As anyone fortunate enough to have their grandparents/parents still around after age 80 knows, it is a blessing, but it becomes a bit like raising children. To relieve some of the daily stress from my grandmother, I mentioned that we could lure my 87 year old grandfather into the car with the promise of an ice cream cone at Baskin Robbins, only to drop him off at a nice adult daycare for a few hours twice a week.

"They'll do all kinds of fun activities with him to keep him spry. They let them paint, socialize with other elderly people, watch FOX News, play checkers, have medication reminders, and even take him on outings to the zoo. While he's there, we can go shopping together and get our nails done." I told her.

Once she burst my bubble that he wouldn't fall for that it got me thinking, what can I do to keep him (and her) mentally active?

I don't think blowing an airhorn at random intervals throughout the day is a good idea, but I do occasionally call them, disguise my voice, and tell them they won a new car, but that I'll need their social security number to claim it. Fortunately they don't fall for that and hang up their little flip phones. Anyone else have any good ideas? Ideas to trick my grandfather into going to daycare are welcome also.
Vannah is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Rockydoc
Valued Poster

Encounters: 42

Crossword puzzles are supposed to be good for that. Perhaps you could play games like scrabble
Rockydoc is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
BBWDeAnna
The original BBW Milf

User ID: 221730
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I dont mean this as it may sound..but why not be the one to do all those things instead of relying on someone else?

As a family who is lucky enough to share our large property with my mother in law and father in law..and sister inlaw and her husband...we all did our part daily from 2011 until 2014 when my father in law passed..to make sure his needs were met and pressure was relieved from my mother in law..when doctors didnt give him a chance at age 74..then again at 76 we kept working 24hrs a day 7 days a week to meet his social..mental and physical needs and he made it to age 79 with massive amounts of health issues

We took him on every cruise (2 a year since 2010)..hell he waa on a cruise 2 weeks before he passed..we took him to Florida 2 times a year for a week..branson once a year..cali..etc etc etc..if we traveled everyone traveled..and it kept him sharp and a part of the family

Financially it took alot because we all adjusted work including my husband..to care for him..our kids pitched in..it was truly a family affair that we cherish..

Point is..dont look for someone to do the very things family could..he will be much more appreciative of the efforts and you will have memories in whatever years u havr left together

No tricks..no promises..all they need is your time..god willing u have a long life ahead to live..elderly family members time is limited so the time we give up now to make their time special is worth it

My opinion..no offense ment..but conversation...talk about the things he likea..my husband use to sit for hours at their house and just talk about news..his life..memories..vacations...ma king his dad tell the stories to keep him sharp while also providing a chance for him to take pride in the life he had lived.

Trust me..time is all they want
BBWDeAnna is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Vannah
Sexy Cat Lady

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

He used to love cross word puzzles, but the last time I bought him a large print crossword puzzle book, he complained he still couldn't read it.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Vannah
Sexy Cat Lady

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWDeAnna View Post
I dont mean this as it may sound..but why not be the one to do all those things instead of relying on someone else?

As a family who is lucky enough to share our large property with my mother in law and father in law..and sister inlaw and her husband...we all did our part daily from 2011 until 2014 when my father in law passed..to make sure his needs were met and pressure was relieved from my mother in law..when doctors didnt give him a chance at age 74..then again at 76 we kept working 24hrs a day 7 days a week to meet his social..mental and physical needs and he made it to age 79 with massive amounts of health issues

We took him on every cruise (2 a year since 2010)..hell he waa on a cruise 2 weeks before he passed..we took him to Florida 2 times a year for a week..branson once a year..cali..etc etc etc..if we traveled everyone traveled..and it kept him sharp and a part of the family

Financially it took alot because we all adjusted work including my husband..to care for him..our kids pitched in..it was truly a family affair that we cherish..

Point is..dont look for someone to do the very things family could..he will be much more appreciative of the efforts and you will have memories in whatever years u havr left together

No tricks..no promises..all they need is your time..god willing u have a long life ahead to live..elderly family members time is limited so the time we give up now to make their time special is worth it

My opinion..no offense ment..but conversation...talk about the things he likea..my husband use to sit for hours at their house and just talk about news..his life..memories..vacations...ma king his dad tell the stories to keep him sharp while also providing a chance for him to take pride in the life he had lived.

Trust me..time is all they want
I think that is wonderful life advice, and very well said. I spend as much time with them as humanly possible, while still trying to maintain my own household, but being an only child and an only grandchild, I'm basically on my own here. I just thought he might enjoy being around people his own age a time or 2 a week instead of sitting in his recliner all day. In the event that my grandmother wants me to take her out for a few hours to run errands, I would feel much better knowing he wouldn't be alone.

I agree that it's so important to spend time with your loved ones while they're still here. I really don't know where I would be without my grandparents.

