Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70702
biomed162498
Yssup Rider60316
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48424
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41455
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35820
Mojojo33117

Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20
Default Les Misérables

Went to the movie today. Actually, the stage play is better, but it is a good movie experience. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are incredible! I never considered them Tier 1 actors, but they proved themselves in this. Russell Crowe as Inspector Javert wasn't bad, but I think Crowe was miscast. Normally, I'm a big Russell Crowe fan, but he didn't capture the rigid adherence to duty that Javert has. Overall, he was good, just not quite right.

Sacha Baron Cohen was an unmitigated disaster! He took a very dark, humorous role and turned it into a collection of cheap gags. Very disappointing, and it did not fit into the story at all. Helena Bonham Carter followed suit, but she would have been much better if casting was different, and the direction of their scenes was consistent with the rest of the movie.

A few lines were changed, as well as the ending, which was also disappointing, and they added a song which did not fit in well with the original score, and was out of place. They also shortened some songs, and some of the key scenes. But that's Hollywood, I guess.

However, the movie added some scenes from the book which weren't in the play, which was fun.

It is not a fast paced movie, and it lasts 2 1/2 hours, but the music, scenery, the fabulous acting of Jackman and Hathaway, all work together to make this one of the best movies of the year, in spite of the minor issues mentioned earlier.

So go see the movie. You'll enjoy it.

CuteOldGuy is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Is this another "sky is falling" thread?
Guest040616 is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
SpeedRacerXXX
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

COG, we saw the movie last night and I agree with everything you say. Might not be as hard on Sacha Baron Cohen as you are though. After seeing him in his other roles, any "real" acting role was a plus. Agree totally with your statements on Jackman, Hathaway, and Crowe. Their singing talents surprised me and the fact that the singing was "live" as opposed to dubbed made it all the better.

It's hard to compare stage plays vs. movies since both have their plusses and minuses. Let's just say I enjoyed both versons very much and agree that it is well worth seeing.
SpeedRacerXXX is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
JD Barleycorn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 54

What does that say about Hollywood, to take a precious gem which has stood the test of time and turn it into dreck by miscasting people in parts because they are popular. When did Cohen get to be that popular? Haven't see it yet but did see Lea Michelle in the road show several years ago playing a young Cosette.

What a choice on Christmas day; Les Miserables or D'Jango Unchained.
JD Barleycorn is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

It's still a good movie, JD. Give it a shot.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
joe bloe
Valued Poster

I've been looking forward to the movie for months. I'm a huge Les Mis fan. The DVD of the twenty fifth anniversary production at the O2 is great; if you haven't seen it you should rent it. It is kind of a shame to cast Russel Crowe as Javert. The role calls for someone with a great voice; his is mediocre at best.

Here's Norm Lewis as Javert. He's amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB1OgS0MuBs

Here's the complete 25th anniversary performance at the O2 in London.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz13cWUokOs
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
I've been looking forward to the movie for months. I'm a huge Les Mis fan.
I suspected you would be a fan. Other than Whirly, nobody did a more miserable job of predicting the outcome of Election 2012 than Joe the Bloehard.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Laz
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Since I have seen the play multiple times I also was a little disappointed with the movie. I think that is because I had huge expectations that would have been hard to meet. I was very disappointed with Russel Crowe. He does not have the necessary vocal ability to play that part. I thought Jackman and Hathaway did a great job although the decision to record the singing on the set might have been a mistake. The sound quality was a little disappointing. If the emotional content was better because of that I guess it was a good decision but I would hope that they could have done both considering the quality of the actors.

If you have not seen the stage production I think you will be happy with the movie. It was worth watching for me but like I said I had huge expectations that were not quite met.
Laz is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
joe bloe
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
I suspected you would be a fan. Other than Whirly, nobody did a more miserable job of predicting the outcome of Election 2012 than Joe the Bloehard.
What on Earth does one have to do with the other?

You're saying you suspected I would be a fan of Les Mis because I thought Romney was going to win? That's a non sequitur.

You're really not very bright.
joe bloe is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bloe View Post
What on Earth does one have to do with the other?

You're saying you suspected I would be a fan of Les Mis because I thought Romney was going to win? That's a non sequitur.

You're really not very bright.
You really can not read very well, can you? Had you taken a little time to actually read what I said, it would have been very clear. I said, "other than Whirly, nobody did a more miserable job of predicting the outcome of Election 2012 than Joe the Bloehard."

Can you hear me now?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
satexasguy
Valued Poster

Encounters: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
damn bigtex, you are really out there on your posts. Are you sure you're not a closet republican and just pissed Romney lost? Or maybe you should stay away from things that are not to be mentioned here.
satexasguy is offline   Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by satexasguy View Post
Are you sure you're not a closet republican and just pissed Romney lost?
Busted!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

BigTurd, when we are discussing "The Miserables" we were not talking about you. Although I understand your confusion.

It was actually about a movie, not your meaningless, pathetic life. Sorry.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Guest040616
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy View Post
BigTurd, when we are discussing "The Miserables" we were not talking about you. Although I understand your confusion.

It was actually about a movie, not your meaningless, pathetic life. Sorry.
Actually, I thought it was acceptable behavior to hijack a thread in this forum. After all, StupidOldFart regularly hijacks threads with endless rants about how miserable his life happens to be, his fear of losing liberty that he has yet to fight for as well as his endless pursuit of perpetual unhappiness. If SOF can do that why can't I hijack a thread and discuss "other than Whirly, nobody did a more miserable job of predicting the outcome of Election 2012 than Joe the Bloehard?"

Just sayin'
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
CuteOldGuy
Valued Poster

Nobody was complaining, BigTurd. I just thought you were confused. I guess I was right.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women