Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
test
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162522
Yssup Rider60331
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48427
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41466
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35846
Mojojo33117

Old 10-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
VitaMan
BANNED

Encounters: 69
Default why take out the starting pitcher

We have seen it several times in the playoffs - very few hits or runs when the starting pitcher is pitching - put in the reliever, and the scoring starts ! The game last night was a good example of this for the Astros.
VitaMan is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
RyanFromTER
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Because outside of Dallas & Justin none of the other "starters" for the Astros are good for more than 4 to 5 innings. They would be gassed, and less effective then Giles was yesterday.

Also have you ever played organized fast pitch baseball?
RyanFromTER is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
RyanFromTER
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Because outside of Dallas & Justin none of the other "starters" for the Astros are good for more than 4 to 5 innings. They would be gassed, and less effective then Giles was yesterday.

Also have you ever played organized fast pitch baseball?
RyanFromTER is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Chung Tran
BANNED

Encounters: 288

I've been asking that for 20 years or more.. it happens all the time, take out a Starter who is pitching well, new guy can't find the plate, gets whacked. dumbest metric in MLB, # of pitches.. fuck, when I was a kid, Wilbur Wood pitched both games of a double-header, complete games in both. Fergie Jenkins would go 50% more innings, year after year, than the top innings pitched leader gets today. I don't buy the "gassed" argument for a minute.. what I do buy is the Players Union, and Pussy Pitchers who gross millions of dollars a year.. now they have that new stat.. a "quality start", LOL.. Hell, in the 70's you would be derided for what passes as a "quality start" today.
Chung Tran is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
xtrem
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung Tran View Post
I've been asking that for 20 years or more.. it happens all the time, take out a Starter who is pitching well, new guy can't find the plate, gets whacked. dumbest metric in MLB, # of pitches.. fuck, when I was a kid, Wilbur Wood pitched both games of a double-header, complete games in both. Fergie Jenkins would go 50% more innings, year after year, than the top innings pitched leader gets today. I don't buy the "gassed" argument for a minute.. what I do buy is the Players Union, and Pussy Pitchers who gross millions of dollars a year.. now they have that new stat.. a "quality start", LOL.. Hell, in the 70's you would be derided for what passes as a "quality start" today.
Forgot about that. I think he lost both games.

Now it's a big deal for six out saves like it's something specIal.

Gossage routinely had multiple inning saves.
xtrem is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #6
Chung Tran
BANNED

last night was a great example.. Morrow comes in for the Dodgers, got the shit beat out of him.. 7 pitches, gave up 2 homers, a double, a single, and a wild pitch.. all that in 7 pitches! because the Fucking Manager thought it was time for a relief pitcher.. just automatic, doesn't matter what the guy before him was doing, bring in Morrow.

which brings me to ask.. what the Hell happened to Bullpen Coaches and Catchers? it used to be they would evaluate the pitcher warming up, and call to the dugout.. "nope, he has no movement on the Slider".. nobody decides anymore, it's lefty vs. lefty, reliever after 90 pitches.. that kind of shit. the algorithm makes the "decision".
Old 10-30-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Chung Tran
BANNED

Wilbur Wood.. before the advent of the Pussy Pitcher.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/tht-li...came-a-legend/
Old 10-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Quote:
last night was a great example.. Morrow comes in for the Dodgers, got the shit beat out of him.. 7 pitches, gave up 2 homers, a double, a single, and a wild pitch.. all that in 7 pitches! because the Fucking Manager thought it was time for a relief pitcher.. just automatic, doesn't matter what the guy before him was doing, bring in Morrow.
This is real easy to recognize after the fact. Most managers go by a gut feeling and apparently Dave Roberts rolled the dice with Morrow, which came back and bit him in the ass. Look at McHugh, pitched great against the Yankees getting outs when nobody else could. Last night McHugh got bitch-slapped. Each night a pitcher pitches doesn't mean what he did before mattered at all, it's how he does on that night.

Quote:
Wilbur Wood.. before the advent of the Pussy Pitcher.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/tht-li...came-a-legend/
This is a bad analogy because Wood threw the knuckle ball which isn't anywhere as bad on the arm as throwing fastballs, curves, and sliders.

