Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70706
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60355
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48434
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41498
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35865
Mojojo33117

Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
technicallygeek
Account Disabled

Encounters: 6
Default Start over or fix it??

Something Ive been working on for the last couple of days thats been kickin my a$$ maybe someone will have some input that may be of use.

I ran across this and thought well that would be cool to have on my blog, and for sure something that would be cool to have the experience with

[ame="http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640760"]Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller - Ubuntu Forums[/ame]

The short and skinny of it... it's a Linux/Unix like Active Directory with Network File sharing resources...

Essentially when a 'user' logs on to a computer and that computer is part of a group called a domain, their account settings password permissions ect... are stored in the Active Directory database... with integration into a Micro$oft network.

Well im stuck... I got half way through getting it setup and then everything started falling apart.

My RAID1 Array started screwing up... And the LDAP isn't working right

Im stuck and either have to start from scratch again or try to fix the LDAP server and the RAID Array
technicallygeek is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Buz Murdock
Registered Member

I'd check to see if the RAID issue is causing data corruption and is the root cause of the LDAP issue...
Buz Murdock is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
1thatgotaway
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

Hardware first.. You are building a castle in a swamp otherwise.

Fix the array first

Then you can look to see if the installs are usable or if a fresh install is in order. Hell I'd start it over anyway just to be sure.

~1TGA
1thatgotaway is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Mister Tudball
Valued Poster

Encounters: 21

Okay, let me see if I got this right. There was a raid by the LAPD at a castle in a swamp because of corruption but some of the group called domain got array. Am I close?
Mister Tudball is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
Juan Pablo de Marco
El Mariachi

Encounters: 165

Mister Tudball... that was the funniest post i've see here.

and to technicallygeek... WTF? i'm an Ubuntu guy too (got it on one of my PC's and my laptop... never going back to windows). but seriously... is ECCIE (or ASPD) where you turn to find answers to this kind of question? there are tons of forums out there where linux experts can help you, and i'm sure you already know that.

try this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

i know you have already been there... but seriously dude.

JPdM

p.s. but i'm proud of you for knowing the answer to my 'coconuts' question.
Juan Pablo de Marco is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
technicallygeek
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Tudball View Post
Okay, let me see if I got this right. There was a raid by the LAPD at a castle in a swamp because of corruption but some of the group called domain got array. Am I close?
ROFLMFAO.... Not even

Im not sure why the RAID array is screwing up the error message has something to do with ext2 filesystem and I formatted the partition to be ext3

i think restarting is the best course of action
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
argus256
Valued Poster

Encounters: 26

Post a copy of the error message here and I'll take a look. If it's what I'm thinking it has to do with your journaling.
argus256 is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
dentonseek
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

I'd start over, its not a time intensive project unless you're dealing with alot of shares and accounts anyway.

PS. I'm selling a bunch of 1U rack servers if anyone is interested, just PM me.
dentonseek is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
technicallygeek
Account Disabled

Technically it's not really 'hardware' lol it's all a virtual setup in VirtualBox.

The RAID array is all software through mdadm package. The first time I set the 2 arrays up I got the same error message as well. This time it was with one array.

in the OP if you check out the link where the author is setting up his array he uses
Code:
mkfs.ext3
The second time I used
Code:
sudo mkfs -t ext3 <device>
When I boot the Virtual machine up it dumps me in a root shell, I tried umount on the array but it wouldn't let me.

The part that takes the longest is getting the OS Ubuntu 8.04.3 updated once I reinstall so I may just restart the whole project.

Ill post back see if I can get past this point.

If anyone is in the IT field this is something that may be of great interest if you were doing consulting work and wanted an Open Source Free alternative to using a Micro$oft server
Old 01-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
mrod
Valued Poster

Check you version of Ubuntu for bugs ... The latest still seems to have some bugs try an older version.
mrod is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #11
technicallygeek
Account Disabled

I was using 8.04.3 the offical Long Term Support release Desktop version, I updated with all the current update.

I haven't had a chance to actually dig back into it and see what the issue is or attempt to start over.