Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70703
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41461
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
SEE3772
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7
Default Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 (This New Law Will Ensure You Pay More For Online Purchases...)

In another brilliant move aimed at destroying the few table scraps of economic freedom which remain in the Land of the Free, a bipartisan group of esteemed lawmakers in the United States Congress has introduced the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013.

Remember the golden rule of legislation: the more noble the name of the law sounds, the more disastrous its results. This one is no exception.

Generally speaking in the United States, retailers must collect state and local sales tax at the point of sale. When you walk into a Main Street shop in Anytown, California, you’ll pay the sticker price PLUS hefty city and state sales taxes that can easily be 10% or more.

But if you purchase goods through the mail from a company in, say, Nevada or Oregon, either through the mail or online, no sales tax is charged. This goes back to a 20+ year old US Supreme Court decision which exempted out of state companies from collecting sales tax.

Well, according to the intellectual luminaries in Congress, local retailers are at a disadvantage, effectively having to charge 10%+ more for their products than an out-of-state retailer.

And by God, they’re going to do something about it. After all, it’s just not ‘fair’ that mom and pop retailers on main street have to charge sales tax, while mom and pop retailers on the Internet do not.

The Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 aims to level the playing field by requiring online retailers to collect some sort of sales tax from their customers. Needless to say, if the bill is passed, it will be the customer who ends up paying the price.

The thinking on this is completely absurd.

One of the primary reasons people shop online is because online retailers have reduced overhead costs, and these cost savings are passed along to consumers in the form of lower prices.

So if the idea is to ensure that brick and mortar retailers don’t suffer any competitive price disadvantage, why not just regulate prices altogether? Or even better, why not just abolish sales taxes altogether?

That’s because this bill has absolutely nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with the government taking more of your money. This bill constitutes STEP 1 on the road to a national sales tax, which, given the state of national and state balance sheets, is a financial inevitability.

It’s the most insidious form of deceit– creating new taxes masquerading as ‘fairness’. It’s a total fraud, brought to you by the same people who tell us that there is no inflation, and that we must sexually assault airline passengers in order to protect ourselves from men in caves.

Have you hit your breaking point yet?

Source: Sovereign Man Blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ5fOsyj-bk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D cJ5fOsyj-bk
SEE3772 is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Randy4Candy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

Your argument contradicts itself. Get out your Google or Bing machine and search for "tax nexus" which was, by the way, the brainchild of western, conservative states such as Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc. who were losing sales tax revenue dollars due to relatively close proximity to California, primarily as a way to "level the field," similar to what the linked article says. I guess that since it was an idea originally implemented by states, it's OK and the Feds trying to make it more uniform is bad, eh? Businesses have been dealing with this for over 15 years but no one has started whining about that. How would you feel about a FEDERAL sales tax on such transactions instead of state and local? BTW, sales taxes are generally, though not always, based on where possession of goods or taxable services takes place. Texas is different in that as they allow sales tax to be collected at the point of sale for items being shipped or delivered. It's a convenience thing for the businesses who have to collect the sales tax. Please bring a game named after one of the first couple of letters in the alphabet next time.
Randy4Candy is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy4Candy View Post
Your argument contradicts itself. Get out your Google or Bing machine and search for "tax nexus" which was, by the way, the brainchild of western, conservative states such as Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc. who were losing sales tax revenue dollars due to relatively close proximity to California, primarily as a way to "level the field," similar to what the linked article says. I guess that since it was an idea originally implemented by states, it's OK and the Feds trying to make it more uniform is bad, eh? Businesses have been dealing with this for over 15 years but no one has started whining about that. How would you feel about a FEDERAL sales tax on such transactions instead of state and local? BTW, sales taxes are generally, though not always, based on where possession of goods or taxable services takes place. Texas is different in that as they allow sales tax to be collected at the point of sale for items being shipped or delivered. It's a convenience thing for the businesses who have to collect the sales tax. Please bring a game named after one of the first couple of letters in the alphabet next time.
I don't see a connection to western conservative states, such as Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Can you post a link?

Here's a link:

http://www.aicpa.org/publications/ta...april2012.aspx

Per this article, NY started it off in 2008 going after Amazon. Next came Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Illinois, New York, North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

The article mentions that Colorado and Oklahoma tried "different approaches" than the Amazon laws of NY, but it isn't real clear how different.

Nonetheless, the only "western" state I see on that list - other than liberal California - is Colorado. And Colorado is generally regarded as a purple state - neither red nor blue.

So, where do you get the idea that the "tax nexus" attempt at grabbing sales tax started as a conservative, western state idea?
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Amazon charges sales tax for Texas now, but that's not because of the Fed's doing, but the state. Makes me sad still
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Randy4Candy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 11

ExNYer, I'm not posting a link because I don't want to spend the time looking for one. I'm speaking from over 30 years' exprerience in costing, pricing, selling and then shipping industrial construction products all over the US and overseas. Trust me, sales tax implications matter in this. The big push in the late 90s for nexus all came, at least in this part of the country, from the western states I named. This is just information and background. Do with it what you like since your opinion has no bearing on the facts. Nevada was the most extreme in enforcement because of the gigantic boom from the late 90s to 2008. Almost all of the manufacturers I deal with become all pissy and by the book when they see a Nevada destination. Some of them had been sued by Nevada and lost, thus having had to cough up some back sales taxes that were not collected plus penalties and interest. And, yes, the Feds were helping them out with this. I hope Nevada hung onto some of that revenue, it looks like they needed it.
Randy4Candy is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women