Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41455
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 08-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default For Those Interested in How Stuff is Designed, Engineered, and Built

No doubt you have read about 3d printing, a fantastic technology that allows users to build three-dimensional solid objects from a digital model. Here's what a typical one looks like:

A USC professor of industrial and systems engineering figured out how to scale up this technology (way up!) and use it to build houses and other small buildings. The robotic devices would be able to lay foundations, construct walls, and even do quite a bit of the wiring and plumbing. Then finishing crews could come in and install flooring, windows, doors, plumbing fixtures, and appliances. The result would be a better built, better engineered structure that would go up much more quickly and for far less labor cost, and would be resistant to storms and termite infestations.

He demonstrates the process in this very interesting 12-minute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdbJP...layer_embedded
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Great more blue collar jobs lost.Let me know when you have been replaced...
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Whine with the buggy whip union, Ekim. Technology happens.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
CJ7
Valued Poster

robotics got the car industry
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Please tell us you're just joshin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim008 View Post
Great more blue collar jobs lost...
Good grief!

I hope you're kidding. Otherwise that post will be one of the leading candidates for dumbest post of the year!

(Although this forum contains quite a bit of truly worthy competition.)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

Ekim is a laugh a minute.
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Submodo
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12

Ah, the old buggy whip analogy.

The thing is, though, the cars that replaced the buggies were more technologically complex, requiring more brains and brawn to make. More people employed.

This 3D printer doesn't result in a replacement for the home... just a way to build the home with less labor cost. Fewer people employed.
Submodo is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Fast Gunn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
Exclamation Great Idea

It actually sounds like a really great idea.

However, the guy really needs to work on his poor presentation!

He should have gotten some professional speakers to really convey the idea with the energy it deserves.

. . . A great idea can be lost in poor presentation and come off sounding like a second rate concept.

Fast Gunn is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn View Post
It actually sounds like a really great idea.

However, the guy really needs to work on his poor presentation!

He should have gotten some professional speakers to really convey the idea with the energy it deserves.

. . . A great idea can be lost in poor presentation and come off sounding like a second rate concept.

If this idea begins to go anywhere, I have no doubt that its developers will create a beautiful presentation in due course. Right now I suspect that it's little more than university research.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
Whine with the buggy whip union, Ekim. Technology happens.

You are really turning into a bore old fart.you are starting to hate everything and everyone..Humor is so far over your head..take your meds and chill...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
Good grief!

I hope you're kidding. Otherwise that post will be one of the leading candidates for dumbest post of the year!

(Although this forum contains quite a bit of truly worthy competition.)

Join cute old fart as the dullest goon here you fuckers suck big time...
Old 08-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Sidewinder
Lifetime Premium Access

Yes and no, Submodo. The cars were technologically more advanced, INITIALLY requiring more production workers. As manufacturing technolgy advanced (*cough* Henry Ford *cough*), the required head count dropped.

Historically, when workers are displaced by technology, the workers find better things to do with their time. 150 years ago, the vast majority of the population of the United States were "employed" as subsistence farmers, and nobody was available to develop advanced technology, because they were too busy growing food for their dinner tables. Development of modern low-labor agricultural technology meant those people could do other things, like study medicine, or electricity, or build airplanes. (How do Wilbur and Orville find the time to build bicycles, their day jobs before they went off to Kitty Hawk, if they're busy growing food? Think about it.)
Sidewinder is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Default Technological Innovation is the ONLY Real Driver of Economic Growth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekim008 View Post

Join cute old fart as the dullest goon here you fuckers suck big time...
Are you just another clueless clown whose tray table doesn't quite extend to the upright & locked position?

If time travel were possible, you'd probably consider it a great idea to go back and kill all the people involved in the invention and development of the computer. After all, it destroyed many millions of jobs. Before about 40-50 years ago, office buildings were filled with people who did little more than add numbers by using pencils, paper, and old-fashioned adding machines.

Ever heard of "creative destruction", a term popularized by Schumpeter about 70 years ago? In the above post, Sidewinder offered a couple of other good historical examples of the concept.

Technological innovation resulting in productivity gains is the only real driver of economic growth and development over time.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #14
Dawgs
Valued Poster

Encounters: 5

Technology, what would we do without it. More blue collar jobs gone? Probably not, somebody has to build and market those machines. If it means they can build houses faster and cheaper, more will be built. Yes some jobs will be lost in the basic construction phase but jobs will be gained in other areas.
Dawgs is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight View Post
Are you just another clueless clown whose tray table doesn't quite extend to the upright & locked position?

If time travel were possible, you'd probably consider it a great idea to go back and kill all the people involved in the invention and development of the computer. After all, it destroyed many millions of jobs. Before about 40-50 years ago, office buildings were filled with people who did little more than add numbers by using pencils, paper, and old-fashioned adding machines.

Ever heard of "creative destruction", a term popularized by Schumpeter about 70 years ago? In the above post, Sidewinder offered a couple of other good historical examples of the concept.

Technological innovation resulting in productivity gains is the only real driver of economic growth and development over time.
Babble on you are clueless but happy this is a hooker board don't take yourself so serious no one else is...

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women