Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > San Antonio > The Sandbox - San Antonio
test
The Sandbox - San Antonio The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 261
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70680
biomed162356
Yssup Rider60209
gman4453216
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48387
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41252
CryptKicker37178
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Guest031811
Account Disabled

User ID: 2652
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Religion

As a college student at a religious university, it is required that I take a shitload of theology and philosophy courses to graduate.

So, I’m sitting in this philosophy course and the professor is talking about the “war of culture.” He said that most often religion is a major defining factor for culture. (I’m thinking, WTF? Really?) AND when there is a conflict, is MOST often about religion. He started rattling stuff off like
1. Armenian genocide in Turkey (1.5 million deaths)
2. Jewish Holocaust in Germany (11 million deaths)
3. Rwandan Genocide (1 million deaths)
4. Muslim-Christian crusades (9 million)
5. France Huguenot vs. Catholic (4 million)
6. Protestants vs. Catholics in Ireland
7. Jews vs. Muslims in the Middle East
And the list goes on and on and on….

My initial thought is, “why the hell can’t we all just get along?”

I think religion is akin to professional sports. If I am a fan of the Spurs, I might decorate my room/office, get a tattoo, wear a t-shirt, and get a bumper sticker with Spurs symbols. Likewise, often, people who are religious will get a “cross” tattoo, hang a cross in their room/office, wear a hijab (Muslim headpiece), etc. If I am a Spurs fan, I will attend Spurs games (or watch them on tv), watch sports commentary on espn, and perhaps read sports illustrated. If I am religious, I will go to church, listen to religious speakers, and read the religious text of choice.

Do me a favor. Observe some of these sports fans. They paint their bodies head to toe. They get massively drunk. They yell, scream, and cry.

Why is it then that the Mets fans never have a Yankee’s genocide?

I mean, really, what are we fighting over? OK, so I’m not going to get into your heaven because I don’t believe in your God. OK. Cool. Why does this concern you? Hey- as long as you’re getting in, why do you care what I believe in?

Period. End of story. Agree to disagree.

Maybe I’m missing some HUGE key element. But I totally DON’T get why people kill other people because of “god”.
Guest031811 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
sanantonioman37
Valued Poster

Encounters: 42

In my opinion, God is a cover story for the real reasons i.e. power, land, resources or just plain greed. Like the Iliad, it was not about Helen, Helen was just the excuse allowing people to justify it. Now that does not mean that everyone involved is there for the same reasons, some may honestly believe it was Gods will......some ignorant and some are zealots. Well thats my take..........in wars like that look for the ones that benefit from it and there will be your culprits.
sanantonioman37 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
sanantonioman37
Valued Poster

You ask a lot of deep questions. (Meant as a compliment)
sanantonioman37 is offline   Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

The deep rooted conflicts you mention exhibit the true ugliness of the fanatics who waged them. These fanatics do not do these things for logical reasons and to try to determine one that you can blame for the cause of the conflict is an exercise in futility.

The same thing can be said for politics.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Guest112218
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5

I dont really think you can compare being a fan of a sports team to religious affiliation. Religion gives people purpose, or a reason for living... means to an end. Usually explaining why we are here etc.. a belief some think is worth fighting for. I personally think war of religion is stupid and everyone should be allowed to practice whatever they believe in their own way as long as it does not harm others, but its more than what its like to be a fan of sports. However soccer in Europe is cause for many riots/gangs and such. Similar yet on a much smaller scale.. probly few deaths.
Guest112218 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #6
Aftershock
Valued Poster

Encounters: 52

As a high school drop out who is pretty much a couch potato I see alot of crap on tv and only retain a smidgen of it...lol ok thats me trying to be silly please dont take offense but let me respond in my simple ways to express my opinion ty.

From what little I know and what few religions Ive been exposed to, they all seem to be peaceful. I speak of the religions themselves not the people who believe and follow them, not the people preach it and sway believers to follow. I dont know all the beliefs that go into these religions but do they preach War in the their teachings? Why preach war into religion? It doesnt make sense. I think of religion as a set of guidelines/rules to follow for the masses to consume and conform to, but not blindly. Also its a common bond of the community for that particular religion. If you have no religion then you have no guidelines/rules to follow to keep you on a path. What that path is i dont know Im not you. But if religion isnt your thing then its simply about having a good set of rules/guidelines/code to live by that helps you focus and lead the most positive life you can.

