Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162522
Yssup Rider60335
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48428
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41470
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35846
Mojojo33117

Old 09-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Stan.Dupp
Valued Poster

Exclamation Immigrants lacking papers work legally — as their own bosses

Los Angelos Times article

Savvy young immigrants discover the limited liability company as a way to work legally. Some even hire U.S. citizens.

PHOENIX — At just 20 years of age, Carla Chavarria sits at the helm of a thriving graphic design business, launching branding and media campaigns for national organizations. Some of her projects are so large she has to hire staff.

Still, Chavarria has to hop on buses to meet clients throughout Phoenix because Arizona won't give her a driver's license. The state considers her to be in the country illegally, even though she recently obtained a two-year reprieve from deportation under the Obama administration's deferred action program.

She may not drive, but along with thousands of other young people who entered the country illegally, Chavarria has found a way to make a living without breaking the law.

Although federal law prohibits employers from hiring someone residing in the country illegally, there is no law prohibiting such a person from starting a business or becoming an independent contractor.

As a result, some young immigrants are forming limited liability companies or starting freelance careers — even providing jobs to U.S. citizens — as the prospect of an immigration law revamp plods along in Congress.

Ever since 1986, when employer sanctions took effect as part of the immigration overhaul signed by President Reagan, creating a company or becoming an independent contractor has been a way for people who are in the country illegally to work on a contract basis and get around immigration enforcement.

But organizers who help immigrants said the idea has taken on new life in recent years, often among tech-savvy young people who came into the country illegally or overstayed visas.

Chavarria, who was 7 when she crossed into Arizona from Mexico with her mother, said her parents told her from a young age that anything was possible in her newly adopted country.

"We're taught as young kids that this is the land of opportunity," she said. "They told me, 'You could be anything you want to be if you work hard, you're a good person, obey your parents and go to school.'"

But when she graduated from high school in Phoenix, Chavarria discovered that her lack of legal status was a roadblock to becoming a graphic designer. Although she won a scholarship, she said, she could afford to take only two classes at a time at Scottsdale Community College because she wasn't willing to risk working with fraudulent documents to pay for school.

Congress delivered another blow to Chavarria in 2010 when it failed to pass the Dream Act, which would provide a path to legalization for young adults who were brought into the country illegally as children.

The next year, after she became more involved with the Dream Act Coalition, she discovered a way she could sell her designs to others without fear of repercussions.

How is this possible? Though the issue is complex, the answer boils down to how labor law defines employees, said Muzaffar Chishti, an expert on the intersection of labor and immigration law at the Migration Policy Institute.

For example, employees often have set hours and use equipment provided by the employer. Independent contractors make their own hours, get paid per project by submitting invoices and use their own tools. Also, someone who hires an independent contractor isn't obligated by immigration law to verify that person's legal status.

At a workshop hosted by immigrant rights activists, Chavarria learned about these intricacies of labor law — and how to register as a limited liability company. "I didn't know it was possible," Chavarria said. "And it wasn't that hard."

It was as easy as downloading the forms from the Internet, opening up a bank account and turning in paperwork to the state along with a $50 fee. Proof of citizenship is not required. Regulations vary, but similar procedures exist in other states. In California, the fee is a bit higher and there's an annual minimum tax of $800, but the process is similar to Arizona's.

It's unclear how many entrepreneurs there are like Chavarria. Immigration experts say anecdotal evidence suggests interest in such businesses has grown in recent years as more states have adopted tougher illegal-immigration laws. But research is scant.

Indications of a trend could be found, however, in a Public Policy Institute of California report on the effects of Arizona's 2007 mandatory E-Verify law, which forced businesses to use a federal system intended to weed out people working in the country illegally.

The study found that 25,000 workers living in Arizona illegally became self-employed in 2009. That was an 8% jump over the number a year earlier. They probably formed limited liability companies, created their own businesses or even left employers to become independent contractors.

Freddy S. Pech, 25, a Mexican national who lives in East Los Angeles, said he decided to remain an independent graphic designer rather than form a limited liability company.

"I never found the need to create an LLC. I still pay my taxes and all that," said Pech, who came to the country legally as a child but overstayed his visa.

Erika Andiola, a well-known Arizona immigrant rights activist who recently qualified for immigration relief under the federal deferred action program, said she knows many young people in the movement who created their own companies.

She started one as a political consultant and likes to say that if she ever listed all the entrepreneurs like her on a Facebook page, she could call it "the undocu-Chamber of Commerce."

For some, starting a business can be too challenging.

Andiola had urged her brother, who works in construction, to form his own company. The idea didn't go anywhere, however, because Arizona law says only U.S. citizens can qualify for the necessary permits for his line of work.

People who come to the U.S. later in life have other obstacles, said Mary Lopez, an associate professor of economics at Occidental College in Los Angeles, who specializes in labor and immigrant entrepreneurship.

The older generation tends to be less educated and distrustful of the U.S. banking and financial system. Not so the younger generation.