.......and yes, I pitched for one summer in a recreational league. I did OK with the fast ball, wasn't dominate, but got my share of outs. I was a thrower, not a pitcher. The only 'curve' or change up I threw probably came down to earth when Skylab did. There was no ice, no trainers, just about 6 teams of guys playing baseball vs. slow pitch softball. I also played around 3 years of fast pitch softball. When you got a hit in baseball or fast pitch softball, you felt like you accomplished something, instead of getting a single in slow pitch softball which was a ho-hum experience.
DEAR_JOHN is online now   Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
Chung Tran
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN View Post
Each night a pitcher pitches doesn't mean what he did before mattered at all, it's how he does on that night.

This is a bad analogy because Wood threw the knuckle ball which isn't anywhere as bad on the arm as throwing fastballs, curves, and sliders.
yes, and that goes back to "why take out a Starting Pitcher who is throwing well, and bring in an unknown who you have no idea what stuff he has"? true about Wilbur Wood, BUT the fact remains that Bob Gibson, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, even a flame-thrower like Nolan Ryan pitched far more innings in the 1970's, than your top innings pitchers do today.. which makes my Pussy Pitchers remark valid
Old 10-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Quote:
yes, and that goes back to "why take out a Starting Pitcher who is throwing well, and bring in an unknown who you have no idea what stuff he has"? true about Wilbur Wood, BUT the fact remains that Bob Gibson, Gaylord Perry, Fergie Jenkins, even a flame-thrower like Nolan Ryan pitched far more innings in the 1970's, than your top innings pitchers do today.. which makes my Pussy Pitchers remark valid
Yes, about the great ones that's true. But you only mentioned the great ones which is only strengthening yourcause instead of including the every day pitcher.

About the modern pitchers, is it them or the manager who's trying to protect his pitchers from overuse? Give me a pitcher who basically says to get out of his way and let him pitch. Then again it's well known that on the 3rd time around, the hitters know more about the pitcher. In essence, throw different types of pitchers against the same batters. Start off with a starting right hander, then bring in a left hander throwing curves and off speed junk, then bring in a flame thrower.

And as critical as us Astro fans are of our bullpen performance, just remember that the highly touted Dodger bullpen isn't faring any better. On two of our wins, the highly respected 'best closer in the national league' couldn't hold a lead.

However if I see Giles coming in at any point of the world series, I will be throwing the TV remote control at the TV.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
Chung Tran
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, about the great ones that's true. But you only mentioned the great ones which is only strengthening yourcause instead of including the every day pitcher.
the beginning of the Modern Era of the workhorse relief pitchers began in 1974, when Mike Marshall of the Dodgers appeared in 108 games! that was unreal at the time, Rollie Fingers and others soon followed.. but let's flip back a year, to 1973, and look at the top innings pitched leaders.. in 1973, you had 11 pitchers who reached 293 innings or more.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...-leaders.shtml

in 2017, the top innings pitcher (Sale, for the Boston Red Sox) pitched 214 innings.. enormous statistical difference.. I didn't single out a few top pitchers, this metric extended across the entire league.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #12
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Quote:
the beginning of the Modern Era of the workhorse relief pitchers began in 1974, when Mike Marshall of the Dodgers appeared in 108 games! that was unreal at the time, Rollie Fingers and others soon followed.. but let's flip back a year, to 1973, and look at the top innings pitched leaders.. in 1973, you had 11 pitchers who reached 293 innings or more.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/l...-leaders.shtml

in 2017, the top innings pitcher (Sale, for the Boston Red Sox) pitched 214 innings.. enormous statistical difference.. I didn't single out a few top pitchers, this metric extended across the entire league.
Good post, makes sense.

However my point is that todays modern pitcher may not want to come out, however that's the managers decision. I guarantee you that tons of todays pitchers would love to pitch a complete game. I still say the managers want to protect their pitchers arms, so they don't use them as much.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #13
bbkid
Valued Poster

Encounters: 19

Quote:
Good post, makes sense.

However my point is that todays modern pitcher may not want to come out, however that's the managers decision. I guarantee you that tons of todays pitchers would love to pitch a complete game. I still say the owners, upper management, share holders and managers want to protect their pitchers arms, so they don't use them as much.
Fixed. End of argument.
bbkid is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
VitaMan
BANNED

Encounters: 69

What's the point then of a 9 inning game ?

They need to make baseball games 7 innings now, so the players can actually play the entire game, and not suffer.
VitaMan is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:59 PM   #15
DEAR_JOHN
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaMan View Post
What's the point then of a 9 inning game ?

They need to make baseball games 7 innings now, so the players can actually play the entire game, and not suffer.
Do you know anything at all about sports? You sure as hell don't post like it.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women