Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > Coed Discussions - Austin
test
Coed Discussions - Austin Both male and female members can mingle and interact here. Let's keep these discussions on-topic, thought-provoking, and more importantly...entertaining!

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70696
biomed162430
Yssup Rider60254
gman4453221
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48405
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41315
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35737
Mojojo33117

Old 01-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #1
hardbod55
Registered Member

Encounters: 2
Default Question of "Race" and perception

This question is mostly for the ladies although I know some guys will chime in. I am half Trinidadian/PuertoRican. People from other countries or are well-travelled usually notice the Caribbean heritage. However, other people, particularly American view me as
strictly AA initially. Is the perception more important than the reality in judging someone merely by the color of their skin? Also do other factors play into the image? Yes, now it's two questions..
hardbod55 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
budman33
Valued Poster

Dating a Puerto Rican, it annoys her that people miscategorize her heritage but what can you do? We are surrounded by stupid people. My response to her is always, and why do you care what that person thinks?

The reality that people judge people is ... just reality.
budman33 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
ck1942
Meet & Greet Organizer

Encounters: 181

imo, the really savvy ladies are mainly interested in clients who are respectful and who meet their posted guidelines especially when it comes to screening and vouching.

Yes, there those providers who may seem rigid on age, race and other physical requirements.

But I have found that many gents who outwardly appear outside certain parameters become more definitely acceptable for the most part in "boudoir" terms following a meet and greet face to face.

ijs
ck1942 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
moonshiner
BANNED

Encounters: 2

Yay!!! Another I'm black and no one will see me thread.
Crying about it has not worked in the hundreds of preceeding threads.
Starting a thread about it never changes the perception, if anything it makes them dig their heels in deeper.
moonshiner is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Lena Duvall
Account Disabled

User ID: 244249
My ECCIE Reviews

Woo, this is a lot to touch on. Especially on this site. Anyway, race and ethnicity or nationality are not all the same. Even though many people conflate the three. I was born in the Caribbean and I identify as Black plus my nationality. When people assume I'm African American without taking the time to ask, I chalk it up to that person's lack of knowledge (i. e. ignorance). I have no problem whatsoever with claiming my blackness or my African ancestry. And also, people with African ancestry exist elsewhere in the western hemisphere. (The Caribbean as you've mentioned, as well as Central and South America, and Canada.) And of course. let's not forget about people on the African continent and elsewhere on the other side of the globe.
Lena Duvall is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
GingerLyn Harte
Tastes Like Strawberries!

User ID: 295653
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena Duvall View Post
Woo, this is a lot to touch on. Especially on this site. Anyway, race and ethnicity or nationality are not all the same. Even though many people conflate the three. I was born in the Caribbean and I identify as Black plus my nationality. When people assume I'm African American without taking the time to ask, I chalk it up to that person's lack of knowledge (i. e. ignorance). I have no problem whatsoever with claiming my blackness or my African ancestry. And also, people with African ancestry exist elsewhere in the western hemisphere. (The Caribbean as you've mentioned, as well as Central and South America, and Canada.) And of course. let's not forget about people on the African continent and elsewhere on the other side of the globe.
Very well put ms. Duvall
Skin color vs. Nationality... I must say from my stand point..its the skin color/features. I'll leave it at that for now..hoping some asshole wont pry for my personal sob story.
GingerLyn Harte is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Toyz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35

Quote:
Lena,

First I'm not responding to be combative but to offer a similar situation to see if you agree.

I am caucasian...with white skin...(i tan in the summer and go pale in the winter...I have blue eyes...

Can you tell from that outward appearance if I am...

German
Welsh
Irish
Scandinavian
Czeckoslovakian
English...

Or...would you just say "hes white"?

Its not ignorance...you just dont know because outward apperances tend to be categorized as what we know...black, white, asian, indian, bandle...etc.

Lack of knowlege based on not knowing individual history?
Yes...
Ignorance?
Not in the context of your meaning.
Toyz is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
endurance
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

Maybe not all NBA policies are created equally.

I'm not sure why I have any idea at all about this since I'm not black, but it seems from observation over the years that a provider that just briefly mentions a NBA policy probably will make exceptions if you have a mannerism more like Neil DeGrasse Tyson than a pimp/thug.

Providers/ads that go into it with details seem more likely to draw a hard line.

Edit: shoulda just wrote "what ck1942 said" - didn't see that the first time!
endurance is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Lena Duvall
Account Disabled

User ID: 244249
My ECCIE Reviews

I think you are assuming what I mean when I say ignorance... Accusations about someone being ignorant can come with many nuanced meanings. When I said "ignorance" I was speaking to the most basic definition: a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education related to a certain topic.

And I don't think you are being combative. In fact, I think your example proves my point about the distinction between race and nationality. To answer your question, I would say you are white, as opposed to making an uneducated and possibly incorrect guess that you were German or Irish...

