Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
test
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70750
biomed162882
Yssup Rider60554
gman4453255
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48527
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42063
CryptKicker37192
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36425
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 05-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
mikkifine
Account Disabled

User ID: 1641
My ECCIE Reviews
Default The Sociology of Sport

Why do so many people participate in sports either as fans?

Players?

Or as a business?

What do sports answer in terms of human needs?

How can it be explained from a sociological point of view?
mikkifine is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
JohnMacnab
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

Vicarious combat.

vi·car·i·ous/vīˈkerēəs/Adjective
1. Experienced in the imagination through the feelings or actions of another person

Com-bat, or fighting, is a purposeful violent conflict meant to establish dominance over the opposition.
JohnMacnab is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
K2S0
Valued Poster

Encounters: 41

Sports are another way people define themselves. It's a competition and a metric used to gauge skills, and it's a business that is lucrative because people are willing to pay to see it.

Sociologically as to why people are fans, it can be many reasons.

It builds a sense of community. Cities cohere around their sports teams. "We won on Sunday," or "We have to make a trade for so-and-so." That "we" speaks of collective self-identification. People find common ground with others that they would otherwise not have because of sports. I have high-fived, hugged, shared tables and beers with complete strangers simply because we root for the same team.

It's an escape. Sports are fun. "Adults" jump just to see how high they can. They play with a giddiness that we usually associate with children. And it's not just about the playing the sport. Fans permit themselves to play. WE are gleeful, pumping arms, faces painted, chanting, screaming, singing, jingling keys telling the other team to go home. There is no comparable reason in public society where adults can collectively be goofballs.

It's inspiring. The number of movies and books that have been written and filmed based on sports is staggering. It's easy to see why. They are filled with drama, action and suspense. So many are based on true stories. They are tales of brilliance, stupidity, heart, passion, hard work, ambition, hope, ferocity, luck, teamwork, wins, losses and everything in between. The characters are varied, full of weaknesses and strengths. They are human and relatable.
K2S0 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
mikkifine
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Excellent responses, gentlemen. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
mikkifine
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Next questions.

You can look at sports from several theoretical perspectives including conflict, functionalist, interactionist, and feminist.

Which of these is most useful in looking at the sociology of sports?

Why?
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
K2S0
Valued Poster

is this a survey for class work? lol
K2S0 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
mikkifine
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

deevad--Research for a paper.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #8
Still Looking
BANNED

Encounters: 399
Wink

Mattress Sports... Participant! Guilty as charged. Started in high school with a coed wrestling match. I didn't lose that match but I've lost a few since then
Still Looking is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
mikkifine
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

@Still looking--Mattress Sports? LOL!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Eccie Addict
Former Post Ho

Encounters: 25

It's also a form of discipline. Most parents put their children in sports to instill and teach discipline along with keep them out of trouble, sometimes to keep them out of their hair lol. That turns into something that young folks use to have a better life.
Eccie Addict is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Ansley
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 499
My ECCIE Reviews

There is a website called http://justanswer.com It's a great place if you need help with homework.
Ansley is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
K2S0
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkifine View Post
Next questions.

You can look at sports from several theoretical perspectives including conflict, functionalist, interactionist, and feminist.

Which of these is most useful in looking at the sociology of sports?

Why?
the perspective of Conflict and Interactionism are most poignant for analyzing the sociology in sports... I understand that they might be considered separate theoretical view points but when dealing with "sports" both need to be factored into any true discussion about the sociology of sports.

Conflict, definitely, is obvious when talking about sports. At the heart of any sport is a competition and the struggles that inherently come with that competition. Conflict Theory in sociological terms of course draws attention to power differentials. Normally that involves class conflict, but in sports it is just as evident. The haves and the have nots also exist in sports. There are sports dynasties with storied histories, and legions of fans that have ridiculous revenue. There are middling franchises that are neither great or bad. And of course there are perennial failures that struggle year in and year out. There are underdogs and David Vs Goliath stories. But no matter who they are or what team they play for they struggle to be better, they all fight and compete to reach the top. It's the competition; the conflict that drives them to be better. This doesn't apply simply to the athlete and the organization but the fan as well. Conflict drives the fan just as much as his love for his team. (ie Rivalries.)

Interactionism, or social interaction, is a face-to-face process consisting of actions, reactions, and mutual adaptation between people. It's about communication. Conflict breeds interaction, but so does teamwork and working towards a common goal. This is evident in sports: the inspiring speech the head coach gives to his players, the quarterback recognizing a shift in the defensive formation and then switches to an audible, the hand signals a catcher shows his pitcher, the X's and O's on the chalkboard. The sport itself and the interactions from it breed social bonds, camaraderie, and mutual trust. And again this is not limited simply to the athlete. The fan engages in social interaction because of sports just as much if not more. Wearing team colors, buying merchandise, throwing up Hook'em Horns, doing the wave, throwing social events all because of sports.

I list Conflict over Interactionism because competition is inherent to all sports. The interaction between competitors could be considred "interactionist" but it's more a product of the conflict. Interactionism is reflected better in team oriented sports.

woulda replied earlier but i went out for dinner
K2S0 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
Still Looking
BANNED

Encounters: 399
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevad View Post
the perspective of Conflict and Interactionism are most poignant for analyzing the sociology in sports... I understand that they might be considered separate theoretical view points but when dealing with "sports" both need to be factored into any true discussion about the sociology of sports.

Conflict, definitely, is obvious when talking about sports. At the heart of any sport is a competition and the struggles that inherently come with that competition. Conflict Theory in sociological terms of course draws attention to power differentials. Normally that involves class conflict, but in sports it is just as evident. The haves and the have nots also exist in sports. There are sports dynasties with storied histories, and legions of fans that have ridiculous revenue. There are middling franchises that are neither great or bad. And of course there are perennial failures that struggle year in and year out. There are underdogs and David Vs Goliath stories. But no matter who they are or what team they play for they struggle to be better, they all fight and compete to reach the top. It's the competition; the conflict that drives them to be better. This doesn't apply simply to the athlete and the organization but the fan as well. Conflict drives the fan just as much as his love for his team. (ie Rivalries.)

Interactionism, or social interaction, is a face-to-face process consisting of actions, reactions, and mutual adaptation between people. It's about communication. Conflict breeds interaction, but so does teamwork and working towards a common goal. This is evident in sports: the inspiring speech the head coach gives to his players, the quarterback recognizing a shift in the defensive formation and then switches to an audible, the hand signals a catcher shows his pitcher, the X's and O's on the chalkboard. The sport itself and the interactions from it breed social bonds, camaraderie, and mutual trust. And again this is not limited simply to the athlete. The fan engages in social interaction because of sports just as much if not more. Wearing team colors, buying merchandise, throwing up Hook'em Horns, doing the wave, throwing social events all because of sports.

I list Conflict over Interactionism because competition is inherent to all sports. The interaction between competitors could be considred "interactionist" but it's more a product of the conflict. Interactionism is reflected better in team oriented sports.

woulda replied earlier but i went out for dinner
Well there you have it!

Note to Self: Never get into a battle of wits with deevad
Still Looking is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women