"We are talking about two different generations," Lopez said. "The longer you stay in the United States and assimilate, the more financially aware you are."

Lillia Romo, who was brought into the U.S. illegally when she was 4, started a school to teach English as a second language in 2009 in Phoenix. She can see the generational gap between her and her mother.

"We have more resources that our parents don't have," she said. "We feel more comfortable in the U.S. It can be intimidating for them. For us, it is just how it is."

Romo and her mother run the school together, but not for long. The 25-year-old obtained immigration relief under the deferred action program and plans to get a regular job and finish school to follow her dream of becoming a doctor for the underserved.

Chavarria also qualified for relief under the federal program this year. Although she said the program gives her peace of mind, she doesn't want to become an employee. She likes the autonomy of having her own business.

Most days, a coffee shop in Phoenix serves as her office, and she charges clients $350 to $5,000 per project. The first time she contracted workers for a large campaign, an odd thought hit her: Although others couldn't hire her, she could hire others.

She also realized that her success had a larger significance.

"They say we're taking money and jobs and don't pay taxes," Chavarria said of arguments made against immigrants in the country illegally. "In reality, it's the opposite. We pay taxes. We create jobs. I'm hiring people — U.S. citizens."
Stan.Dupp is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Randy4Candy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Let's hear it for the entrepreneurial spirit!!!

I guess she took that idea away from some deserving white person who's lineage goes back to the Mayflower...tff! Good thread! Unfortunately, the "one size fits all" cadre won't get the irony.
Randy4Candy is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

OMG illegals paying taxes....
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Laz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Hell I would give her citizenship just based on her looks. More power to her. I suspect if the liberals would compromise she would not have any issues to deal with. There are very few people that want to penalize the children that have been raised in this country. As with most legislation, it is the additional problems it causes that keep it from being passed.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy4Candy View Post
Let's hear it for the entrepreneurial spirit!!!

I guess she took that idea away from some deserving white person who's lineage goes back to the Mayflower...tff! Good thread! Unfortunately, the "one size fits all" cadre won't get the irony.
Would that be the "one size fits all cadre" that acts like most illegal aliens are like her, pretty (I wish they all looked like her!) working productively and paying taxes?
If illegal aliens with brown skin are so great, why does Mexico go to such great lengths to keep them out of their southern border?
If Mexicans are so great for this country, why wouldn't Mexico want them back?
Personally, I love Mexican women. The more, the merrier! (well, the young, skinny, pretty ones, anyway) But all the pro immigration propaganda is nauseating.
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

You're a xenophobe, JL/Marshall/Rock/Kayla

I guess we can add hatred of Mexicans to your robust list of fears.

Unaccepting of any and quick to judge all. Won't be surprised if you get rejected at the Israeli border for lack of proof of identity. Then what? Back here to rage against Israel's immigration policy? (Chit, folks, book that scenario now...)

Sad little man.
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider View Post
You're a xenophobe, JL/Marshall/Rock/Kayla

I guess we can add hatred of Mexicans to your robust list of fears.

Unaccepting of any and quick to judge all. Won't be surprised if you get rejected at the Israeli border for lack of proof of identity. Then what? Back here to rage against Israel's immigration policy? (Chit, folks, book that scenario now...)

Sad little man.
Pretty weak, Dick Rider. You might try thinking for yourself, rather than saying what you learned gets a canned laugh in your pro government education camps.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Stan.Dupp
Valued Poster

Well it seems to me, if you have these folks being this innovative, and starting up their own businesses, why wouldn't we want to give them citizenship in the US? They would be creating jobs, and paying taxes. Not to mention they are hard workers.
Stan.Dupp is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Dupp View Post
Well it seems to me, if you have these folks being this innovative, and starting up their own businesses, why wouldn't we want to give them citizenship in the US? They would be creating jobs, and paying taxes. Not to mention they are hard workers.
It seems to me, that if they were so productive, their own countries wouldn't be in such dire straits.
But, fine, let's devise a policy that gives us the good, hard working people, with none of the criminals, lazy people who want government money, etc.

Anyone can start a business for the cost of a filing fee. What are the statistics for the number of people employed by illegal aliens, average wage, benefits, etc? Or, do they all work for peanuts for exploiters like WTF?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer View Post
Pretty weak, Dick Rider. You might try thinking for yourself, rather than saying what you learned gets a canned laugh in your pro government education camps.
Ingles, por favor, Kayla/Jane/Rocky!

Please describe the pro government education campus I attend.

And please explain how and why you hate Mexicans ... Why you're bringing the up now? Did your rabbi rant against the Mexicans from the Bimah on Yom Kippur? Oh that's right ... You were fucking Korean salve girls while your estranged family members were atoning for your transgressions.

WHAT A FUCKING FRAUD ... and yes, I expect you to answer my question about your Anti-Mexican comments.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:

And please explain how and why you hate Mexicans ... Why you're bringing the up now? Did your rabbi rant against the Mexicans from the Bimah on Yom Kippur? Oh that's right ... You were fucking Korean salve girls while your estranged family members were atoning for your transgressions.

