Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 268
George Spelvin 255
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70548
biomed161608
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453120
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48046
pyramider46370
bambino40794
CryptKicker37137
Mokoa36487
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default NYC Mayor Bloomberg: Government has right to ‘infringe on your freedom’

Just thought you'd like to know what the mayor of the nation's largest city thinks about freedom:

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Sunday: Sometimes government does know best. And in those cases, Americans should just cede their rights.

“I do think there are certain times we should infringe on your freedom,” Mr. Bloomberg said, during an appearance on NBC. He made the statement during discussion of his soda ban — just shot down by the courts — and insistence that his fight to control sugary drink portion sizes in the city would go forth.

“We think the judge was just clearly wrong on this,” he said, on NBC. “Our Department of Health has the legal ability to do this. … [They’re] not banning anything.”

Mr. Bloomberg’s remaining months in office have included a firestorm of regulations and policy pushes on wide range of issues. Aside from the soda size ban and a well-publicized call for tighter gun control, another contentious policy he pushed: Nudging hospitals to lock up baby formula to force mothers to breast-feed newborns.

Seriously, is further comment necessary? He's talking about Big Gulps. Government has the right to infringe on your rights if you want a Big Gulp.

You can't make this shit up.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2OcUtK9JU
CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

Please Mr. Bloomberg, save me from myself.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

Typical liberal, wanting to have as much control over the people as he can get away with. The really sad thing is that there are enough people that think he is right that he got elected. All will be fine till he comes for one of your rights.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Jewish Lawyer
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

The jerkoff is a billionaire with power and privilege - exactly the way he thinks the world should be set up - everyone think like him and do what he says.
Jewish Lawyer is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Of course the government has the right to limit people's freedoms.

You don't have the right to shout "fire!" in a public place. You don't have the right to indiscriminantly kill whomever you wish. You don't have the right to <insert nuclear topics of the board>.

That being said, I'd be interested to see how the large sized soda thing goes. On one hand, in the name of freedom, people should be allowed to buy whatever sized soda they want. On the other hand, plenty of studies show that all those sugary sodas do terrible things to the human body.

It's also an interesting comparison between sugary sodas and say tobacco, which the government also cracked down on and today most people are better off for it.

Of course, we would love for people to be personally responsible for themselves, but we all know many people just aren't capable of that.
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
timpage
Account Disabled

The idea that the government can't curtail your freedoms is absurd. Of course, it can, and does, every single day.

Telling you how much Fanta Orange you can drink is over the line, however.

That having been said, it's a shame that the big fat slobs who populate our country these days can't figure out on their own that slurping down 64 ounces of soda is a bad idea. Take a look around. Go to the mall. Or god forbid, Walmart. Americans are turning into big tubs of jiggling shit because of bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

Bloomberg is an arrogant ass but his heart is in the right place. He's trying to help you fatass couch potatos. Now, I'm going for a run.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpage View Post
The idea that the government can't curtail your freedoms is absurd. Of course, it can, and does, every single day.

Telling you how much Fanta Orange you can drink is over the line, however.

That having been said, it's a shame that the big fat slobs who populate our country these days can't figure out on their own that slurping down 64 ounces of soda is a bad idea. Take a look around. Go to the mall. Or god forbid, Walmart. Americans are turning into big tubs of jiggling shit because of bad eating habits and lack of exercise.

Bloomberg is an arrogant ass but his heart is in the right place. He's trying to help you fatass couch potatos. Now, I'm going for a run.
Correct.

But the solution to that problem is to NOT pay for health care benefits of the morbidly obese and/or charge them an extra high premium.

Banning a 24 ounce drink just means they will buy two 12 ounce drinks instead. It won't change their consumption.
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Great idea by Bloomberg. Lets ban large fountain drinks so you won't get fat. But you can still go to Burger King and tell'em " Super Size Me" motherfucker, I'll show that Bloomberg by god, lol. Rule number one don't listen to political people they don't know shit. If they did we wouldn't have all these problems in this country.
acp5762 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
timpage
Account Disabled

We'll end up paying for the healthcare of the morbidly obese one way or the other....unless you are prepared to support a directive that prohibits healthcare providers at ER's and county hospitals across the nation from treating uninsured fatties without cash.

