Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70548
biomed161608
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453120
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48044
pyramider46370
bambino40774
CryptKicker37136
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33
Default Happy 150th Emancipation Proclamation

Not a good day for Confederate sympathizers.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t2#...-turns-150.cnn
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post

Signed into law by one of those racist Republicans.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Munchmasterman
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

I think you've made a mistake.

Those repubs weren't racists.......
Munchmasterman is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
UB9IB6
Account Disabled

Thanks linc. Good job. The droopy pants industry thanks you .
UB9IB6 is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Brilliant political move by old Abe. He freed the slaves in a country with which he was at war, and had no authority. He DID NOT free the slaves in those slave states that were supporting the Union.

Quote:

In his new book, Forced Into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream, black American author, Lerone Bennett, presents historic evidence supporting the theory that Abraham Lincoln was, in fact, a devoted racist harboring a life-long desire to see all black Americans deported to Africa.

Bennett suggests that as a young politician in Illinois, Lincoln regularly used racial slurs in speeches, told racial jokes to his black servants, and vocally opposed any new laws that would have bettered the lives of black Americans.

Key to Bennett's thesis is the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which, Bennett argues, Lincoln was forced into issuing by the powerful abolitionist wing of his own party. Bennett asserts that Lincoln carefully worded the document to apply only to the rebel Southern states, which were not under Union control at the time, thus resulting in an Emancipation Proclamation that did not in itself free a single slave.

At one point, Bennett quotes William Henry Seward, Lincoln's secretary of state, who referred to the proclamation as a hollow, meaningless document showing no more than, "our sympathy with the slaves by emancipating the slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free."

Cite: http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800a.htm

Yes, Lincoln was a racist Republican. Quote:

Abraham Lincoln Quote

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President
Source:

Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858

Cite: http://markii.wordpress.com/2007/02/...history-month/

Like most politicians, Lincoln was about POWER, not freedom.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Yssup Rider
BANNED

Encounters: 67

GodDAMN, does no good deed go unshatupon?
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Brilliant political move by old Abe. He freed the slaves in a country with which he was at war, and had no authority. He DID NOT free the slaves in those slave states that were supporting the Union.

Quote:

In his new book, Forced Into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream, black American author, Lerone Bennett, presents historic evidence supporting the theory that Abraham Lincoln was, in fact, a devoted racist harboring a life-long desire to see all black Americans deported to Africa.

Bennett suggests that as a young politician in Illinois, Lincoln regularly used racial slurs in speeches, told racial jokes to his black servants, and vocally opposed any new laws that would have bettered the lives of black Americans.

Key to Bennett's thesis is the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which, Bennett argues, Lincoln was forced into issuing by the powerful abolitionist wing of his own party. Bennett asserts that Lincoln carefully worded the document to apply only to the rebel Southern states, which were not under Union control at the time, thus resulting in an Emancipation Proclamation that did not in itself free a single slave.

At one point, Bennett quotes William Henry Seward, Lincoln's secretary of state, who referred to the proclamation as a hollow, meaningless document showing no more than, "our sympathy with the slaves by emancipating the slaves where we cannot reach them and holding them in bondage where we can set them free."

Cite: http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa082800a.htm

Yes, Lincoln was a racist Republican. Quote:

Abraham Lincoln Quote

I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

by:

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President
Source:

Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858

Cite: http://markii.wordpress.com/2007/02/...history-month/

Needless to say, I disagree with most of what you quoted.

I strongly suggest you see the movie "Lincoln". The history isn't perfect, but it gets it mostly right.

Including the fact that Lincoln did and said a LOT of things to avoid aggravating opposition to emancipation. He appeared to be quite adept about pretending not to want to free the slaves while quietly working to do so.

Most of the movie centers around the passage of the 13th Amendment. Lincoln pulled every political favor he had. Particularly good was his interaction with Thaddeus Stevens, who is played by Tommy Lee Jones.

Thaddeus Stevens, a vehement abolitionist, fervently believed in the equality of blacks and whites. To avoid aggravating racist Democrats still in Congress, Lincoln persuaded Stevens to bite his tongue and to state only that he favored ending slavery and NOT promoting racial equality as well. It is a rather dramatic moment in the movie. If you haven't seen it, do so.

The political horse-trading and buying of favors in the middle of a civil war was amazing.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
cptjohnstone
Valued Poster

Quote:

I guess the blacks in Texas will have to wait a 2 1/2 more years, Juneteeth?

for those not from Texas, the slaves did not hear about the emancipation act until Union troops arrived in 1865
cptjohnstone is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
Why not power AND freedom? Why do you cast them as opposites? They don't have to be, though they frequently are.

How about amassing power to bring about freedom? Using power to stamp out inequality based on race, ethnicity, or gender promotes freedom is a good thing, is it not?

You can't always wait for the power of peaceful persuasion and reason to prevail. Why wait decades or generatoins while people suffer? Some folks will refuse to listen, no matter what.

Like Al Qaeda.

Or slave owners.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

ExNYer, what is incorrect about my post? Did the Emancipation Proclamation free the slaves in the North, or did it only free the slaves in the South, where Lincoln, at that time, had no authority? Did Lincoln not say those words in his debate with Stephen Douglass, or not?

Haven't decided if I will see the movie or not. I expect quite a bit of is fiction, but I haven't seen it, so I will withhold my observations until after I see it, if at all.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
I expect quite a bit of is fiction
Why should that be a concern? You seem to have great difficulty separating fact from fiction.
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
ExNYer, what is incorrect about my post? Did the Emancipation Proclamation free the slaves in the North, or did it only free the slaves in the South, where Lincoln, at that time, had no authority? Did Lincoln not say those words in his debate with Stephen Douglass, or not?
The Lincoln Douglas debate speeches are a perfect example of Lincoln soft-selling abolition in order to minimize opposition. What a lot of Confederate sympathizers and Lincoln bashers fail to appreciate is that while a LOT of whites favored ending slavery, a much smaller number believed in actual equality of the races. It was a lot easier to persuade whites that slavery was wrong if you could persuade them that they wouldn't lost their jobs to blacks. So Lincoln and others had to walk a fine line.

