Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70700
biomed162471
Yssup Rider60308
gman4453223
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48417
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41388
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35797
Mojojo33117

Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
what the hell
Valued Poster

Encounters: 12
Default Info requested from current or former waiters/waitresses

I eat at restaurants a lot. Every day, and usually by myself.

My main question is what is considered a good tip from a single person?

Is it always based on the price on the bill?

My bills usually range from $9.50 - $15.

When I am by myself I always tip based on service because the wait staff has to do the same amount of work regardless of my bill. I know it is standard to tip a percentage of the bill, but they are doing no more work to bring out my $25 steak than my $7 sandwhich.

When I am with one or more people I usually tip less because I know the other people are going to tip also. When I am by myself, I tend to tip more because that is all they will get.

So, I would like to hear from former or current waitstaff as to what you would expect to get from a single person and not get mad.

If my bill is $9.50 should I tip less than or equal to $1.50? (15% is 1.425)

And if it is $15 should I tip $2.25?

Does the waitstaff actually calculate what 15% is and base their feelings on that?

By the way, I usually tip $4 if the service was even half good because I feel guilty if they only get $1.50. I can't imagine tipping less than $2 if I am by myself. With a group, sure.

I am trying to see if I am overtipping what is expected.

Cheap, maybe, but that means more hobbying!
what the hell is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
Captain Caveman
Valued Poster

Full discosure - I have never been a waiter and I eat out and drink a lot.

When I first moved to Dallas I was dismayed to see a tip jar in Subway. That's not something you see back east. The tipping culture here is certainly richer than some north eastern industrialized city.

My general rule is 20% rounded up to the whole dollar. If the tab is somewhere in the $10-$20 range I usually throw in $5 on the tab. Even at places like Subway or Chipotle where they have a tip jar I throw a buck in.

When it comes to my local bar I tip bigger... I take into account how long I was at the bar, how many free drinks did the bartender make me, how many beers she "forgot" to ring in. The tipping has paid off... if the bar is crowded those bartenders make sure I get a seat... when I sit down they make sure to take care of everything I need.

Maybe it is a karma thing... I just don't think I should short change these people who are serving me food and drinks.
Captain Caveman is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
TexRich
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

I know there are some people that think the standard tip rate is still 10% or 15%, and maybe that was the case in the 50s through 70s, but today it is 20%. The OP makes it clear from his past experiences he has never waited tables, and that is fine, ignorance is sometimes bliss LOL. I waited tables when I was in college, and before I waited tables I had the same take pretty much he did. I now normally tip 20% for good service. If the server was terrible or hardly gave me any attention, then I do not. If anything I am more critical since I know that even a busy server can give enough attention for me to know that he/she tried their best despite being triple sat, working a large section because they are short handed, or running other people's food for whatever reason. 20% is pretty reasonable, and if you cannot afford to give $1.90 of a bill of $9.50 as the lesser amount of the bill the OP post mentions, then you should probably stick to fast food or express dining where you serve yourself. The OP mentions he usually tips more, so I am just using his amount as an example.

One other thing to consider, say you order something easy or not that much service is re3quired but you decide to bring a book with you, read the newspaper, chat with a friend for an hour or more, or just open up your laptop and surf and such but stay at the table for a long while, then you are taking money away from that server because they cannot turn more tables. If you were to do that you may want to tip more than $1.90 if your bill is a total of $9.50, you may want to double the tip at least. From my experience, most people tip the right amount or more, most people base it off their total bill and service offered, not because they think the server are doing more work by bringing out a sandwich or a steak.
TexRich is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 53

Remember when an employer paid a decent wage to the employee instead of depending on the customer to pay the employees?
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
seventonine
Valued Poster

Encounters: 3

I'll tip a waiter / waitress well. Usually around 20% of the total bill including tax unless the service is poor. When service is poor, I'll drop back but still tip. However, I do not drop coins in the tip jar at the $tarbucks, sandwich place, Mickey-D's, or some place like that. I paid for that service as part of the menu price.
seventonine is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Chainsaw Anthropologist
Valued Poster

Encounters: 23
My ECCIE Reviews

Archaic as it may seem, I still prefer to pay cash for my check in most instances. A practice that has crept into the service world is returning an even dollar amount of change.
Example: my check is $9.50, I use a $20 dollar bill as payment and receive $10 dollars in change. A 20% tip is about $1.40, but, because you already have 50 cents of MY money, you're going to get about a dollar more. Conversely, if you return more change than I would normally expect, say $11.00, I'll cover the total due, plus the appropriate tip.
Another practice I despise is returning a fistful of ones as my change. This, it seems to me is apparently an effort to increase the amount left as a gratuity. More than once, I've mentioned to my server that I don't need all ones as change.

c.a.
Chainsaw Anthropologist is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

I think to some degree it depends on the type of restaurant. I tend to consider 15% standard in a greasy spoon or low end chain and 20% or higher as standard in high end restaurants.

