Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
test
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 395
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 277
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70761
biomed162989
Yssup Rider60642
gman4453274
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48582
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42256
CryptKicker37200
The_Waco_Kid36645
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Guest081814
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5
Default Bourbon Whiskey

The "blue bags" thread sparked up what I thought was an interesting topic.

Fellow Hobbyists and of course Admired Providers:

Which is your favorite Bourbon Whiskey?

I have recently dove into the great debate myself and already have a clear favorite

Woodford Reserve

other honorable mentions are Maker's Mark, Sam Houston, Knob Creek, and Bulliet.

What does hobby land think?
Guest081814 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Risn2TheOccasion
Valued Poster

Encounters: 36

Well being of Irish decent, Jameson or Bushmills is my favorite.

The best American whiskey is Jack Daniels, but not everyone likes the charcoal filtered flavor and caramelize the wood barrels.

I also believe whiskey should never be mixed with anything. Straight from a shot glass is the only way.
Risn2TheOccasion is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
thundarr28
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

I usually drink Jim or Jack, but 1792 Ridgemont Reserve is by far the best I've ever had.
thundarr28 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risn2TheOccasion View Post
Well being of Irish decent, Jameson or Bushmills is my favorite.

The best American whiskey is Jack Daniels, but not everyone likes the charcoal filtered flavor and caramelize the wood barrels.

I also believe whiskey should never be mixed with anything. Straight from a shot glass is the only way.
Irish whiskeys are not Bourbon.

A note about Bourbon. It can ONLY be made in the continental US. Bourbon must me made from a mash bill of minimum 51% corn, and the remainder can be rye, barley, or wheat. It must also be aged a minimum of 2 years in brand new oak barrels EVERY time. (this is what makes Jack Daniels NOT Bourbon as they reuse their barrels. Jack is Tennessee Whiskey) Canadian Whiskey is also not Bourbon. Bourbon can also not be blended. All of the distillate must come from the same distillery, and can contain 0% neutral spirit. For Bourbon to be labeled Straight Bourbon it must be at least 4 years old.

Kentucky makes the majority of the Bourbon in the US. While there are literaly hundreds of Bourbon brands there are less than a dozen distilleries in the whole state. So when you buy a bottle of Evan Williams it is actually made at the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown Kentucky. Makers Mark is owned by Jim Beam BUT the Maker's Distillery in Loretto ONLY makes Makers Mark. Sazerac makes several bourbons including George T Stagg, Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare. They also make Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye, (An American institution in itself). Woodford is made by the Brown Forman company who also makes Jack and El Jimador Tequila etc... Two of my favs are Bulleit and 4 Roses, which are made at the 4 Roses distillery owned by Diageo (they make/own the following brands Crown, Smirnoff, Ketel One, Buchanan's Johnnie Walker etc... ad nauseum).

Some of my favs:

Bulleit: Dry Bourbon with a high content of Rye. Flavors similar to Canadian Whiskeys, mixes well or great on the rocks.

Maker's Mark: A wheated Whisky that has sweet Banana and Clove flavors. Great in Manhattans.

Buffalo Trace: Molasses sweetness, with a spicey finish. This is a slow sipping whiskey for sure. Please don't mix with coke.

Wooford Reserve: Woodford uses one of the heaviest barrel charrs in modern Bourbon. The barrels are burned on the inside and depending on the level of burn the darker and deeper the flavor. Woodford will sometimes give a burned rubber aroma and flavor. (This is a desired thing)

Eagle Rare: Sazerac's 10 year old single barrel whiskey. Single barrels will have a different flavor every release, but the bottle I have is spicey.

W.L. Weller: Employs one of the highest concentrations of corn, way more than the required minimum 51%. The flavor is reminiscent of buttered popcorn.

