Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162522
Yssup Rider60337
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48428
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41470
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35846
Mojojo33117

Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17
Default Rooting out that voter fraud

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opi...e59695406.html
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
DSK
Account Disabled

Encounters: 19

Hell, every bureaucratic system has errors and exceptions. We have to accept a small amount of collateral damage to root out fraud. Hopefully, the state will correct its error and let that lady vote.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
LexusLover
Valued Poster

Just as long as there are no dangling chads to count.
LexusLover is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Guest042616-1
Valued Poster

Encounters: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Hell, every bureaucratic system has errors and exceptions. We have to accept a small amount of collateral damage to root out fraud. Hopefully, the state will correct its error and let that lady vote.
This seems so backwards to me. You are saying that we should deny this woman her constitutional rights because someone else might commit a crime. On top of that, it is a crime that no one has even been able to even really prove is actually a problem.

This is not to say it never happens, I am sure it does. But if we are going to set up a system that we know denies people their constitutional rights, when they have done nothing wrong, we better have a whole lot of proof that it is actually a problem.
Guest042616-1 is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
DSK
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatfibo View Post
This seems so backwards to me. You are saying that we should deny this woman her constitutional rights because someone else might commit a crime. On top of that, it is a crime that no one has even been able to even really prove is actually a problem.

This is not to say it never happens, I am sure it does. But if we are going to set up a system that we know denies people their constitutional rights, when they have done nothing wrong, we better have a whole lot of proof that it is actually a problem.
The constitution guarantees equal protection - The Equal Protection Clause is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause, which took effect in 1868, provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws".

Yet, as a white man, I'm routinely discriminated against by my own government. Affirmative action, quotas, diversity, etc - all discriminatory. Compared to that, having to have the correct paperwork to vote is a minor thing.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Guest042616-1
Valued Poster

Quote:
The constitution guarantees equal protection - The Equal Protection Clause is part of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The clause, which took effect in 1868, provides that no state shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction "the equal protection of the laws".

Yet, as a white man, I'm routinely discriminated against by my own government. Affirmative action, quotas, diversity, etc - all discriminatory. Compared to that, having to have the correct paperwork to vote is a minor thing.
This is a red herring. I'm not discussing who has it worse or discrimination against white men. I'm talking about denying people the right to vote without good reason. Whether or not you think you have it worse on something completely unrelated has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
DSK
Account Disabled

Quote:
This is a red herring. I'm not discussing who has it worse or discrimination against white men. I'm talking about denying people the right to vote without good reason. Whether or not you think you have it worse on something completely unrelated has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
It is a completely good reason to deny someone their vote if they cannot prove their identity per reasonable governmental rules.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Guest042616-1
Valued Poster

Quote:
It is a completely good reason to deny someone their vote if they cannot prove their identity per reasonable governmental rules.
To decide whether or not something like this is reasonable, we have to weigh two things: is there a good reason to do it, and does the burden it put on people match the reason.

I would hope you would agree that we wouldn't want to effectively block 1000 legitimate people from voting, in order to stop one fraudulent vote. At some point, the number of people disenfranchised voters has to be taken into account.

So, right now, no one can provide a good reason. If there were evidence of a lot of misrepresentation voter fraud, I would be totally on board. However, the evidence seems to suggest that this isn't happening much at all.

Considering we have a pretty good idea how difficult it would make voting for a large number of people, effectively disenfranchising them, the costs don't see to even remotely outweigh the tiny problem.

That being said, if voter fraud were something we knew was happening a lot, I would absolutely agree with you that an ID would be a reasonable request. However, considering it doesn't even appear to be a problem, it doesn't seem reasonable at all.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #9
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

She got her voter registration. Anyone else can, too. This is not an issue. If you want to vote, get an ID. If you are worried about citizens not being able to get an ID to vote, quit marching and bitching, and help them get an ID. The state should provide a photo ID for voting purposes for free. If they don't, pay for it yourself. It's more effective than donating to marchers and bitchers.

The ONLY reason this is an issue is because some people want non-citizens to vote, because they think the non-citizens will vote for them. That is the ONLY reason!
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #10
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Quote:
To decide whether or not something like this is reasonable, we have to weigh two things: is there a good reason to do it, and does the burden it put on people match the reason.

I would hope you would agree that we wouldn't want to effectively block 1000 legitimate people from voting, in order to stop one fraudulent vote. At some point, the number of people disenfranchised voters has to be taken into account.

