Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70548
biomed161608
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453117
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48040
pyramider46370
bambino40768
CryptKicker37136
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117
View Poll Results: What is the solution to mass shootings in the US?
Assault weapons ban and/or stricter gun laws 13 26.00%
Better management of mental health issues 21 42.00%
More armed civilians at school and businesses 9 18.00%
More armed secyruty at school and businesses 13 26.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
markroxny
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3
Default What do you say is the real solution for these mass shootings?

Pick your solution and say why
markroxny is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

Ban "gun free" zones....let those who are trained and licensed carry legally.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

I wouldn't ban them; but instead of beating up on gun owners and gun right advocates, politicians, news outlets, and the left should start laying blame on Hollywood, the media, and distributors/producers of violent video games and other violent laden entertainment.

Poor parenting is the big culprit in my opinion. Too many broken homes with single parents who are ill-equipped to properly raise children. Help them by using the presidential bully pulpit against the producers of violent trash !
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

We have a culture in which is is ok to kill late-term or partially delivered babies.....change that culture.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
markroxny
Valued Poster

Actually the culture is a good point Whirl, how do i change the poll?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
fetishfreak
Account Disabled

Encounters: 15

All of the above. Assault riffles are already banned in many areas. Some tightening of gun control laws are fine. Mandatory waiting periods are fine. However this alone is not a solution since it will mostly affect law abiding people trying to protect themselves.

Improving work with mentally ill is never a bad thing but should not come at taxpayer expense. Now if you want to legalize drugs free those imprisoned for non violent drug related crime and use the savings to restore mental health care I may support that.

The last two are a preventive measure. This does not solve the problem it merely helps to reduce the damage should the problem occur. I believe that had teachers been armed or a security presence been available this guy may still have tried to do this attack. However, it likely would have resulted in fewer deaths.

In this case number 2 would likely have had the best results. 3 and 4 would have only served to shorten the attack.
fetishfreak is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
joe bloe
Valued Poster

There is no solution. To say that there is a solution is to say that the problem can be solved. It never will be. We can try to improve security in our schools. We can try to be more vigilant in looking for warning signs of mental illness that might lead to murder. But in the end, this sort of thing will happen again; there is no way to prevent it.

The worst mass murder in an elementary school in American history happened in 1927. Thirty eight elementary school children were killed with dynamite. We didn't outlaw dynamite.

Also, don't forget the twenty children that died needlessly in the Waco Massacre in 1993, because of Janet Reno's incompetence. They didn't die because of inadequate gun laws. They died because of an out of control federal government. Part of the trumped excuse for attacking the Waco compound was that David Koresh had a hoard of illegal guns. Ironic isn't it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
CJ7
Valued Poster

theres not a solution

the best prevention is educating the people to be aware of potential threats and report them to the police before the situation escalates ... police should make investigating cases of this nature their #1 priority, and not shrug it off simply because the person of interest hasnt broken any laws YET.

the situation in Oklahoma was stopped because classmates went to the police before anything tragic took place ..
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

I agree JB.

My comments are not solutions, but steps toward lower levels of violence (hopefully).

3 of the worse school mass murders in modern world history occurred in Germany. A country that has extreme gun control laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
There is no solution. To say that there is a solution is to say that the problem can be solved. It never will be. We can try to improve security in our schools. We can try to be more vigilant in looking for warning signs of mental illness that might lead to murder. But in the end, this sort of thing will happen again; there is no way to prevent it.

The worst mass murder in an elementary school in American history happened in 1927. Thirty eight elementary school children were killed with dynamite. We didn't outlaw dynamite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster
Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
guest010313
Account Disabled

User ID: 48112
My ECCIE Reviews

I'm glad at least one person realizes that it is the mental health issues that we need to address.
guest010313 is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Fancyinheels
Retired Irish Tart

User ID: 3552
Location: Secluded in the deep, dark, spooky woods at the Irish Chihuahua Refuge.
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
I wouldn't ban them; but instead of beating up on gun owners and gun right advocates, politicians, news outlets, and the left should start laying blame on Hollywood, the media, and distributors/producers of violent video games and other violent laden entertainment.

