Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70708
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60367
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48437
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41514
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35879
Mojojo33117

Old 06-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Sexyeccentric1
Account Disabled

User ID: 126013
Default Do you think intelligence tests are accurate?

So I have a nephew who has always seemed incredibly smart and although his test scores in school were low (such as reading and math), he still seemed to be smarter than the average kid his age. In fact there seemed to be something off concerning his school grades and his actual intelligence.

He was finally tested with some type of Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale and and a cognitive test and it showed an overall score of 81 normal to dull intelligence, in fact leaning toward below average intelligence and to me this didn't make sense.

If you met him and talked to him his vocabulary is extensive and he seems to be of above average intelligence, and a good problem solver.

The only think I can think of is a learning disability?

Are these intelligence tests accurate? How much weight should be put into such testing?

Would love some thoughts.

I am trying to encourage him to go to college. I told him the testing was wrong and something has to be off.

Has anyone of you taken any type of IQ type test? If so have you found them to be unreliable?
Sexyeccentric1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
joe bloe
Valued Poster

There are lots of different kinds of intelligence tests. The Wechsler is one of several kinds of IQ tests. The most commonly used is the Stanford-Benet. IQ tests were created as a way of screening troups in WWI. The military needed a quick way to determine which recruits were suitable which jobs. For most people the IQ test is a reliable measure of ability to learn, but they are not perfect. Some very gifted people don't score particularly well on IQ tests and some people who score at genius level never amount to anything.

My advice to get additional testing from a psychologist. From what you're saying it's unlikely that 81 is a fair measure of his intelligence. My guess is that there may be some sort of learning dissability.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Some people just don't do well on tests, particularly timed tests or those that are considered "important", it may be a stress reflex more than anything else.

If that is the case, sending him to college would likely be the worst thing to do. Not everyone is cut out to be a student and test taking ability trumps intelligence in academia. I tried to talk my son into a trade school instead but now he's stuck with huge college loans, still needing more classes to get a degree that will be essentially worthless in the real world. His sister, always did great on taking tests, got her masters and a hell of a career started, though I think both are very bright, just in different ways. No two are the same.

If your nephew really is a problem solver, he may be happier in a practical field like auto mechanic or plumber. Maybe even in the arts (maybe he is right brain dominant). At the end of the day he'd make good money and only deal with the kind of shit that could be easily washed off.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

true I have a stepdaughter who broke out in hives every time a test came up,was a bright girl,but tested poorly.
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
trynagetlaid
Valued Poster

Have him take this quick test:

http://www.mensa.org/workout

That should give you some idea where he stands against the general population as far as intelligence level.

But by all means no IQ test can predict success in school or life. Encourage and help him to pursue his dreams. Hard work and persistence are more important than innate intelligence in determining success with whatever a person tries to do.

He might have average or even below-average intelligence, and still be the scientist who finds the cure for cancer!!!
trynagetlaid is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

I did far better on tests than long term retention. Did most studying last minute, then made it a point to always finish first, usually had one other guy or gal in the class to compete with. That forced me to not second guess and stress out.

And I did very well in school. Though I only remember a small fraction of what I studied.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
Sexyeccentric1
Account Disabled

User ID: 126013

Hmmm.. well honestly he is very good when it comes to dealing with people and is incredibly personable. He is very good with his hands so yes maybe some type of job that allows him to create / make things. His vocabulary sometimes blows me away, especially with how much he knows. But he did struggle with reading and writing, math, so on.

I always joke about him being a Mr. Fix it because he likes to help people with unusual problems. Like the time my next door neighbor was complaining about having to clean the damn cat pan so often, and my nephew went into his Dad's garage and built this new fangled cat pan out of wood, plastic and cardboard to help eliminate having to clean it as often and reduce cat litter tracks..I shit you not! LMAO

True story! We were all saying "you need to patent that son"! Yea, thats why I am not buying this intelligence test thing he took. Hence why I ask how accurate they are.

Edit: ...by the way he was 11 years old when he built that cat pan for the next door neighbor. I thought it was brilliant and wish I had a picture of it to show you all.
Sexyeccentric1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynagetlaid View Post

That should give you some idea where he stands against the general population as far as intelligence level.

But by all means no IQ test can predict success in school or life. Encourage and help him to pursue his dreams. Hard work and persistence are more important than innate intelligence in determining success with whatever a person tries to do.

He might have average or even below-average intelligence, and still be the scientist who finds the cure for cancer!!!

how very true

whatever the boy is really passionate about could lead him to do great things throughout his life .. IQ tests be damned
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynagetlaid View Post

The co-discoverer of the DNA code, James Watson, has a mediocre IQ of 115. Average is 100. I think genius is 150.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #10
nevergaveitathought
Valued Poster

tell me what WTF's IQ is and i will give you an answer as to the accuracy
nevergaveitathought is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought View Post
tell me what WTF's IQ is and i will give you an answer as to the accuracy
Based on the Forrest Gump standard of, stupid is as stupid does, we don't need any testing for WTF.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Who's to say what "average" is anyway?
Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #13
essence
Valued Poster

There is the old joke - the only thing about common sense is that it is not very common.

But more seriously, there is intelligence and there is fact finding.

You don;t have to look very far on these boards to find people who, superficially, seem intelligent. They give out lots of facts, they can type in reasonable English, they can argue. But slowly you realise they are as stupid as hell.

Why?

Because they can't analyse, they can't criticise, they are stuck in their self beliefs, they are unable to accept other points of view. Their brain is frozen into a caricature.

It;s as if they have learnt all their dates from the history book, but still don't have any appreciation of the world of politics and what influences it.

They can find Russia on a map, but have never read Dostoevsky.

Or they have learnt how to solder a circuit board and can pontificate about the structure of the universe, but have never got their hands dirty with quantum chromodynamics.

Or they know everything about how to improve the health care system, but have never practiced as a doctor.

Or they have been to a music academy and got their performance degree and can play their scales very fast, but could never play a Schubert piano trio.
essence is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Hey, essence, are you a doctor?
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
essence
Valued Poster

Yes and no.
essence is offline   Quote