Also, I tend to use attempts at humor to mask my real feelings, incase my post came across as insensitive.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
BBWDeAnna
The original BBW Milf

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I hear ya..being the only one does change the dynamic...and I guess my suggestion would be then..have you ask him if he wants to be around others I.e at an adult daycare? He may be quite content in his recliner haha..if thats the case and him being alone while gone is an issue then perhaps a :sit in" just to keep an eye on him..pass it off as a maid or house keeper..whatever and hire someone that is trustworthy just for a few hours..
Old 06-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
arealone
Valued Poster

Encounters: 83

In my situation, I'm not dealing with grandparents, but parents (both 90). They are still in their own home. My mom is in great shape and will probably outlive me. Dad is another story. I think the key is to find what interested them when they were able. My mom stays active with music. She started playing the organ in church when she was 13 and finally retired when she turned 90. Now she still plays for funerals and when no one else plays. Also plays a couple of times a week at the nursing homes for their church services. My Dad likes to read, but his eyesight isn't good enough anymore for long bouts of that. Spending time with them is a great idea. We've gotten my Dad to write about stuff. He owned a newspaper for most of his life and has a tremendous amount of history in his head and we've gotten him to type it up for us. That keeps him active. He also is on Facebook once in awhile. Spending time with them is important too. Not only for them, but for you. I wish I was closer (I'm 750 miles away). I call them several times a week though.
arealone is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
BBWDeAnna
The original BBW Milf

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Thats what we learned with my father in law..he was an avid reader and a truck driver (over 3 million miles accident free and wasnt OTR)..so when the eyes got bad or the mind started to wander..we learned to just let him talk..about any and everything..we would prod and ask questions to keep it going but the stories...info..wisdom he had ment alot to him and us..so we found that by HIM having to talk and share it made him think..and hell what guy doesn't like to brag

Quote:
Originally Posted by arealone View Post
In my situation, I'm not dealing with grandparents, but parents (both 90). They are still in their own home. My mom is in great shape and will probably outlive me. Dad is another story. I think the key is to find what interested them when they were able. My mom stays active with music. She started playing the organ in church when she was 13 and finally retired when she turned 90. Now she still plays for funerals and when no one else plays. Also plays a couple of times a week at the nursing homes for their church services. My Dad likes to read, but his eyesight isn't good enough anymore for long bouts of that. Spending time with them is a great idea. We've gotten my Dad to write about stuff. He owned a newspaper for most of his life and has a tremendous amount of history in his head and we've gotten him to type it up for us. That keeps him active. He also is on Facebook once in awhile. Spending time with them is important too. Not only for them, but for you. I wish I was closer (I'm 750 miles away). I call them several times a week though.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Rockydoc
Valued Poster

Encounters: 42

Books on tape are an option for a
Reader with bad eyes, or a Kindle as you can really make the font
Big.
Rockydoc is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
twolfs1
Registered Member

Crosswords and other games like puzzles are great and maybe doing them together can help. I would also suggest looking at places like museums and community centers. They have programs for elderly and they do a good job bring people together and engaging them in conversation.
twolfs1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
WMJ4657
Valued Poster

Encounters: 40

Don't know if he ever played Poker or if he enjoys it, but I host a poker night every Wednesday night I am the youngest 60 & the oldest is 91, there is 7 of us that play. We play for 3 hours & the guys look forward to it every week.

Just a thought
WMJ4657 is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Guest110920
Account Disabled

Encounters: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockydoc View Post
Books on tape are an option for a
Reader with bad eyes, or a Kindle as you can really make the font
Big.
Yeah, I got my 80 year old Mom a Kindle and she loves it. Reads books, plays Scrabble and Sudoko and other puzzle-type games.
Guest110920 is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
Hogfan69
Valued Poster

Encounters: 37

My mom bought herself a Nintendo NES and got herself a few games that were meant to exercise the brain if that's something that interests him.
Hogfan69 is offline   Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
MrGiz
BANNED

Real SPEAKING with elders can produce more "Life Learning" than any other attempt to educate one's self with what might be coming.

If your goal is to keep your elder's minds active... simply keep "speaking" to them. They know more than you do about life's challenges.

Living thru the "Earth Death" of parents teaches one many things. I believe Every Single One Of Us gains an immense respect when our Parents are gone! All that's left, is their advice, after a longer lived life than ours! Longevity = Life Experience!

The phrase "Respect Your Elders" brings a very legitimate respect after Parents are Gone.

Please respect the wisdom of your Parents while they are still here!! There is no finer advice available!!

I was fortunate to have the Two Finest Parents possible!
Thank You , Thank You , Thank You!!!!! 😘
MrGiz is offline   Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #15
Vannah
Sexy Cat Lady

My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I tried to get him a Kindle awhile back and it's still sitting in the box because he says it isn't the same as a book, and I totally get that. It's like the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I suppose half the problem is just getting him to agree to trying some activities. I've offered to pack up his wheelchair and oxygen tank to go somewhere, but he never wants to. Although if I were in his shoes, I doubt I would want to go out and paint the town red either.

I'll go to an education supply store tomorrow and try to find some interactive games to play with him. Anything beats FOX News!

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women