And, I'm not so sure you're right about people doubling up on portions if portions weren't doubled up already. Our country has somehow turned into a nation of fatties over the past couple of decades. Is it just a coincidence that it was during that time period that 64 ounce cokes and triple-decker Baconator cheeseburgers became available for the sludge-gobbling masses?

I heard somewhere the other day that this year, for the first time, deaths related to obesity will likely exceed deaths related to starvation world-wide. I read the other day that by 2030, 60% of the US population will be obese. You have to wonder if there wasn't a McDonald's on every single street corner these days if those numbers would be the same.

Should the government be allowed to force fast food makers to put photos of a fat-engorged organ, or a cutaway of a severely congested heart valve on the box that your triple-decker hamburger comes in? Or at least a warning that eating that shit is going to kill you?

What's the difference between eating yourself to death and smoking yourself to death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNYer View Post
Correct.

But the solution to that problem is to NOT pay for health care benefits of the morbidly obese and/or charge them an extra high premium.

Banning a 24 ounce drink just means they will buy two 12 ounce drinks instead. It won't change their consumption.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
satexasguy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpage View Post
Should the government be allowed to force fast food makers to put photos of a fat-engorged organ, or a cutaway of a severely congested heart valve on the box that your triple-decker hamburger comes in? Or at least a warning that eating that shit is going to kill you?
I doubt such photos would do much to deter idiots. I remember as a child back in the 60's we used to see photos of nasty lungs as a show of what smoking can do. Yet people still smoke and want to sue the tobacco companies.

I figure it's only a matter of time when being able to sue fast food companies for complications due to obesity will become common.
satexasguy is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by satexasguy View Post
I doubt such photos would do much to deter idiots. I remember as a child back in the 60's we used to see photos of nasty lungs as a show of what smoking can do. Yet people still smoke and want to sue the tobacco companies.

I figure it's only a matter of time when being able to sue fast food companies for complications due to obesity will become common.
But, they made it taste SO GOOD. I was powerless to stop myself from gorging. It's really not my fault. I'm the victim here...
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

The "fire in a crowded theater" decision came about in World War I. The Sedition Act was challenged by the left! (Wilson was a racist progressive) Wilson passed laws the incrementally made it seditious to criticize the military, then the government, then the president under the guise of supporting the war. Remember this was left winder progressives behind these laws. People like Emma Goldberg and Eugene Debs spoke out against the war and more specifically the mandatory draft. Both were charged with sedition and both went to prison for a number of years. The phrase, "you can't shout fire in a crowded theater" came from the pen of Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. who could always turn a phrase. Also the more academic term "imminent danger" was about restricting free speech during the war. Afterwards parts of the Act were struck down in 1921 by the same supreme court and Holmes agreed that the danger had passed.

I digress again. The difference between that and Bloomberg is that the latter went through the process and Bloomberg is dictating. If Bloomberg can't get through his government, he orders it, if he can't order it then he tries to buy public opinion. Wasn't it the left just last year complaining bitterly (bitter complainers!) about the SCOTUS decision to allow corporations to have the same rights as people. Wouldn't that include the fortune of a single man (think Koch brothers) used to create or oppress public opinion? The left is being hypocritical again. They were for something before they were against the same thing.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
CJ7
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2Dogs View Post
Typical liberal, wanting to have as much control over the people as he can get away with. The really sad thing is that there are enough people that think he is right that he got elected. All will be fine till he comes for one of your rights.
Bloomberg left the liberal party and became a republican.. he's now running as an independent .

if Ellie Mae wants to engulf a large bag of Doritos and down a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi before dinner, the good Mayor needs to ban grocery stores.
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
CJ7
Valued Poster

putting a ban on a large soft drink wont help that
CJ7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
acp5762
Account Disabled

Encounters: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 View Post