Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 393
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 276
George Spelvin 266
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70747
biomed162848
Yssup Rider60528
gman4453253
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48516
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42018
CryptKicker37191
Mokoa36491
The_Waco_Kid36397
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Ten Years After Decriminalization, Drug Abuse Down by Half in Portugal

Gary Johnson is right, again.

Drug warriors often contend that drug use would skyrocket if we were to legalize or decriminalize drugs in the United States. Fortunately, we have a real-world example of the actual effects of ending the violent, expensive War on Drugs and replacing it with a system of treatment for problem users and addicts.

Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half:

Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal’s decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

“There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal,” said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

The number of addicts considered “problematic” — those who repeatedly use “hard” drugs and intravenous users — had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.”

Many of these innovative treatment procedures would not have emerged if addicts had continued to be arrested and locked up rather than treated by medical experts and psychologists. Currently 40,000 people in Portugal are being treated for drug abuse. This is a far cheaper, far more humane way to tackle the problem. Rather than locking up 100,000 criminals, the Portuguese are working to cure 40,000 patients and fine-tuning a whole new canon of drug treatment knowledge at the same time.

None of this is possible when waging a war.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...f-in-portugal/
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

I support the legalization of all recreational drugs. I could care less about addicts, it is the corrosive influence that criminalization has had on our law enforcement and court system, that I support legalization. Corruption is becoming the norm under the Drug War policies.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
ChoomCzar
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post

Drug warriors often contend that drug use would skyrocket if we were to legalize or decriminalize drugs in the United States. Fortunately, we have a real-world example of the actual effects of ending the violent, expensive War on Drugs and replacing it with a system of treatment for problem users and addicts.

Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half:

Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal’s decision 10 years ago to decriminalise drug use and treat addicts rather than punishing them is an experiment that has worked.

“There is no doubt that the phenomenon of addiction is in decline in Portugal,” said Joao Goulao, President of the Institute of Drugs and Drugs Addiction, a press conference to mark the 10th anniversary of the law.

The number of addicts considered “problematic” — those who repeatedly use “hard” drugs and intravenous users — had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added. DING DING DING DING DING

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.” **********

Many of these innovative treatment procedures would not have emerged if addicts had continued to be arrested and locked up rather than treated by medical experts and psychologists. Currently 40,000 people in Portugal are being treated for drug abuse. This is a far cheaper, far more humane way to tackle the problem. Rather than locking up 100,000 criminals, the Portuguese are working to cure 40,000 patients and fine-tuning a whole new canon of drug treatment knowledge at the same time.

None of this is possible when waging a war. Sure it can take place, war or not

drug abuse would have increased if the only variable changed was decriminalization......SOCIETY NEEDS TO CONTINUE MAKING THE STATEMENT THAT DRUG USAGE IS WRONG BY MAINTAINING CRIMINALITY......the treatment programs and other factors made all the difference. Decriminalization only increases drug demand because price falls and risk of penalty is removed......while I believe drugs should not be decriminalized, I don't agree with the hard line we take......I prefer fines for possession.....I believe private charities should address treatment......
ChoomCzar is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

Another decade of the War on Drugs policy and Americans will not be able to trust a policeman or officer of the court. The drug profiteers will own them lock, stock and barrel.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post

Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

“This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies.”

None of this is possible when waging a war.

Yes. He is.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

User ID: 35460
My ECCIE Reviews

Decriminalization doesn't increase demand, if people are going to ingest a drug, they are going to do it whether it is legal or not.

I know every country problems can't be solved by a "one policy fits all" but I would hope that America could take bits of Portugal's program and see what kind of effect it could have on Americans. Also educating people on the effects of drugs have on a person and society could help, IMO I think the allure of hard drugs would diminish if people knew what was behind the effects and what damage they can do to your health and family.
AdventureAdams is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarCruzWantsYou View Post
Decriminalization doesn't increase demand, if people are going to ingest a drug, they are going to do it whether it is legal or not.

