Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37176
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Barack Obama To Shut Down Southern Air Defense Systems

What is the President up to now? He's shutting down our Southern Air Defense, and turning the radar inward? On Americans?

This guy is seriously dangerous. Why would he need to keep track of Americans more than potential threats from the outside? Why would he leave a door wide open for terrorists and others?

Here's the article:

As the U.S. government continues to expand surveillance and monitoring systems to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars within the borders of the United States, a recent announcement regarding the country’s southern air defense systems is raising eyebrows.
Our southern border is, in part, protected by the Tethered Aerostat Radar System (TARS), which utilizes moored balloons hovering at about 15,000 feet to identify low flying aircraft and missiles that may penetrate the border and cross into U.S. airspace.

The system is utilized by the U.S. Air Force, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for a number of missions including detection of drug smuggling and preservation of the air sovereignty of the continental United States.

According to Exelis Systems Corporation, the company that built and jointly maintains TARS with the U.S. Air Force, the government has ordered a complete shutdown of Aerostat flight operations:

The government also indicated its intent that aerostat flight operations will cease on March 15, 2013, and that the remainder of the fiscal year will be used to deflate aerostats, disposition equipment, and prepare sites for permanent closure. We are currently reviewing all the details of the RfP and evaluating the possible impacts on the program and our workforce. We continue to communicate with the government on this matter, and we will have more information in the coming days and weeks.

An Exelis employee close to the TARS project had this to say about the closure of the sites:

“Not only will this closure mean hundreds of people will be out of jobs, but it also means our borders will not be safe, especially along the remote U.S. Mexico Border like in Texas.

These defense radars detect low flying aircraft infiltrating our borders.
Without these defense radars, low flying aircraft will go undetected.

It will be open season for any drug/gun/slave smugglers, terrorists flying in with nukes, low altitude missiles, or even a full scale low elevation invasion/attack against America.

With China actively and openly deploying Russian-made low altitude strategic bombers, designing EMP weapons capable of disabling the country’s power grid infrastructure, and establishing economic zones within the United States, it’s difficult to imagine the motivation behind the move to further weaken U.S. air defenses on the southern border.

If September 11, 2001 was any indication of our air defense capabilities, and considering that any ground invasion of the United States would originate on our southern border, then wouldn’t we want as many early warning systems as possible to be actively protecting our country in these specific areas?

The U.S. government has chosen to shutdown this outward facing surveillance system, and has instead turned the surveillance inward, on the American people.

Read more at http://marketdailynews.com/2013/01/2...miGFHFd107b.99
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

It's a big mistake to elect someone president that hates the country. Obama is running this country the way Bill Ayers would run it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnlRrxXv-v8
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Laz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

I have to wonder what we don't know. If he is shutting it down with no alternative I would be concerned. However, if he is implementing something better that might be classified it is not necessarily a bad thing. How do we know? Sadly we must trust Congress to raise a stink if the national defense is being compromised. Some of them have to be in the loop on this and not all of them are democrats.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:32 AM   #4
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

StupidOldLyingFart, don't look now but Obama will be be in office for four more years!

Eat your heart out LOSER!

(That goes for you too, Joe the Bloehard!)
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Blond devotion to a person that will one day come for some of, or all of, your rights.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2Dogs View Post
Blond devotion
You got that right 2Pups. We finally have something we can both agree upon.

Indeed, my ATF is a sexy "blonde."
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
What is the President up to now? He's shutting down our Southern Air Defense, and turning the radar inward? On Americans?

This guy is seriously dangerous. Why would he need to keep track of Americans more than potential threats from the outside? Why would he leave a door wide open for terrorists and others?

Here's the article:

As the U.S. government continues to expand surveillance and monitoring systems to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars within the borders of the United States, a recent announcement regarding the country’s southern air defense systems is raising eyebrows.
Our southern border is, in part, protected by the Tethered Aerostat Radar System (TARS), which utilizes moored balloons hovering at about 15,000 feet to identify low flying aircraft and missiles that may penetrate the border and cross into U.S. airspace.

The system is utilized by the U.S. Air Force, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), and U.S. Customs and Border Protection for a number of missions including detection of drug smuggling and preservation of the air sovereignty of the continental United States.

