Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 390
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 272
George Spelvin 257
sharkman29 254
Top Posters
DallasRain70612
biomed161957
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453162
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48217
pyramider46370
bambino41201
CryptKicker37151
Mokoa36489
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
WyldemanATX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default ATMs are the reason for slow recovery!

The progressives say conservatives are crazy!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...overy-on-atms/

Obama said that ATMs are the reason for a slow recovery and taking jobs away from the humans.

How long have we had ATMs for over 20 years right!
WyldemanATX is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
E2
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Just wait.... He has yet to attack the job stealing vacuum cleaners and those sinister automatic hand dryers in the bathrooms..
E2 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
budman33
Valued Poster

"You see it when you go to a bank and ... you use an ATM, you don't go to a bank teller. Or you go to the airport, and you're using a kiosk instead of checking in at the gate," the president said.

Ummm thats a valid observation. do you even read the crap you post? Americans are like teenagers, they want everything NOW. automation makes things more convenient, but also makes certain jobs less viable. right?
budman33 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
WyldemanATX
Valued Poster

@bud33 Correct me if I am wrong and I know you will, but don't companies that employ people have to make those things. They also require maintenance and someone has to maintain those machines. Again those machines have been around for years. I do not really see how they have had an impact on the recent recovery act...
Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
budman33
Valued Poster

He was making a point. All the things that make our lives easier, faster and more convenient used to take a flesh and blood person. yes someone makes the atm and someone had to service the atm so yes they create jobs, but one person visits a dozen atm's a day, and unless they make a shitass atm in factories one atm maker is not really the equivalent of a bank teller. and your quoting an op ed, but i guess thats ok.
budman33 is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
F-Sharp
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Wyldeman, once again I would strongly encourage you to employ some critical thinking. Try pulling the Faux News out of your ears for just a little while would ya, and perhaps try and digest the entire speech before coming to conclusions based on some Faux News op-ed designed specifically to appeal to the weak minded among us. This is Fox hard at work washing your brain clean of any rational, logical thought...sadly, you don't even see it.

Here's some truth for you...unless of course you consider Time Magazine a little too liberal for you.

"Throughout industry, the trend has been to bigger production with a smaller work force. In the highly automated chemical industry, the number of production jobs has fallen 3% since 1956 while output has soared 27%. Though steel capacity has increased 20% since 1955, the number of men needed to operate the industry's plants—even at full capacity—has dropped 17,000. Auto employment slid from a peak of 746,000 in boom 1955 to 614,000 in November, just before the current layoffs became severe. Since the meat industry's 1956 employment peak, 28,000 workers have lost their jobs despite a production increase of 3%. Bakery jobs have been in a steady decline from 174,000 in 1954 to 163,000 last year. On the farm one man can grow enough to feed 24 people; back in 1949 he could feed only 15."

"Many businessmen, while conceding that automation has reduced jobs, feel that a good healthy recovery from the recession will provide all the employment needed. But labor experts think this too optimistic a view, fear that unless something is done by management, union and Government, the hard core of permanently unemployed will continue to rise."

Edit: HA! I just realized that article is dated Friday, Feb. 24, 1961! Just imagine what the impacts of automation have had to employment since the 60's! I'll see if I can find something a little more recent.
F-Sharp is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

With all due respect, ladies and gentlemen, in this matter, Obama is an IDIOT.

It is precisely that automation, that elimination by machinery of certain former service jobs, that has allowed almost all of the prosperity and progress made by the United States, and the human race.

As recently as about 100 years ago, the vast majority of Americans were subsistence farmers, living hardscrabble lives. It was the development of agricultural technology, of MACHINES, that let most people stop farming and do OTHER things, like learning how to design flying machines and telephones and antibiotics and surgical procedures.

Take a look sometime at the kind of surgery that is absolutely routine today, that nobody thinks twice about, that DID NOT EXIST IN ANY FORM AT ALL as recently as, say, 50 years ago. Or even 20 years ago.

In 2002, I was in an automobile accident. If I'd had that accident as recently as 1987 to 1992, I'd have lost my left foot completely. Because I had it in 2002, the doctor was not completely optimistic about saving the foot, but believed I had a chance.

I still have the foot.

Service industry jobs do not create wealth. Wealth is created, by definition, by creating DURABLE goods: making raw wood into chairs, or houses, extracting metals from rock and making airplanes, or computers, or Corvettes. It takes labor to do it, but, once it is done, it STAYS AROUND. Of all durable goods, knowledge is the most durable: How much wealth was created by the guy who discovered penicillin?

Even durable goods that, at first glance, have no application, can still create wealth. Jesse Jackson is fond of ranting about how the space program never did anything for Blacks. He has never heard of weather satellites, never noticed how many people STOPPED dying in hurricanes when it became possible to PHOTOGRAPH the damned things and SEE them coming and WARN everyone, Blacks included, to get the hell out of Nawlins before the feces impacted the rotary air impeller.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
F-Sharp
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
With all due respect, ladies and gentlemen, in this matter, Obama is an IDIOT.