I know every country problems can't be solved by a "one policy fits all" but I would hope that America could take bits of Portugal's program and see what kind of effect it could have on Americans. Also educating people on the effects of drugs have on a person and society could help, IMO I think the allure of hard drugs would diminish if people knew what was behind the effects and what damage they can do to your health and family.
Frankly, I don't care about the issue of an increase or decrease in the use of drugs in the event of legalization. The issue is the impact on crime and the criminal justice system, both in our country and in Mexico, Central America and the other drug-producing countries. The other issue is, we can't "win" the war on drugs, whatever the hell that means.

Legalize it, take the profit out of it and all the crime associated with it goes away. The benefits would be huge.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
AdventureAdams
Account Disabled

User ID: 35460
My ECCIE Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpage View Post
Frankly, I don't care about the issue of an increase or decrease in the use of drugs in the event of legalization. The issue is the impact on crime and the criminal justice system, both in our country and in Mexico, Central America and the other drug-producing countries. The other issue is, we can't "win" the war on drugs, whatever the hell that means.

Legalize it, take the profit out of it and all the crime associated with it goes away. The benefits would be huge.
Yes I would imagine it would take a huge chunk out of our overhead as well as take power from the illegal organizations that prosper from the drug trade. You think the government would have learned from the prohibitionist era what's going on in the border states seems very reminiscent of what used to go on in Chicago and New York in the 1920's.
AdventureAdams is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:
Yes I would imagine it would take a huge chunk out of our overhead as well as take power from the illegal organizations that prosper from the drug trade. You think the government would have learned from the prohibitionist era what's going on in the border states seems very reminiscent of what used to go on in Chicago and New York in the 1920's.
It's simply incredible that people don't realize it and support it.

Prison population in US goes down by what? Half?

No more burglaries, robberies, property crimes, etc to support drug habits.

Drug cartels in Mexico? Gone. No money, no power.

Police officers on the streets of our cities actually policing? Instead of wasting their time looking for citizens with a tailight out so they have an excuse to stop the car and search for drugs? And then spend half of the remainder of their shift booking some kid into jail who had a bag of weed?

Our drug laws boggle the mind. Senseless, wasteful stupidity promulgated by one generation of politicians after another because of attitudes like the one the moron expresses higher up in the string.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
KCJoe
Valued Poster

Encounters: 38

Private prisons are making too much money from the crimilization of drugs to ever let them be decriminalized.
KCJoe is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Of course this subject is verboten here, but prohibition of such substances is nothing but a money making machine for criminals, lawyers and preachers. It isn't any of the government's business what grown ups do to their own bodies, it simply isn't.

If the damned government wants to make money and REALLY do people some good they should legalize this and make finding RAGWEED on your property a fineable offense. If you're going to get your panties in a wad over a simple plant, make it one that actually causes a lot of misery.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Musk thistles
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Annef
Account Disabled

User ID: 82364
My ECCIE Reviews

Amen, and where ya been, Skylar? You know these guys just rip into each other for sport without a strong female voice. True dat, much like prostitution. Guys who are going to go that route are going to do it, regardless of legality. And also, the truth about drugs. I don't think the means always justifies the ends. It's not okay to scare people because you want them not to ingest, which has been the drug education program via Nancy Reagan. There are benefits to almost every substance, but there is also a short pier before you are in over your head (that was a bad metaphor. I couldn't think of the word I wanted to use). Everything in moderation, like everything else.

Quote:

Annef is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
ChoomCzar
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJoe View Post
Private prisons are making too much money from the crimilization of drugs to ever let them be decriminalized.

Another marxist demonizing corporate America......dumbass moron.....
ChoomCzar is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Annef
Account Disabled

User ID: 82364
My ECCIE Reviews

So true. Mexico is out of control. When I was in grad school, I used to cross the border with thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment to work on this little doc about border identity. I wouldn't do that now. I don't even want to go to high touristy areas like Cancun now. The drug cartels run that country. I have never sold anything, nor taken enough of anything for it to become a huge part of my life, but I have had friends who have dabbled in selling and they are rife with stories of cops on the take. Just too much money involved to be avoided, I think.

Quote:
Annef is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women