I think of it also like a tool... Imagine a hammer, a carpenter teaches you how to hold it, use it and maintain it and from that you can create with it and prosper. Yet this simple tool can be wielded as a weapon, a tool of death and destruction and can be used to gain for greed and smite with anger. So ya in some of these wars, the strong believers were probably duped by a leader that used and twisted religion as a driving force to get what they wanted. I agree with SAman37 about religion being a cover story, but I say more that religion is not to blame but a tool misused in these wars...lol, I laugh because well... Watch the movie "Book of Eli" that is now out in theatres, it touches on this subject of religion and war, religion as positive force or a tool to manipulate for ones greed.
I agree with Cerberus also, comparing religion to sports is kinda not good but I see were you were going with it. Ugh soccer hooligans, lol. Well I know Im not as edumedcated as you others and some of my thoughts have holes you could drive a mack truck through but Im just expressing mehself for the threads sake and to get thoughts outta my head. Peace be with you.
Aftershock is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #7
inchonjoe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
If you have no religion then you have no guidelines/rules to follow to keep you on a path.
I was going to protest loudly. But you followed up with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftershock View Post
But if religion isnt your thing then its simply about having a good set of rules/guidelines/code to live by that helps you focus and lead the most positive life you can.
So, okay. Never mind.
inchonjoe is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
DRAGON210
Valued Poster

Encounters: 25

Religion gives people purpose. War is not waged over religion. People in power, people who are seeking power wage war. These zealouts use religion as a means to an end. They manipulate religious teachings for their own benefits. Wars are not waged in order to convince others that "my God is better". That is simply the facade that people in power use to get what they want.

Do you really think radical muslims want to convert Americans over to Islam? Do you think they care so much about our salvation that they want to help us reach heaven? It has nothing to do with religion. It is all about power and the struggle for more.

I agree with SA man. Brittany is definately a thinker.....kudos.
DRAGON210 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
sarasmelik
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 5518
My ECCIE Reviews

To my understanding the Holocaust wasnt over religion it was POWER!! The Rwanda genocide is the conflict between two different types of people and the way there cultures are different and in this case religion plays a little role. Most of genocide isnt because of religion its due to power and control like dragon210 stated.
I think what you are saying is right that just because we dont believe in the same thing doesnt mean we should kill each other however everyone being different is what makes the world go round!
I am not saying that what they do is right/wrong anything like that but religion is just part of the factor to these events. In your religion classes you will also realize that history repeats itself. The war in Isreal has been going on FOREVER!!
Have fun in your class I had to take a lot of religion classes at my University also!
sarasmelik is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Guest112218
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5

Yes, yes Book of Eli was pretty awesome... not at all what I expected but I did enjoy it. Some wars over religion were a result of oppression. If the king named a certain official religion over the land and pushed it on the people, and those who believed otherwise would be punished. The pilgrims who came to and "discovered" America were fleeing religious persecution. If you dont have have the option to leave maybe you have to stay and fight? But ya it all comes back to power... those in power think what they believe is right and force those with less power to believe the same whether that's what the religion preaches or not.
Guest112218 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
oden
Valued Poster

So Brittany I'm curious, why did you choose to attend a religious school?
oden is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
rgvpapi
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31

The inherent problem with organized religion is that man is the one who has had to interpret it.

I have tried many times to re-discover the religion of my youth, but I find that even if the preacher/pastor/father gives a meaningful sermon, and the collection plate is passed around for the needy, the sick and the poor, I still cant get past the fact that he is rolling around in a brand new Caddy, wearing nice clothes and living in a nice neighborhood.

I guess it's just harder and harder to have faith in man, then it used to be.
rgvpapi is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
handyGiraffe
Valued Poster

Encounters: 98

Hi Brit...as always you put up the most provocative thoughts for comment. LOL
My advice to my kids was if you go to college you accept their input from their point of view..learn it..(you don't have to agree)....graduate...and move on with your life. Most often you'll notice that a "Professor" has never lived in the real world, met a payroll, financed a business or made the critical decisions related to their course of study. Yet, they have often written or co-written the book you have to pay $165 for to attend their class....I think the majority of them are FOS which makes their point of view worthless...but you can't give them the bird until you have the degree in your hand and you are off the property....cheers...HandyG
handyGiraffe is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
BigBudha
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvpapi View Post
The inherent problem with organized religion is that man is the one who has had to interpret it.

I have tried many times to re-discover the religion of my youth, but I find that even if the preacher/pastor/father gives a meaningful sermon, and the collection plate is passed around for the needy, the sick and the poor, I still cant get past the fact that he is rolling around in a brand new Caddy, wearing nice clothes and living in a nice neighborhood.

I guess it's just harder and harder to have faith in man, then it used to be.
Sounds a lot like these all too common, non-denominational mega-churches that preach - the more money you give, the more God will give back to you.
BigBudha is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
ClassyGuy
Registered Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

It's been said many times, by people who are very much against religion, that God is the reason for more deaths than anything else. And, on the surface, this seems to be true. However, as most people have pointed out, these wars weren't really about religion, they were about power. Religion was just the excuse used. I guess killing in the name of God sounds more noble than killing in the name of "I really want that piece of land."

By the way, your comparison to sports is OK, as long as you don't bring up soccer fans, also known as soccer hooligans. You almost see mini-wars in the stands at these matches.

I left school just a year away from graduating with a BA in Theology. I really liked this topic.
ClassyGuy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women