Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70690
biomed162390
Yssup Rider60229
gman4453217
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48396
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41270
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35685
Mojojo33117

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default An Object Lesson on How to Conduct a Political Debate in a Civil Manner

...and a few of you may be very surprised to find out who delivered it!

Background:

Some months earlier, the OP started a thread on the same topic. Unfortunately, it didn't take long to take a drastic southward turn, and the insults started flowing like beer at a frat house keg party.

So he decided to try again, this time promising to refrain from insult-hurling if others agreed to follow suit. He and I discussed the issue, which is one that many people have been curious about for the last decade, in some detail. And a state of civility was maintained throughout the thread (at least on the part of the two primary participants -- a couple of bystanders tossed in the occasional snide remark).

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=964762

That's how it should be done, folks!

Serious question:

Why can't more people discuss topical issues in a reasoned and civil fashion?

I realize that a lot of people won't give a rat's ass, or might even attack me for posting this. After all, a lot of people are simply here for the trolling.

But people unfamiliar with this forum might check in for the first time and see what a cesspool the place sometimes looks like, and not come back. Anyone with me on this, or am I simply tilting at windmills?

In any case, I respectfully request that the insult-hurlers just walk on by and pollute some other thread, as I wish to ask a serious question here.

Thanks!
Texas Contrarian is online now   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
boardman
Making Pussy Great Again

Encounters: 26

It's all some people have.
boardman is online now   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

The only way we could have a Civil conversation around here would be by either government intervention (Read strong hand moderation) or free market incentives. I just do not see a way to commoditize civil discussion on here and do not want strong handed moderation.

WTF is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #4
boardman
Making Pussy Great Again

Encounters: 26

Anarchy Rules!!!
boardman is online now   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

The linked discussion suggests that the maintenance of civility within a thread can occur without heavy-handed moderation if the OP implores others to try to act in a civil manner within that specific thread. But maybe it was just an accident that a degree of civility was maintained in this case.

I'm all for a spirited debate, and strongly-worded arguments obviously have their place. But when nonstop, over-the-top insults crowd out everything else, nobody learns anything. Of course, a lot of people have closed minds and aren't interested in learning anything, but I think it's beyond sad for someone not to have a curious mind and consider himself a lifelong student.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
SEE3772
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

I hate social media!
Only 10 or 15 minutes a day.
No time for debate!
There's the info!
Do what you want with it!
I'm 41 and trying to enjoy my life in a not so perfect world!
Post and logout 99% of the time...
I prefer to be outdoors enjoying the fruits of my past labor!
That's what south west florida is all about!
Like my Interests...
Financial Markets, Geopolitics, Biking, Kayaking, Swimming, Ducati, Sailboats, Powerboats, Guaro & Extravaganza!
SEE3772 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

LMAO !!!
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Many people believe that when you disagree with their ideas, point of view, and political favorites, you are attacking them personally.

For instance, I believe that President Obama is a smarmy little Demagogue who used his communication skills, (ie, the ability to read a TelePrompter), to hoodwink America into thinking he was qualified to be President. Many take this as a personal affront because they believe he can do no wrong.

I do not attack individules. But, I will attack their ideas and beliefs when I believe they are detrimental.
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post
Many people believe that when you disagree with their ideas, point of view, and political favorites, you are attacking them personally.

For instance, I believe that President Obama is a smarmy little Demagogue who used his communication skills, (ie, the ability to read a TelePrompter), to hoodwink America into thinking he was qualified to be President. Many take this as a personal affront because they believe he can do no wrong.

I do not attack individules. But, I will attack their ideas and beliefs when I believe they are detrimental.
Yes, your impersonal attack on President Obama in this very post stands as a shining example to all of us. Thank you.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
Guest051115
Account Disabled

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie S View Post

I just love coded language. Why don't you stop hiding behind your sheets. Take them off of your head it's 2014
Guest051115 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Mr MojoRisin
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar789 View Post
I just love coded language. Why don't you stop hiding behind your sheets. Take them off of your head it's 2014
Oh now he's a racist? He said he's inclined to attack a persons view point not the person. There is a difference.

Jim
Mr MojoRisin is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Jackie S
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Calling President Obama a smarmy little Demagogue is Racist??

I sure am glad I didn't say something about the Left's other deity, that lying, phony bitch, Mrs Bill Clinton.
Jackie S is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
IIFFOFRDB
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzibar789 View Post
You didn't even wish us a Happy White History Month... that's just rude!
IIFFOFRDB is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #14
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Come on, Zanzibar.

Liberals should know by now that they rarely acquit themselves well when they suggest that people who lambaste Obama do so out of racial animus, when no ugly epithets or other statements manifesting racism are present.

It seems to me that Jackie skewers Hillary with equal frequency and fervor.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #15
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Isn't Hillary a swarmy little demagogue as well? I never noticed that she was black.

Anyway...critical debate is not something that most of these people are good at. Take a look at the first few posts. Some people take delight in proving that they are assholes. As for the racism, most of the ones making the charge are guilty of the charge. Taking someone down because of race is just the same as defending someone because of race. We've had a few confessions that some people refuse to criticize Obama just because of his race. Like I said, racism.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women