In other words, those debate speeches should be taken with a grain of salt. Lincoln said what he had to say in order to win. Kind of like when Democrats say they would like to lower taxes and cut spending, too, just not right now because of all the "emergencies" we are facing - and always will.

See the movie, it addresses the Emancipation Proclamation head on.

Lincoln did not free the slaves in the border states that were still in the Union in order to avoid any further secession. He had no choice in that one. Contra the author you quoted, the Emancipation DID free LOTS slaves immediately - the slaves in the parts of the Confederacy controlled by Union troops, which was quite a lot.

Lincoln used the argument that the slaves were war booty that the Confederacy was using to keep its army supplied. By ending slavery, the Confederacy would lose its logistical base and the war would end sooner. That was a winning argument even in the slave-holding border states that were still in the Union.

Of course, that left Lincoln with a problem if the war ended and the southern states rejoined the Union with slavery still intact in those states. With the war over, the rationale behind the Proclamation would be ended and it was feared that southerners would demand their slaves back.

Hence, the urgency for ratifying the 13th Amendment.

And it had to be done by securing the votes of a lot of lame duck Democrats. Republicans had a majority, but not the 2/3rds necessary to send the amendment to the states to be ratified.

So Lincoln sent some undercover agents to meet with lame-duck Democrats to promise them jobs in his administration when they left office in early 1865.

See the movie to learn about all the backroom deals and compromises that had to be made.

See the movie to hear the hilarious off-color joke Lincoln tells about Ethan Allen.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Quote:
See the movie, it addresses the Emancipation Proclamation head on.

Lincoln did not free the slave in the border states that were still in the Union in order to avoid any further mutiny. He had no choice in that one. Of course he had a choice. He took the politician's way out, instead of the statesman's way out. If it was about slavery, he would have freed them all.

Contra the author, the Emancipation DID free slaves immediately - the slave in the parts of the Confederacy controlled by the Union, which was quite a lot. The war wasn't over. And he didn't free all the slaves controlled by the Union. The slave states supporting the Union got to keep theirs.

Lincoln used the argument that the slaves were war booty that the Confederacy was using to keep its army supplied. By ending slavery, the Confederacy would lose its logistical base and the war would end sooner. That was a winning argument even in the slave-holding border states that were still in the Union. So slaves supporting the Union were inferior to slaves supporting the Confederacy?

Of course, that left Lincoln with a problem if the war ended and the southern states rejoined the Union with slavery still intact in those states. With the war over, the rationale behind the Proclamation would be ended and it was feared that southerners would demand their slaves back.

Hence, the urgency for ratifying the 13th Amendment.

And it had to be done by securing the votes of a lot of lame duck Democrats. Republicans had a majority, but not the 2/3rds necessary to send the amendment to the states to be ratified.

So Lincoln sent some undercover agents to meet with lame-duck Democrats to promise them jobs in his administration when they left office in early 1865. How is that different from what any other politician does?

See the movie. I might. But I think Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter will probably be more historically accurate.
I don't want this to degenerate into a name calling match, ExNYer. I respect you and your opinion. I simply have a pretty low opinion of Lincoln. Slavery was a dying institution, being driven out by technology and the enlightenment of the citizens. It was a good excuse for war, and for centralizing power in the federal government, however.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
I don't want this to degenerate into a name calling match, ExNYer. I respect you and your opinion. I simply have a pretty low opinion of Lincoln. Slavery was a dying institution, being driven out by technology and the enlightenment of the citizens. It was a good excuse for war, and for centralizing power in the federal government, however.
The central point is that the EP did free slaves in the areas of the Confederacy controlled by the Union. The fact that the 4 border states (DE, KY, MO, MD) got to keep theirs a little bit longer changes nothing.

Regarding statesmanship, Lincoln did the statesman-like thing when he took the ONLY path available. Freeing ALL slaves - including in the border states - might have led to 4 more secessions and lost the war.

Your argument is an excellent example of making the PERFECT the enemy of the GOOD.

You are famous on this board for speaking rather reverently about the Founding Fathers and what statesmen they were. And yet, they also made a deal with the devil when they adopted the Constitution - the 3/5ths Compromise that gave the slave states a super majority-like power. Slavery would have ended much sooner if the FF hadn't done that.

With respect to slavery being a dying institution, I think you are looking at the past with rose-colored glasses. It was as much about culture as it was about economics. Blind hatred for the "other" sustained it, more so than economics.

Why would technology have ended it? Slave owners would be perfectly content having slaves operate machinery in some other industry, too.. Arguably technology (the cotton gin) kept slavery alive longer than it otherwise would have survived.

If the Civil War hadn't occurred, I think slavery would have endured into the 1900s and we would have had far worse segregation after that.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

You may be right on some counts, ExNYer, the Founders did do what they had to do to get the Constitution ratified, and that included the 3/5 compromise. We would not have had the Constitution without it. So, I will ponder your points. However, inventions such as the cotton gin greatly reduced the need for slaves, and I think it would have died out much sooner than you do, and I think the divisions we currently face would have been much less. But those are opinions.

But I will ponder your points. They are certainly valid. And I do especially understand about doing what you have to do to get what you eventually want. The Founders did that, and I can see where Lincoln may have had that in mind as well.

Well played, ExNYer. We can discuss controversial matters without falling into personal attacks. I appreciate that.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women