So, right now, no one can provide a good reason. If there were evidence of a lot of misrepresentation voter fraud, I would be totally on board. However, the evidence seems to suggest that this isn't happening much at all.

Considering we have a pretty good idea how difficult it would make voting for a large number of people, effectively disenfranchising them, the costs don't see to even remotely outweigh the tiny problem.

That being said, if voter fraud were something we knew was happening a lot, I would absolutely agree with you that an ID would be a reasonable request. However, considering it doesn't even appear to be a problem, it doesn't seem reasonable at all.
Evidence? There is evidence but since voter ID has been blocked in so many states it makes it very difficult to get real evidence. About the only time you get "evidence" is when someone does something really stupid or the powers that be go overboard and have a 110% voter turnout.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM   #11
Guest042616-1
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
The ONLY reason this is an issue is because some people want non-citizens to vote, because they think the non-citizens will vote for them. That is the ONLY reason!
This is like the other side saying, "the only reason that they want voter ID laws is because they want poor people to not be able to vote!" If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the argument of the other side, that is your choice. But instead of making up the argument for them, you would be better served demonstrating why their argument is actually wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn View Post
Evidence? There is evidence but since voter ID has been blocked in so many states it makes it very difficult to get real evidence.
If we don't have evidence, that means there is no evidence. Assuming something is happening and then claiming that there would be evidence if we could find it is not the same thing as actually having evidence.

Quote:
About the only time you get "evidence" is when someone does something really stupid or the powers that be go overboard and have a 110% voter turnout.
Untrue. There are ways to statistically analyze voting and reasonably conclude that there was something fishy going on. Not only that, but we have multiple of different research papers trying to find evidence of fraud, which turned up nothing. This is why the courts, after reviewing the evidence, have repeatedly struck down these laws as "unreasonable." They are trying to solve a problem that appears barely exists by putting undue burden on numerous people who have committed no crime.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Quote:
This is like the other side saying, "the only reason that they want voter ID laws is because they want poor people to not be able to vote!" If you want to stick your fingers in your ears and ignore the argument of the other side, that is your choice. But instead of making up the argument for them, you would be better served demonstrating why their argument is actually wrong.
I did. They are wrong, eatfido.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
lustylad
Premium Access

Encounters: 9

Quote:
If we don't have evidence, that means there is no evidence....
Not so fast. You want evidence? Read this:

http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...citizen-voting

Some key excerpts:

"In 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens."

“Those who ignore the implications of non-citizen registration and voting either are willfully blind to the problem or may actually favor this form of illegal voting.”

“The evidence is indisputable that aliens, both legal and illegal, are registering and voting in federal, state, and local elections.”

The author cites one example after another of close elections where the extent of the fraud was only uncovered because a recount was conducted. And you want us to believe in the 99% of elections where there is no recount, it means there was no fraud?

Oh, and did you know that eight of the 9/11 hijackers were registered to vote in either Virginia or Florida?

And here is the scary part – Even if we enact and enforce voter ID laws, they won't fix the problem. Such laws merely require illegal voters to have valid photo IDs matching up with the info they used to register. In other words, it's a voter registration problem, not a voter impersonation problem.
lustylad is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
DSK
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustylad View Post

Some key excerpts:

"In 2005, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found that up to 3 percent of the 30,000 individuals called for jury duty from voter registration rolls over a two-year period in just one U.S. district court were not U.S. citizens."

“Those who ignore the implications of non-citizen registration and voting either are willfully blind to the problem or may actually favor this form of illegal voting.”

“The evidence is indisputable that aliens, both legal and illegal, are registering and voting in federal, state, and local elections.”

The author cites one example after another of close elections where the extent of the fraud was only uncovered because a recount was conducted. And you want us to believe in the 99% of elections where there is no recount, it means there was no fraud?

Oh, and did you know that eight of the 9/11 hijackers were registered to vote in either Virginia or Florida?

And here is the scary part – Even if we enact and enforce voter ID laws, they won't fix the problem. Such laws merely require illegal voters to have valid photo IDs matching up with the info they used to register. In other words, it's a voter registration problem, not a voter impersonation problem.
Very well put. EatFido, please consider this for my reply, also.
DSK is offline   Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #15
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
I did. They are wrong, eatfido.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustylad View Post

Some key excerpts:

+1
I B Hankering is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women