Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41455
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
LovingKayla
Upgraded Female Account

User ID: 50897
My ECCIE Reviews
Default True Black American Heroes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoWGGeqdmo

I'm posting this for a couple reasons.

3.To see what the comments will be like (and it will be OBVIOUS if you actually watched the clip.) What does truth look like? Forget who is talking and listen to the history. Then go look it up yourself. It's truly a crime this stuff has been left out of our history.

2.To show that WE have not forgotten what the black heroes of American have done for us. It just gets hazzy because it was left out of history and what we have now is a parrot in Af as an example of what a black American is. That's bullshit. THESE guys were heroes.

1.For the lurkers that never post, this is awesome. Kinda makes me wish I was black so I could have a legacy like this one left behind.

If you have the guts, watch all the founders fridays done. You will be amazed at what you will learn. Again, this is mostly for the lurkers (you know who you are )
LovingKayla is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Most all of the outrageous statements on this board I find amusing. This is not. This is not fun. This is outrageous. I can't even begin to express my outrage at historians leaving the stories of these black, no, MY heroes out of our history books.

How dare they not mention the heroism of James Armistad. No wonder our African American friends are upset, they may not know about them either. But Armistad's picture should be in every public schoolhouse next to Washington and Lincoln. Along side our other heroes of color. These are not just black American heroes, they are AMERICAN heroes, and should be honored as such. It is disgraceful that their names are not as common as Paul Revere, Patrick Henry or Nathan Hale. I will make sure my grandchildren know who ALL their heroes are, not just the white ones.

I went to school in the era where I thought history hadn't been as slanted as it is now. I was wrong. It's been the white version of history for decades. We have denied our children, of any color, the true story of our Revolution.

And we get this Glenn Beck? Not Ed Schultz, or Al Sharpton, or Jesse Jackson, or Rachel Maddow? It's Glenn Beck who is outraged at the treatment of African American heroes? I am going to re-think my opinion of Beck. He deserves a lot of credit for bringing this out.

And I apologize to my African American friends that I did not know about this. Don't ever think that this country is any less yours because your ancestors were brought here against their will. They paid the price for freedom, your freedom and my freedom. I will hold their memory in my heart along side our other patriots. God Bless their memory and their sacrifice.

And I will further admit, this brings into question the need to allow slavery in the Southern states in order to get the Constitution adopted, and the need for a Civil War to end slavery. I honestly thought our Founders did the best they could, but now I'm not so sure. I have to think about that one for awhile.

Thank you, Kayla, for bringing this up. Damn, this pisses me off.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

COG:

How did the Beck video call you to question the founding fathers fidelity to doing the best they could?

And yes, you should re-think your professed ill founded opinion of Beck.....
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

It may have been a slap in the face to those black soldiers to not hold out longer on the slavery issue. I don't know for sure, but I will try to find out.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Missy Mariposa
Magdalene in gogo boots

User ID: 10853
My ECCIE Reviews

COG you might really like some of the stuff on this photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2206713...th/5251556905/

I actually found it through this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22067139@N05/5251556905/

Why were these heroes left out of our history books? In the simplest way I can put it: Because they're black and old white guys write and print the history books.

A more complex way? There's not racial equality in this country. The illusion of it exists, but lets be serious. Whites are not only in the most power, they hold the most money and influence.

Quote:
Daily effects of white privilege I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions that I think in my case attach somewhat more to skin-color privilege than to class, religion, ethnic status, or geographic location, though of course all these other factors are intricately intertwined. As far as I can tell, my African American coworkers, friends, and acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time, place and time of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.

5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.

6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.

7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.

8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.

10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.

11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.

12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.

13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.

15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.

17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.

18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.

19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.

23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.

25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.

26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.

27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.

28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.

29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.

30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.

31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.

32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.

33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.

34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.

36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.

37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.

38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.

39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.

40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.

42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.

43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.

44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.

45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.

46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.

47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.

48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.

49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.

50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/files/mcintosh.html

I always found that to sum up white privilege really well actually. Some obviously don't apply as much anymore (depending on where you live, I suppose) but I bolded some of the ones that obviously do. And while something like bandaids may be simple, or something you see as insignificant - it's not about that. Ask yourself WHY bandaids only come in one "flesh tone".

To end this on more of an amusing note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbe4FRt4C_s

Watch the whole thing, you'll at least get a giggle
Missy Mariposa is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Yes, it would be nice if we could all be on the same page in society. It's not easy to be an African-American in today's society. No doubt about that. I'm not sure what the answer is, but it certainly isn't keeping quiet about African Revolutionary heroes. In fact, if little children were instilled with a love of freedom, and saw all the colors it took to bring it about, we would be much farther along in race relations than we are now.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
essence
Valued Poster

I will read this with interest when I have time.

But a very short story...

walk into place which advertises finding apartments with my black gf, we were looking for a place for her.

Girl at desk immediately starts saying 'we have some cheap places at bla bla...' before asking us what we are looking for.

We both walk out in disgust.

(if you didn't know, I am white and very middle class).
essence is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Missy Mariposa
Magdalene in gogo boots

User ID: 10853
My ECCIE Reviews

I had one of those in the mid-90s. It involved a black woman buying a car with a white man. He was all set to buy the car and then his black gf walked up and the guy went "Are you sure you can afford this car?" even though the man was holding 5k in cash for a 4k car.
Missy Mariposa is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Why are we (white cable tv viewers) learning this info from Glen Beck and not Al Shapton?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

LOL, because Sharpton is not about promoting black causes, he's about promoting Al Sharpton.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Af-Freakin
BANNED

Encounters: 2

hopefully this white guilt circle jerk will last until nov. & yall will vote Obama. with ur white immorality, u crackers owe us at least 1 more black president in my lifetime. itd be acceptable 2 me if u crackers vote Michelle Obama into the senate b4 returning her 2 the white(!) house.
Af-Freakin is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Af-Freakin
BANNED

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
I will make sure my grandchildren know who ALL their heroes are, not just the white ones.
ur kids arent gonna let u see or talk 2 ur grandkids. LOL! CreepyOldLoser, why the fuck u posting like a strung out crackhead again? arent u suppose 2 have a job as doorgreeter at walmart? did ur internet addiction get ur azz fired already. LOL!
Af-Freakin is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
WTF
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
Why are we (white cable tv viewers) learning this info from Glen Beck and not Al Shapton?
Because you won't watch brother Al if your life depended on it!

Beck must be doing some soul searching for telling all those lies and doing all those drugs in his youth. Good for him.
WTF is offline   Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #14
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Typical WTF non answer; Are you saying Sharpton did a similar story before Beck? Or are you saying, there is no reason to watch Sharpton because he doesn't do informative stories about Black history? I.E. it takes a conservative white dude like Beck to get the truth out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF View Post
Because you won't watch brother Al if your life depended on it!

Beck must be doing some soul searching for telling all those lies and doing all those drugs in his youth. Good for him.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Ah, Marshall. You are partially correct. The US deserves a black president who believes in the freedom those heroes fought for. Unfortunately, President Obama is not that person. But thanks for playing.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women