According to Exelis Systems Corporation, the company that built and jointly maintains TARS with the U.S. Air Force, the government has ordered a complete shutdown of Aerostat flight operations:

The government also indicated its intent that aerostat flight operations will cease on March 15, 2013, and that the remainder of the fiscal year will be used to deflate aerostats, disposition equipment, and prepare sites for permanent closure. We are currently reviewing all the details of the RfP and evaluating the possible impacts on the program and our workforce. We continue to communicate with the government on this matter, and we will have more information in the coming days and weeks.

An Exelis employee close to the TARS project had this to say about the closure of the sites:

“Not only will this closure mean hundreds of people will be out of jobs, but it also means our borders will not be safe, especially along the remote U.S. Mexico Border like in Texas.

These defense radars detect low flying aircraft infiltrating our borders.
Without these defense radars, low flying aircraft will go undetected.

It will be open season for any drug/gun/slave smugglers, terrorists flying in with nukes, low altitude missiles, or even a full scale low elevation invasion/attack against America.

With China actively and openly deploying Russian-made low altitude strategic bombers, designing EMP weapons capable of disabling the country’s power grid infrastructure, and establishing economic zones within the United States, it’s difficult to imagine the motivation behind the move to further weaken U.S. air defenses on the southern border.

If September 11, 2001 was any indication of our air defense capabilities, and considering that any ground invasion of the United States would originate on our southern border, then wouldn’t we want as many early warning systems as possible to be actively protecting our country in these specific areas?

The U.S. government has chosen to shutdown this outward facing surveillance system, and has instead turned the surveillance inward, on the American people.

Read more at http://marketdailynews.com/2013/01/2...miGFHFd107b.99

Maybe you should ask yourself if they stop using one thing what do they have now that is better. I did that when they quit using the SR71.
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'va biggen View Post
Maybe you should ask yourself if they stop using one thing what do they have now that is better. I did that when they quit using the SR71.
The SR-71 was retired twice. It sat in mothballs for a few years the first time, and then a small project brought them back into service for a while. The USAF crew chief had some pointed things to say about the restart: Lockheed-Martin apparently made some MAJOR management blunders.

It is not at all clear that something being retired is being replaced by something better. As an obvious example, consider the F-14. The Navy lost a BUNCH of capability when the Tomcat was retired: the F/A-18 has less than half the combat radius.

And note that we STILL don't know why the BATF gave all those guns to the Mexican drug lords.
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

I think a satellite doing surveillance is better than radar hanging from balloons. Hell you can google your home.
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Why is he turning the radar inward, instead of outward, oh dumbest-of-all posters, Eva?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Laz
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Why is he turning the radar inward, instead of outward, oh dumbest-of-all posters, Eva?
According to the article he is shutting the systems down. If that is the case he is not pointing them in a different direction. The last line about surveillance on the US is curious since it seems inaccurate regarding these systems and aimed only to incite people.

As for satellite surveillance I am not sure that it is as good as land based systems for everything.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

I hope you're right, Laz, but that would be inconsistent with the direction this President is taking the country. I hope for more information soon. But to discount the idea that this President would opt out of a way to further spy on the American people simply ignores his history.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Laz
Valued Poster

I agree that this president sucks and his policies, with a very few exceptions, are horrible. I am just pointing out that this article sounds like a contractor trying to save his government income stream. Way to much information is unknown to make any valid conclusions.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Then let the government come out and explain themselves. It's their duty to keep us informed. However, they keep too many secrets, and do a lot of things without explanation. There can be only one answer why they operate this way. They don't want us to know.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Laz
Valued Poster

There are good reasons for military secrets to exist. The less the enemy knows the better so I do not expect them to explain everything to the public. However, there is congressional oversight of the military and I do expect them to review this to make sure it is a good decision.

In reality I suspect that this was a decision made by the military and presented to congress and the white house for approval and they probably signed off on it based on the military recommendations. I don't know that as a fact but the government bureaucracy is simply to large for any one person to know everything about.

Now when this is applied to non security issues I want FULL disclosure since light makes the rats hide.
Laz is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women