Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70552
biomed161618
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453120
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48064
pyramider46370
bambino40816
CryptKicker37138
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Home School or Public School?

Which method appears to best prepare students for college?

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/l...ary_node=25141
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Do the values hold across racial subcategories?
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

There really isn't much information on how the chart itself was generated as well.

From the looks of it, it was just data taken from one unnamed midwestern college?

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/l...ooled-students

I'd also be curious about things like rates that homeschooled vs private vs public school kids actually go to college as well.

Honestly, there are just way too many factors for something like this to break down into a simple chart (as Jewish Lawyer points out - things like race, income, which part of the country you live in, etc. would all be major factors).
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
joesmo888
Valued Poster

Encounters: 18

considering that public schools take anyone (including the retarded and low IQ) those numbers prove that public schools are far superior. private and home schooled kids have a parent at home or parents who helped them with their school work. many public school kids are inner city youth who have either both their parents working or who are single parent households. the parents just don't have the time to help.

public school teachers are paid more. why would a good teacher take less pay to teach at a private school? because their qualifications are inferior thats why.

I was taking high school classes while in middle school. and was taking DE classes while in high school. by the time i got to college I already had 2 years of college credits for FREE. just stating facts, you can moan and cry about it but its the truth
joesmo888 is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Good for you, Joe! Your experience does not discredit the survey. On average, home schooled kids do better, for whatever reasons. If you are trying to prove that white home schooled kids are somehow better off than minority home schooled kids, you're missing the point.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
timpage
Account Disabled

The primary motivation for college attendance isn't the school you go to or whether you're home-schooled....it's parents who drill into your head that you're going to college. Obviously, parents that are involved and care enough about their child's education to home school them are going to advocate college attendance.

Home schooling is fine as long as the parent doing it is qualified and motivated. But, reality dictates that the home school equation doesn't work for most parents....either they don't care enough to do it, they are too stupid to do it.... or they have to work and can't stay home with their kids all day.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
DallasRain
HELL's bell ringer!!

User ID: 3067
Location: Based in Missouri AND coming to play in your town soon!!!
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

I homeschooled for a couple years and can say that it definately was worth it...my kids seem to "connect" and learn more..I even could "tailor" the lessons to what their interest and needs were.
DallasRain is online now   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

Yeah, and the teacher was hottt!

Home schooling seems to work when the kids are also put into positions that enable them to assimilate into their social environment.

Oh yeah, and when the parent teaching them is qualified to do so.

And disciplined. the teacher. Not the student.

PS -- your source, for a change, is skimpy and not objective. BIG SUPRISE!
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

There are a lot of variables, there are good teachers and bad teachers in schools and in homes. I know one individual who is hell bent to home school and is, in my humble and perhaps over-educated opinion, as dumb as a bag of rocks, others who home teach are extremely sharp and well educated.

The best option, in my opinion, is to outlaw unions for degreed professionals and let them stand or fall on their own merit. . . that, and get the federal government and their inane rules out of education.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
The best option, in my opinion, is to outlaw unions for degreed professionals and let them stand or fall on their own merit. . . that, and get the federal government and their inane rules out of education.
I could go with that.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
DallasRain
HELL's bell ringer!!

User ID: 3067
Location: Based in Missouri AND coming to play in your town soon!!!
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

in new orleans they have where you can do school online while you stay home
DallasRain is online now   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

The statistics provided reflect the acheivement of those who were admitted. What percentage of applicants from each category were rejected for low scores on the entrance exam, i.e. the SAT or ACT?
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
How about the state governments? IMHO, that's where the disparity come in US education.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

I think Joe hit the nail on the head. Since the self selection effect of brighter, richer kids for private and home schooled kids is high, and public schools are burdened with taking on all students, I'd think this chart show the demonstrated superiority of public schools over private and homeschooled despite being dealt a tougher hand. Pretty damning evidence of the in effectiveness, as a whole, of private schools and homeschooling.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Only a lawyer of TTH's incapability can look at that chart, and say it proves that private schooling and home schooling are failures, while government schools are superior.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women