If I'm dining alone, especially in a lower priced restaurant, I'll usually tip about a dollar or two more than that rate would suggest because I think it's just as much trouble for a waiter to serve one as it is to serve two. And I tend to linger when I dine alone. So if I have a meal alone and the bill is $12, rather than tip $2 (15% = $1.80, so $2.00, rounded up), I'll tip $3 or $4 depending on how good the service was. $5 if it was very, very good.

Higher end places, I usually tip 20%, rounded up to the nearest $5; or 25%, rounded up to the nearest $5, if the service was substantially above average.
TexTushHog is online now   Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
FondaCox
Account Disabled

User ID: 90985
My ECCIE Reviews

you need to consider servers make $2.10/$2.25 an hr, they depend on their tips to even hit minimum wage. There is alot more involved than just shlepping your food to you. They have alot of side work. They have to deal with some not so pleasant people and keep a smile on their face...there really are people that order, and even if it is repeated back to them....they still say " that's not what I ordered" and as someone mentioned earlier, if your camping at your table reading the paper, surfing internet etc....for 2 hours and your basing your tip on your $1.99 breakfast special..you need to stay home and eat breakfast, you have just cost the server money. and some places charge the server for their credit card tips. On the other hand, there are some servers that should choose a different career because they have the personality of a pringle. so just consider, was your service good? did they check on you frequently? did they smile were they jovial? did they go the extra mile for you? as the saying goes.." the tip you leave today, determines your service tomorrow" lol.....and always overtip your bartender : )
FondaCox is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Hobbyfun
Lifetime Premium Access

Yes but what do you tip when say 2 people go to a high end steak house and have a couple of drinks and steaks and the bill is $175.00 to $200.00
That would be $35.00 to $40.00 tip @20 % and you know the wait staff had other tables.
Say they had 4 tables per hour and some 2 people and some 4 people and the average bill was $250.00 per table x 4 tables that would be $200.00 per hour in tips alone.

Dam I may need to change jobs.
Hobbyfun is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
FondaCox
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

alot of high end places limit the servers tables, for example Houstons, to a beginner you only get 3 tables, and in the crappy sections, the better tables, bigger parties, go to the people with seniority, and unless someone dies lol it will stay that way, and some people still think a dollar is a good tip!!!! yikes!..But I have to admit i am an over tipper just because I have been in the industry for a very long time. the only place I would even consider going back into that business would be at Dick's Last resort, where you get paid to tell someone their a cheap a**hole lol lol
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
JohnBoyjrh
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

I'm tired of hearing how hard it is being a waitperson. I waited tables in college, my two daughters waited tables while going to school. Anyone that deals with the public has to deal with a certain number of assholes. Even if you don't deal with the public , you will have to deal with assholes. If you're good at what you do you will benefit from your labor. Generally when I tip it's in the form of cash, even if I'm paying the bill with plastic. I've stiffed bad servers and I've tipped as much 50% to good servers. I generally tip 15-20%. I'm just tired of hearing how hard their job is. I worked in retail for over 40 years . I've met many an asshole but the nice customers made it worth the effort.
JohnBoyjrh is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Waldo P. Emerson-Jones
Feed the Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by what the hell View Post
So, I would like to hear from former or current waitstaff as to what you would expect to get from a single person and not get mad.
Former Chilihead here. I never expected a much bigger tip percentage wise from someone eating alone than I did from a party of 2 or more. Serving one person is easier than serving two. Maybe not half as easy, but still the more people at a table, the more work. Most people tipped based on the amount of their bill and that was what I generally based my expectation upon. One exception, mentioned already by TexRich, is a party that stays for a long time. They seldom tipped more than a party that ate and left, but I worked more (refilling their tea or water, just checking if there's anything they need or keeping an eye out for that table) and, if it was busy, they took up one of my tables and kept me from making money from another party. I'd also hope/expect bigger tips from parties that made me do lots of unnecessary extra work (for example, screwed up their order, repeated requests, spills, etc.). I'd also hope/expect bigger tips percentage wise from a person or party that was ordering very little dollarwise/person (for example, couple comes in to split a dessert after a movie).
Waldo P. Emerson-Jones is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
FondaCox
Account Disabled

My ECCIE Reviews

Thank you Waldo, I can appreciate a man that has something "non-bitchy" to say lol
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #14
Captain Caveman
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbyfun View Post
Yes but what do you tip when say 2 people go to a high end steak house and have a couple of drinks and steaks and the bill is $175.00 to $200.00
That would be $35.00 to $40.00 tip @20 % and you know the wait staff had other tables.
Say they had 4 tables per hour and some 2 people and some 4 people and the average bill was $250.00 per table x 4 tables that would be $200.00 per hour in tips alone.

Dam I may need to change jobs.
Since you asked...

I would tip $35-$40 on a meal like that.

And why would you worry about what other tables the server had? Do they deserve any less of a tip if they served other tables with the same excellent service they showed you?

Maybe you should stick with Outback Steakhouse?
Captain Caveman is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
JohnJohn
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 7

Dayumm...I've been tipping 30 to 35% for many years now!

And I'll keep doing it too because I know a lot of these ladies are the only income in a single parent home. This economy is very rough on many less fortunate than me so I'll help now while I am able.
JohnJohn is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women