The Jim Beam Small Batch collection is also a good place to start enjoying good bourbon. Bookers is a barrel proof (no water added) bourbon. Its flavors disperse through the mouth as the whiskey evaporates on your tounge. Bakers is 107 proof, the alcohol is more evident than the flavor (probably my least fav of the Beam Small Batches) Basil Hayden is 80 proof and a sweet and soft sipping bourbon. Knob Creek is a 9 year 100 proof bourbon.

Do I have a favorite?

Yes.

Will I tell?

No....
rekcaSxT is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Also check out the Russel's Reserve Bourbon and Rye. They are made by Jimmy Russel (Maker of Wild Turkey) and his son.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Sensei
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcaSxT View Post
Irish whiskeys are not Bourbon.

A note about Bourbon. It can ONLY be made in the continental US. Bourbon must me made from a mash bill of minimum 51% corn, and the remainder can be rye, barley, or wheat. It must also be aged a minimum of 2 years in brand new oak barrels EVERY time. (this is what makes Jack Daniels NOT Bourbon as they reuse their barrels. Jack is Tennessee Whiskey) Canadian Whiskey is also not Bourbon. Bourbon can also not be blended. All of the distillate must come from the same distillery, and can contain 0% neutral spirit. For Bourbon to be labeled Straight Bourbon it must be at least 4 years old.
If only the reused barrels make it whiskey, wouldn't that make the first batch bourbon?
Sensei is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

The barrels must be new when the clear distillate goes in. Then the spirit stays in for the full amount of time. They don't switch barrels every year.

Most used bourbon barrels are sold to tequila, and scotch producers. And some to other types of liquor makers like rum etc...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Was that the question you were asking??
Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Sensei
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcaSxT View Post
The barrels must be new when the clear distillate goes in. Then the spirit stays in for the full amount of time. They don't switch barrels every year.

Most used bourbon barrels are sold to tequila, and scotch producers. And some to other types of liquor makers like rum etc...
So the first time they use the barrel (new) it would be bourbon, after that when they reuse the barrel it becomes whiskey. I guess it's because then it's mixed with the previous batch no matter if they clean the barrel or not right? I am going to have to go to the distillery again to see the process again, I didn't catch the part where they changed barrels out. Oh, and the samples arn't bad either
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
bigmarv
Valued Poster

Encounters: 21

Jack Daniels.
bigmarv is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
So the first time they use the barrel (new) it would be bourbon, after that when they reuse the barrel it becomes whiskey. I guess it's because then it's mixed with the previous batch no matter if they clean the barrel or not right? I am going to have to go to the distillery again to see the process again, I didn't catch the part where they changed barrels out. Oh, and the samples arn't bad either
Well at that point they can sell it as blended or simply American Whiskey. But like I said they usually sell the barrels.

Now in other parts of the world when they reuse barrels. The cooper dissassembles the barrel, strips the inside, reassembles the barrel and then recharrs the barrel.

And Bigmarv, as we have discussed Jack Daniels is NOT bourbon.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

Last summer I was in Kentucky and we had a seminar by a stave company that builds the barrels. It would have been interesting if I wasn't suffering from the worst hangover of my life. I really wish I had been able to pay attention to what that guy said...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
Sensei
Valued Poster

Ah Ok, according to my neighbor the fact that JD is charcoal mellowed is why it can't be legally called a bourbon. But we are going up there again to make sure.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #14
rekcaSxT
Lifetime Premium Access

That has kinda bugged me, because I have heard the same thing. BUT Evan Williams is Charcoal Filtered, and it is Bourbon. But Jack Daniels does reuse their barrels.

One thing is certain, JD is not bourbon, and they have no desire to be called bourbon. They are proud to be one of only 2 Tennessee whiskeys in existance.

Anyone know the OTHER Tennessee Whiskey???
Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
bigmarv
Valued Poster

Encounters: 21

Jack Daniels is a type of whiskey, more specifically it is considered a Tennessee whiskey, which is not actually a legal definition. It is a bourbon in every respect with the addition of filtering through sugar maple charcoal.
bigmarv is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women