Poor parenting is the big culprit in my opinion. Too many broken homes with single parents who are ill-equipped to properly raise children. Help them by using the presidential bully pulpit against the producers of violent trash !
I call bulltwinkie. I watched people get blown up in action movies, shot in combat/western/mob movies, eaten by aliens and stomped by dino-creatures in sci fi, sucked dry by Dracula and his relatives and cut to ribbons by Freddy Kreuger in horror, and I didn't turn into a serial killer. (That vampire thing may have had some influence, however.) Tons of kids grow up watching violent TV and playing shoot-em-up games and are just fine. We're talking about a few people out of MILLIONS.

At least slow them down. NOBODY needs an assault rifle to hunt Bambi or defend your home from invading zombies. Only police and military should have them. And there are plenty of single parents out there who are doing a great job, so don't demonize them. Two parents who fight and curse each other 99% of the time but stay in a loveless, acidic marriage "for the kids" can leave much worse and longer-lasting damage.

I also think we need to place more emphasis on treating mental illness in this country and recognizing the symptoms, not ignoring them or patting someone on the back and saying, "There, there, you'll get over it."
Fancyinheels is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

You may think you tried your best but do you really think that there is one simple answer to everything? You use some loaded words "real" and "mass". To me the use of the word "real" means that there is one final solution and we just have to gird our loins and do it. Why not ask about general violence instead of mass shootings. What consitutes a mass shooting? Two dead, three dead, four dead? What about the wounded? If no one died but many were shot is that a mass shooting.

I won't participate in your poll but I will (once again) tell you some of my ideas and there is no guarantee that any single one of them would stop this. After all, mass killings and attacks go back thousands of years in human history. For the record the worst school murder incident was in 1927 and involved dynamite. Look up Bath, Michigan massacre.

Grabbing guns has never been the answer, nor is grabbing magazines or bullets. The hardest row to hoe is societal values, That will not be fixed overnight. We don't even have the people in the classrooms qualified to teach decent values. We have to teach those people in order to have the people to do the job in 20-30 years. We could ban certain video games, movies, songs, books, or art but we know that is not going to happen. Parents could become more involved with their children when they play their games and divide into their peer groups but that is hard work.

I would call for having some armed, trained adults at our schools with written authorization to use lethal force. That is what we are used to; a quick fix.

Are we willing to put people away who may be a decent well adjusted person 95% of the time but are capable, and likely, to use massive violence 5% of the time? Will we violate their rights to protect ours?
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #13
jmcqd
Valued Poster

Encounters: 36

I agree with the above...better trained armed personnel and education on mental health is needed. Unfortunately, how many times does a person just snap, with no signs of a problem. If it's going to happen, it will. I don't understand the over reaction to firearms either...it is not the firearm that kills...it is the person pulling the trigger. Banning and lawsuits only hurt the majority of decent law abiding people and companies; not the criminals or those that go off the deep end. Besides, how can you blame a car for killing somebody during a crash when the driver was drunk or high?
jmcqd is offline   Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
markroxny
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Are we willing to put people away who may be a decent well adjusted person 95% of the time but are capable, and likely, to use massive violence 5% of the time? Will we violate their rights to protect ours?
I throw that question back at you jd. What about this young man who did this? He was a "decent" 95% of the time.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
CJ7
Valued Poster

10 ' chain link fences shrouded in razor wire top to bottom, guard towers on all 4 corners, cameras positoined to monitor every square inch of the grounds, inside and out, armed guards/metal detectors at a one way in and one way out gated hallway ..

sigh~

class begins at 8:15am ..

http://www.appalshop.org/h2h/film/im...er%20image.jpg
CJ7 is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women