Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 260
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162316
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453215
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41213
CryptKicker37176
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 03-26-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
UnderConstruction
Valued Poster

Encounters: 17
Default Obama talks 'The Wire' and crime in this short interview of David Simon

Very interesting. I'm sure those who hate Obama won't be able to see through their rage, but for the rest of us, it's a fascinating 12 minutes on the state of crime in america and what we can do about it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/26/82...-interview-hbo
UnderConstruction is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Mr MojoRisin
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

What did you get out of this video?

Jim
Mr MojoRisin is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
UnderConstruction
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin View Post
What did you get out of this video?

Jim
Firstly, I'm a huge fan of The Wire, so there's that aspect of it. I like David Simon's writing and I think that he has specific insight in the area of crime in this country, having covered it for years at the ground level as he did. It's also interesting to me, regardless of political party, to see the human aspect of a President. I think they also hit on a lot of key points in how we police the drug war in particular and how it isn't really effective and maybe we should consider changing it up. Like he said, it's draconian AND it doesn't work. If it worked, maybe we could have a discussion, but it doesn't.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
Mr MojoRisin
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderConstruction View Post
Firstly, I'm a huge fan of The Wire, so there's that aspect of it. I like David Simon's writing and I think that he has specific insight in the area of crime in this country, having covered it for years at the ground level as he did. It's also interesting to me, regardless of political party, to see the human aspect of a President. I think they also hit on a lot of key points in how we police the drug war in particular and how it isn't really effective and maybe we should consider changing it up. Like he said, it's draconian AND it doesn't work. If it worked, maybe we could have a discussion, but it doesn't.
I am not familiar with the Wire. Their discussion revolved around a long standing concern of crime in this country particularly drug offenders and the high rate of recidivism. The criminal justice system is comprised of three parts. The police, who investigate crime and arrest the offenders. The courts who convict and hand down sentences, and corrections who house prisoners in jails and state penitentiaries. After a person has served his time he is released only to repeat another criminal offense and enter the system again. We have fallen short by not having an adequate rehabilitation program in place to give an offender the necessary skills to be productive to enter society again. Even Obama mentioned after a lengthy sentence offenders are unemployable after their release. They are unemployable because during their sentence they are just housed. Three hots and a cot. The prison system has become a microcosms apart from the outside world. Instead of being encourage and aided to live a life free of crime, prisoners end up becoming better criminals and the cycle repeats itself.

Jim
Mr MojoRisin is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
UnderConstruction
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin View Post
I am not familiar with the Wire. Their discussion revolved around a long standing concern of crime in this country particularly drug offenders and the high rate of recidivism. The criminal justice system is comprised of three parts. The police, who investigate crime and arrest the offenders. The courts who convict and hand down sentences, and corrections who house prisoners in jails and state penitentiaries. After a person has served his time he is released only to repeat another criminal offense and enter the system again. We have fallen short by not having an adequate rehabilitation program in place to give an offender the necessary skills to be productive to enter society again. Even Obama mentioned after a lengthy sentence offenders are unemployable after their release. They are unemployable because during their sentence they are just housed. Three hots and a cot. The prison system has become a microcosms apart from the outside world. Instead of being encourage and aided to live a life free of crime, prisoners end up becoming better criminals and the cycle repeats itself.

Jim
Wow. We actually agree. We do very little to help turn these people back into productive members of society. Especially the non-violent offenders who most likely weren't hardened criminals when they went in, but after a lengthy sentence, they are indoctrinated and it's hard to break that cycle. And it effects the family structure, the community, etc. And Obama was right. In the inner city, if the opportunities are not there, kids are going to do what they have to do in order to make it. I think it starts with changing the way with deal with non-violent drug arrests. By and large, those are the ones that catch people who are not really hardened criminals but they become that way in prison because of lengthy sentences. And I thought Obama showed respect for the job that police officers have by acknowledging the difficulties they face in dealing with the problem as well.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #6
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderConstruction View Post
Wow. We actually agree. We do very little to help turn these people back into productive members of society. Especially the non-violent offenders who most likely weren't hardened criminals when they went in, but after a lengthy sentence, they are indoctrinated and it's hard to break that cycle. And it effects the family structure, the community, etc. And Obama was right. In the inner city, if the opportunities are not there, kids are going to do what they have to do in order to make it. I think it starts with changing the way with deal with non-violent drug arrests. By and large, those are the ones that catch people who are not really hardened criminals but they become that way in prison because of lengthy sentences. And I thought Obama showed respect for the job that police officers have by acknowledging the difficulties they face in dealing with the problem as well.
I wonder how many prisons and/or jail facilities Obama has actually visited in which he interacts and talks to prisoners who weren't handpicked and supervised when talking to him (if he actually talked to them at all). It is my understanding he never represented any!

Most prison systems have educational opportunities and job skill training, not to mention counseling of all kinds. There are time and monetary advantages for the prisoners to participate in the programs. When they are released and remain under supervision there are resources available to them through their supervising personnel. Sure it's tough to get a job with a prison record, and sometimes with a jail record. That's one of the reasons people should "THINK" before they do shit that gets them a trip to prison.

Except for higher violent crimes, most first offenders get probation with supervision, deferred adjudication with supervision, and even "pre-trial diversion" with supervision with expunction of the "record" available to them if they DO WHAT THEY ARE ORDERED TO DO.

By the time someone goes to prison he or she has had one or more prior opportunities to make changes in their lives and head in a different direction. And didn't change.

Don't blame it on the system. The system itself rejects the notion of "REHAB"!

BTW: If you want to provide college education and/or tech training for prisoners, with all the entertainment everyone out on the street gets, then pay for it with taxpayers' money, and remember you are making going to prison attractive and profitable for folks.

Going to prison is punishment. All this rehab bullshit is LIBERAL double-talk, trying to make themselves "feel better" about warehousing undesirables, who were not raised with the notion that there are rules by which we must live or SUFFER the CONSEQUENCES. Does Michael Brown come to mind?
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

I am a fan of the "broken window" solution....in essence, deal with the small stuff first before it becomes a bigger problem. Ignoring victimless crimes that degrade neighborhoods isn't what the people want and only leads to more bad actors, deteriorating neighborhoods, and higher and more violent crime rates.

I don't see where Obama provides any solutions. But he sure is great at casting stones.

I think it is hysterically funny that the "smartest guy to occupy the White House" (cue laugh track) has to use pop culture fiction to make his points. Only a dumbed down Gruber would think this video interview is a serious discussion on crime, incarceration and our urban neighborhoods.

Obama is a poser. But his unchecked power as president are doing great damage to America.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women