It is precisely that automation, that elimination by machinery of certain former service jobs, that has allowed almost all of the prosperity and progress made by the United States, and the human race.

As recently as about 100 years ago, the vast majority of Americans were subsistence farmers, living hardscrabble lives. It was the development of agricultural technology, of MACHINES, that let most people stop farming and do OTHER things, like learning how to design flying machines and telephones and antibiotics and surgical procedures.

Take a look sometime at the kind of surgery that is absolutely routine today, that nobody thinks twice about, that DID NOT EXIST IN ANY FORM AT ALL as recently as, say, 50 years ago. Or even 20 years ago.

In 2002, I was in an automobile accident. If I'd had that accident as recently as 1987 to 1992, I'd have lost my left foot completely. Because I had it in 2002, the doctor was not completely optimistic about saving the foot, but believed I had a chance.

I still have the foot.

Service industry jobs do not create wealth. Wealth is created, by definition, by creating DURABLE goods: making raw wood into chairs, or houses, extracting metals from rock and making airplanes, or computers, or Corvettes. It takes labor to do it, but, once it is done, it STAYS AROUND. Of all durable goods, knowledge is the most durable: How much wealth was created by the guy who discovered penicillin?

Even durable goods that, at first glance, have no application, can still create wealth. Jesse Jackson is fond of ranting about how the space program never did anything for Blacks. He has never heard of weather satellites, never noticed how many people STOPPED dying in hurricanes when it became possible to PHOTOGRAPH the damned things and SEE them coming and WARN everyone, Blacks included, to get the hell out of Nawlins before the feces impacted the rotary air impeller.
With all due respect, it appears the idiot is in fact the person who wrote the six paragraphs above on a completely different subject. Your observations would perhaps be valid if wealth and technological advancement was what Obama and the Faux article was discussing. Unfortunately, they're both talking about employment, or the lack thereof. Since you completely managed to overlook the basis of the comment being discussed, here is the quote again:

"There's some structural issues with our economy where a lot of businesses have learned to become much more efficient with a lot fewer workers"

The same argument could be made for sending jobs overseas, but exactly who's prospering from that? We're starting to get a very close up look of our future as a third world country, this is just the beginning.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Smokin Joe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Sharp View Post
Edit: HA! I just realized that article is dated Friday, Feb. 24, 1961! Just imagine what the impacts of automation have had to employment since the 60's! I'll see if I can find something a little more recent.
That's funny. I was trying to digest the data thinking it didn't make sense.
Smokin Joe is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
WyldemanATX
Valued Poster

Machines are taking are jobs before long they won't even need us...
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
F-Sharp
Valued Poster

Alright, here's a little more recent data I was able to drum up.

"Automation has eliminated some 10 million jobs, mostly in manufacturing, over the same time period."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...tomation_x.htm

Now, take a look at the BLS chart. This is ALL jobs non-farming from 1960 - 2011. Looks like these jobs were being replaced rather than eliminated until about the time Bush took office. A bit of a hump then right back where we were when he first took office when the recession hit in 2007. I think automation has indeed made it's mark, but I also think outsourcing has played a major role in U.S. job losses.

What's next? Cylon invasion of course....

Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 AM   #12
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Sharp View Post
Wyldeman, once again I would strongly encourage you to employ some critical thinking.
You seem to be asking an awful lot of the guy. You might want to seriously consider lowering your expectations.

Try accepting his posts for entertainment value and nothing more!

If you don't expect much, you won't be disappointed!
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
mastermind238
Valued Poster

Encounters: 37

Instead of bashing Wyldeman30 and Fox News, and creaming at the mere mention of the Name of the One Whose Name is Too Perfect Even To Be Spoken (but whose middle name is Hussein), why don't you look up an article or two on the LUDDITES. There's a reason why the word luddite is used derisively in academia today, if only in ecomonics departments that aren't dominated by Marxists like Krugman.
mastermind238 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
WyldemanATX
Valued Poster

@Bigtex If I want any shit out of you I will squeeze your head!

With the way you guys react and not really respond it seams to me it is real easy to get you shoot a big load of crap when it comes to a political thread.

I do not believe in government to solve our problems most of those guys a gals have no idea what it is like for a common man in the world today. It is up to us to solve our own problems and we need the government to get out of our way.

All media outlets today are a distraction as to what the real problems are and they are in it together. I just find it real funny how progressive are ready to pounce only on fox. Critical thinking that is funny just look at the obvious big boys instead of trying to read some underlying propaganda that you think is always there. Take off the blinders to your political faith for a change.

Don't be S****d
Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
Booth
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldeman30 View Post
@Bigtex If I want any shit out of you I will squeeze your head!

With the way you guys react and not really respond it seams to me it is real easy to get you shoot a big load of crap when it comes to a political thread.
So the first sentence quoted is a response and not a reaction? Perhaps you can explain the difference between the two.

And just out of curiosity, are you trying to set the board record for having the most posts reported to moderators? Keep name calling and I'm sure you'll get there.
Booth is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women