If someone looks at me and thinks or says that I am Black, they would be correct. And that is how I identify. But my point is, if I wouldn't look at you and guess your specific nationality, what is the purpose of someone else looking at me and saying I am African American. I have a distinct nationality that corresponds to me (as well as my most recent ancestors) being born in an island-country in the Caribbean. Not all Black people who are currently in America are African American. That is the point I was getting across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz View Post
Lena,

First I'm not responding to be combative but to offer a similar situation to see if you agree.

I am caucasian...with white skin...(i tan in the summer and go pale in the winter...I have blue eyes...

Can you tell from that outward appearance if I am...

German
Welsh
Irish
Scandinavian
Czeckoslovakian
English...

Or...would you just say "hes white"?

Its not ignorance...you just dont know because outward apperances tend to be categorized as what we know...black, white, asian, indian, bandle...etc.

Lack of knowlege based on not knowing individual history?
Yes...
Ignorance?
Not in the context of your meaning.
Lena Duvall is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Toyz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35

Quote:
I think you are assuming what I mean when I say ignorance... Accusations about someone being ignorant can come with many nuanced meanings. When I said "ignorance" I was speaking to the most basic definition: a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education related to a certain topic.

And I don't think you are being combative. In fact, I think your example proves my point about the distinction between race and nationality. To answer your question, I would say you are white, as opposed to making an uneducated and possibly incorrect guess that you were German or Irish...

If someone looks at me and thinks or says that I am Black, they would be correct. And that is how I identify. But my point is, if I wouldn't look at you and guess your specific nationality, what is the purpose of someone else looking at me and saying I am African American. I have a distinct nationality that corresponds to me (as well as my most recent ancestors) being born in an island-country in the Caribbean. Not all Black people who are currently in America are African American. That is the point I was getting across.
I understood your point. And i think you understood mine. I also get the "true" definition of the word "ignorance", but in context 90% of readers will only see the negative connotation of the word.

Assumptions are made based on a persons experience. If you were in France...would most see you and assume French Black? How many would think islander based on the limited information they have...which is sight (what you look like)?

Interesting discussion...and I'm not looking to win an argument, just point out thinking points.
Toyz is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
rayg07
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbod55 View Post
This question is mostly for the ladies although I know some guys will chime in. I am half Trinidadian/PuertoRican. People from other countries or are well-travelled usually notice the Caribbean heritage. However, other people, particularly American view me as
strictly AA initially. Is the perception more important than the reality in judging someone merely by the color of their skin? Also do other factors play into the image? Yes, now it's two questions..
Hardbod the reality is that you are black and in America. The slave trade went through Puerto Rico and Trinidad so you may not be able to pass as anything other than black. Black people in this country come in all shades of color but they are still considered black. Even if your moma is white your still considered black (Barack Obama). But the point I really want you to consider is that this hobby overwhelming consists of white males. Once you understand that they are the primary customer then you can navigate through this issue. The hobby is still a microcosm of the society we live in.

With that being said some of the women who advertise not seeing blacks actually do see black men. A few times (very few) I reached out to some ladies I was really interested in seeing who have NBA policies and they did agree to see me. I personally feel the policy is mostly good advertising given the provider's target audience (but there are many more reasons for the policy). Another thing you should consider is making sure you have p411. That opens a lot of doors for black men. Also I see you are in Austin. You probably have access to a lot of providers that have no issues with us (I see quite a few there I'm interested in) . You might be missing out on something good focusing on this issue. Just remember no one cares where you're from. In America if you look black you are black. But if you choose to go in your conversation needs to be on point.
rayg07 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Ebony Jasmine Love Austin
Account Disabled

User ID: 5430
My ECCIE Reviews

All good points. Especially Toyz surprisingly.

To the OP: you're BLACK dude!
Ebony Jasmine Love Austin is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
Ebony Jasmine Love Austin
Account Disabled

User ID: 5430
My ECCIE Reviews

Why do you guys care or patronize women with a NBA policy?
Why do you guys not care to be perceived as not black?

Sad.
Ebony Jasmine Love Austin is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
rayg07
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony Jasmine Love Austin View Post
Why do you guys care or patronize women with a NBA policy?
Why do you guys not care to be perceived as not black?

Sad.
Rarely do I patronize women with this policy but every now and then I see something I like and just give it a shot. But most of the time I see providers who want to see me. And I'm sure the OP is the same way. I totally agree with you on blacks not wanting to be perceived as black. You have lots of black providers on here claiming their mixed. But this too is them marketing to their target customer.
rayg07 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #15
MOCHAakaMOCHA
Hot, Smooth & Full-Bodied

User ID: 57609
My Bio Page
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbod55 View Post
I part afro-PR and part Haitian (most people spot/"suspect" Caribbean heritage but usually get the 'where' wrong).
I get questions about my heritage and if there is any admixture a lot usually due to shape of eyes and cheekbones.
I actually break it down on my site because I've gotten dubbed AA quite a bit...Race: Black , nationality: American , Heritage: Haitian/afro-PR.
In Puerto Rico i'm black...in Haiti i'm black....in the U.S. i'm black.
People can look like a lot of stuff and be something else....skin color or heritage or anything along those lines are non-factors in who I see.
MOCHAakaMOCHA is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women