Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
test
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 395
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70762
biomed163017
Yssup Rider60660
gman4453276
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48590
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42295
CryptKicker37204
The_Waco_Kid36734
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 02-21-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
runswithscissors
Account Disabled

Encounters: 21
Default would you like to see the olympics in austin in 2024?

I am working in San Francisco this week, and several people asked me if Austin had a chance at getting the Olympics, which I saw on the local news here.

I thought of town lake for the rowing events, and the UT swim center, and several others areas already in existance that didn't have to be built...

Would it be good or bad for Austin?

What about traffic? Would we get new roads or expanded roads that we desperately need?

Would you go? For many, it would be a once in a lifetime chance?

Think Austin could handle it?
runswithscissors is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
GoForWillard
Valued Poster

Encounters: 14

It would interesting to say the least. I know it would stimulate our local economy for several years. General construction and road/bridge construction would accelerate beyond anything we have ever seen in this state. Many will get rich. Many more will get royally fucked.

I think all this will undoubtedly move north into our dear Wilco and screw up our ivory glass tower that we like to look down on everyone.

I see more international flavor options in the local hobby market and prices higher than eagle pussy! But, more poles.....more pole vaulting.
GoForWillard is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
FWR
Valued Poster

Encounters: 56

The city would go into debt selling bonds to build the structures needed, stadiums, housing, etc. We would still be paying it off 30 years after the games were gone. ie Montreal just finished paying off the 1976 games. Our traffic is horrible already, it would be pure standstill. If they thought the 1996 games were hot in Hotlanta, Austin in August would be the 13th level of hell for most of the athletes. Do you want to run 26.2 miles in 105 degrees?
FWR is offline   Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
fun2come
You'll Love My Nuts!

Encounters: 118

[QUOTE] would you like to see the olympics in austin in 2024? [\QUOTE]
I will on my TV set or whatever we have by then assuming I am still alive.

Oh you mean Austin hosting the Olympics?
I have lived in a city once during the Olympic phase, and I do NOT see that Austin is in a position to host such an event. BUT, they certainly could convert the F1 track into some sort of Olympic park by then, But to widen Town Lake to accommodate rowing is not going to happen. Hmmm, I think I am going to move...
fun2come is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Poet Laureate
Valued Poster

Encounters: 24

No way Austin gets an Olympics. Not enough international support, not enough flavor, not enough reputation among the elite. In Texas, Dallas would have a better chance, Houston not so much. Austin getting the Olympics is just not going to happen.
Poet Laureate is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
RALPHEY BOY
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

no and hell NO!!! no freaking way!! would be impossible to get around town, plus to fuking hot!!!

Texas in August is miserable!!
RALPHEY BOY is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
MONTANA25
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 7

Too hot, not enough infrastructure, horrible traffic and minimal public and mass transportation system. Dallas has much better chance!
MONTANA25 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
unagi
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

From what I understand, hosting the Olympics is usually a sucker bet.
unagi is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet Laureate View Post
No way Austin gets an Olympics. Not enough international support, not enough flavor, not enough reputation among the elite. In Texas, Dallas would have a better chance, Houston not so much. Austin getting the Olympics is just not going to happen.
Agreed. Not going to happen. Too many negative factors in Austin. The F1 race taxed our facilities to the max.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
nativetexan2708
Valued Poster

Encounters: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by unagi View Post
From what I understand, hosting the Olympics is usually a sucker bet.
Yep, I think it is too. Which is precisely why the goofy ass city council here will probably be all for it. I don't see any way it happens though. Way to hot and Austin just doesn't have the roads for it. If it does happen, I can promise you that I'll rent out my house for an obscene amount of money and get outta dodge until all the damn people leave.
nativetexan2708 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
GneissGuy
Thank God it's Firday!

Encounters: 12

Good God, NO!

Can you imagine how much money our moronic local government could waste, how much debt they'd run up, how many moronic ideas they'd use the Olympics to justify, etc.?

"For the next 3 months, in preparation for the Olympics, private vehicles will be banned within 15 miles of downtown and only tandem bicycles and solar powered buses will be allowed on the surface streets within 5 miles of downtown. The city council also announced another $5 billion dollars in bonds were sold to finance the next 2 miles of the Leslie Cochran memorial Olympic underground commuter canal. Meat products will no longer be allowed, and only free-range vegetable products will be allowed to be served in restaurants."
GneissGuy is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
runswithscissors
Account Disabled

Encounters: 21

Almost all of the responses are in line with what I said to everyone here in San Francisco; what has always bothered me the most is the obscene amount of money needed to host such an event...

I am heavily involved in charity work here in San Francisco and Austin, and I am reminded of stories out of almost all hosting cities that bulldoze shanty towns and bus away the homeless and hide thier social problems while spending billions on an event to glorify a few weeks of being in the international spotlight....

It will be interesting to watch how the Austin City Council go forward with a response...
runswithscissors is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #13
chefnerd
Just a ROFF with CRSS

Encounters: 7

I have only been in the area for a few years, but IMHO, Austin does not have the infrastructure or the various types of venues to hold such an event. I spent most of my life in SOCAL and yes that includes the 1984 Olympics held there, which had the events spread over much of the area including down into Orange County. The difference is that SOCAL, being much larger, had the infrastructure and several dozen alternate sites to host events that Austin does not have. Also, even though in many cases they also have a much larger case of "you can't get there from here in any reasonably time frame", they were also far more adept at handling the added traffic. Also, they did not have to build any additional facilities. From what I can see Austin would have a tremendous amount of work to be done.
chefnerd is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women