WHAT A FUCKING FRAUD ... and yes, I expect you to answer my question about your Anti-Mexican comments.
I like Mexicans, dick rider. I just think we should import the rich ones, or the pretty ones. ( or maybe the conservative ones) The poor, huddled masses, yearning to live for free should be some else's problem - like the mother fucking mother and father of the poor little bastards.
I take care of my family, everyone who is physically able to do so should do it or go to jail, the lazy mother fuckers.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:

What say ye to this, Dick Rider? Israel plans to deport 50,000 black people to Africa. Are Jewish people racist?
No Dream Act - No Asylum - No Multicultural Paradise - Israel is for white Israeli people.

Israel confirms plan to deport African migrants to Uganda

Interior minister says Israel will set a deadline by which 'infiltrators' will have to leave 'of their own free will'

Israel plans to soon begin deporting migrants from Eritrea and Sudan, who number more than 50,000, back to Africa via Uganda, officials said.
Israel regards most of the Africans as illegal visitors in search of jobs, and largely rejects the position of human rights groups that many fled their countries in search of political asylum.
A statement late on Thursday from interior minister Gideon Sa'ar said Israel would soon begin a staged process of deporting the migrants, most of whom have crossed the border with Egypt since 2006.
Sa'ar said an agreement had been reached with Uganda to absorb the "infiltrators", who would soon be urged "to leave of their own free will".
Sa'ar said the prime minister's special envoy Hagai Hadas had obtained Uganda's consent, Haaretz reported.
The chairwoman of parliament's committee on foreign workers, Michal Rozin, speaking by phone, said there were "rumours" that Uganda may have agreed to the arrangement in exchange for a deal for money and weapons.
There was no immediate comment from officials in Kampala.
"In the first stage, we will focus on raising awareness within the population of infiltrators while helping them with the logistics of their departure, including costs, airfare and dealing with the possessions they accumulated while they were in Israel," Sa'ar said.
Later the state would set a deadline by which "certain sectors within the infiltrator population" would be asked to "willingly" leave the country.
Once the deadline passed, the state would stop issuing extensions on visas and would begin enforcing laws that prohibit the employment of illegal migrants, the minister said.
Rozin urged the government to expose more details of the plan, including whether there were assurances that the migrants would not be forcibly repatriated to Sudan or Eritrea, saying that in these countries "we know many would be at risk of their lives".
Human rights groups say Israel has jailed hundreds of African migrants and taken other steps to get them to agree to leave the country.
A few thousand are believed to have left Israel in the past year since a law enacted in 2012 authorising migrants who lack any official residence permits to be jailed for up to three years, said Sigal Rozen, policy co-ordinator for Hotline for Migrant Workers (HMW), an Israeli human rights group.
In July, a group of 14 Eritreans were repatriated after receiving $1,500 each from Israeli authorities, in what HMW denounced at the time as a "grave human rights violation", citing Eritrea's poor human rights record.
At least one group of Africans was flown out of Israel to South Sudan in the past year and other migrants have been offered cash to leave. Some 2,000 Africans are being held in the southern detention centres.
A fortified fence along Israel's border with Egypt's Sinai has largely stemmed the flow of migrants, who walked across what was a porous frontier at a rate of up to 2,000 a month in 2011.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer View Post
What say ye to this, Dick Rider? Israel plans to deport 50,000 black people to Africa. Are Jewish people racist?
No Dream Act - No Asylum - No Multicultural Paradise - Israel is for white Israeli people.
I think you answered your own question, JewishEmbarrassment.

Really? A young woman can't find a job so she uses her brains, creativity and capitalist free enterprise spirit to start a successful business?

This is what America used to be all about! She is a shining example to our own citizens who demand government provide for them. Kudos to her! And to the others, get your hands off my wallet and get off your asses! Do something constructive!
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

He is an embarrassment Whiny. Plain and simple. I think it's a desperate cry for help, like it is with all of his ECCIE personalities.

And for the record ... The immigration policies of Israel are not my problem. I can only hope that the fraud we know as Jewish Lawyer winds up in a Ugandan refugee camp with all the other undesirables.

I support Israel. But I swore an oath to die for my country, as so many of us did. JL is a fucking traitor.

Oh yeah, and most probably a faggot.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
I think you answered your own question, JewishEmbarrassment.

Really? A young woman can't find a job so she uses her brains, creativity and capitalist free enterprise spirit to start a successful business?

This is what America used to be all about! She is a shining example to our own citizens who demand government provide for them. Kudos to her! And to the others, get your hands off my wallet and get off your asses! Do something constructive!
Really, COG, if they were all like her, who could complain? (Although, she could have a lame ass business that makes 2 grand a year - that wasn't covered too well in the report.)
But they aren't all like her, are they Kemosabe?
I say again we could solve the problem by only letting rich people come to this country, color wouldn't matter to me if they were rich.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women