Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh > The Sandbox - Pittsburgh
test
The Sandbox - Pittsburgh The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70696
biomed162401
Yssup Rider60234
gman4453220
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48397
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41289
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35708
Mojojo33117

Old 12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
jw4591
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1
Default Football when you was a kid

I was gonna reply to the Big Ben thread but it's closed. Who were some of the best football players yinz seen when you was a little kid? Either at a game or just on TV. I'm prolly older than most of yinz but got a great memory. Let's include Baseball too. Never went to many football games when I was little, only 2 actually. We weren't blessed with alot of money, but my dad took us when he could. We went to many baseball games at Forbes Field. My 1st football game was Pitt vs Navy, Roger Staubach was QB for Navy. Bam can you name the QB for Pitt?
jw4591 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
sexymaid_69
Account Disabled

User ID: 3741
My ECCIE Reviews

Was it Dorsett?
sexymaid_69 is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
jw4591
Account Disabled

haha, no Jinny, this was before you were born. Told ya I'm almost retirement age. Hint: He was from fayettenam
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Encounters: 67

I got to see a lot of AAA baseball games before Houston had an MLB franchise. .aw a lot of up and coming St. Louis Cardinals back then. Our radio announcer was Dizzy Dean! I remember seeing a lot of colt45s games and then practically lived at the astrodome.

Best ballplayer I ever saw was a guy y'all might remember ... Roberto Clemente. No telling how much more he coulda done.

College football was all about Rice when I was real young. Could never understand why a school with an enrollment of 2,500 needed a stadium that seated 72,500.

UH became pretty big during my HS years, mainly because they were one of the only southern schools to recruit blacks.

Led the nation in offense year after year. The Cougars were known as inventors of the veer offense but never got any respect because they were Indys.

Pro football was about the Oilers and the AFL. Early AFL was absolutely nuts. 55-51 games, etc., every week. Hated rivals were the Dallas Texans, Los Angeles Chargers and New York Titans.

coolest thing, though, was growing up in Houston when then astrodome was built. it was truly a sensation. Saw Indy car races in there, bullfighting, Evel Knievel and more crazy shit than you could imagine. (Lots of rodeos with Elvis, and a pretty big NCAA basketball game with Elvin!). Now they're gonna tear it down. assholes.

Lot of water under the bridge since then.

Lot of pierogies too!
Yssup Rider is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
jw4591
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssup Rider View Post

Best ballplayer I ever saw was a guy y'all might remember ... Roberto Clemente. No telling how much more he coulda done.
He threw strikes from right field, no arc at all, to any base or home plate. One of the best ballplayers that ever played. I'm glad I grew up watching him play. Here's something I always wondered about. He used bats with the signature "Momen Clemente". What does Momen mean?
http://www.post-gazette.com/pirates/...s/201208030220
Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Never knew that. I was hoping that Cesar Cedeno might be that kind of player -- he certainly had the tools -- but he was a self-destructive idiot.

Houston's franchise was decimated by the trade that created the Big Red Machine. Took them until 1980 to recover.

Bucs had some good teams. I remember the Mazeroski/Alley days... Pre-Wilver. They're poised to have some real success now.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
jw4591
Account Disabled

When I was little we always rode the train alot cause we rode free. Whenever the Yankees were in Cleveland my dad would take us to a game. My favorite Yankee was Bobby Richardson. I played alot of baseball after that and he is the reason I always liked playing the infield. Him and Maz. I love the city of Cleveland, even though they caught their river on fire.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Yssup Rider
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw4591 View Post
When I was little we always rode the train alot cause we rode free. Whenever the Yankees were in Cleveland my dad would take us to a game. My favorite Yankee was Bobby Richardson. I played alot of baseball after that and he is the reason I always liked playing the infield. Him and Maz. I love the city of Cleveland, even though they caught their river on fire.
They gots some decent corned beef there, I tell you what! And the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! Always a great day when you go there.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
jw4591
Account Disabled

I remember Vic Power playing 1st base for the Indians against the Yankees that year. Damn, I'm old. Once when we were at Forbes Field for a game, we had good box seats behind the Buc's 1st base dugout. I was really a little kid, during batting practice alot of the Brave's players were walking in front uf us, I remember saying "Dad, there's Lou Burdett". My dad almost shit, he turned me into a ballplayer after that. He knew I loved the game.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
bambino
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29

Quote:
I was gonna reply to the Big Ben thread but it's closed. Who were some of the best football players yinz seen when you was a little kid? Either at a game or just on TV. I'm prolly older than most of yinz but got a great memory. Let's include Baseball too. Never went to many football games when I was little, only 2 actually. We weren't blessed with alot of money, but my dad took us when he could. We went to many baseball games at Forbes Field. My 1st football game was Pitt vs Navy, Roger Staubach was QB for Navy. Bam can you name the QB for Pitt?
Was it Frankie Gustine? One of my golf buddies played on that Pitt team. He said the hardest hit he ever took was when Larry Csonka trucked him. Saw So many great players over the years. Dorsett is still the best college player I saw in person. Clemente in baseball, Connie Hawkins in BB, Lemiuex in hockey. I'm suprised Yssup mentioned Alley/Maz combo. They may still hold the single season double play record. And Stargell played LF on that team. Stargell was a stud then. Big and athletic. He also possessed a great arm. He ran into the brick wall several times. The 70 Steelers? Which one was the best? Who can say. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the King, Arnold Palmer. I was a marshal at the 93 US Open at Oakmont. I was standing on the 18th fairway as he made his final walk there. Not a dry eye in the gallery. Including mine. That was special. I also followed Jack Nicklaus on his final 2 holes at Augusta. The Indy 500 is an awesome event to see as is a World Cup downhill race. Those fuckin guys are nuts. JW, tell Yssup Goerge Blanda is from your hood.
bambino is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
jw4591
Account Disabled

Yes, yessup. my office is on George Blanda Blvd. Back to Lou Burdette, he pitched against Harvey Haddix in 1959 when Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings, only to lose in the 13th. I remember that game. Bam, who hit the home run in the 13th inning to win it for the Braves but never got credit for it cause Hank Aaron fucked up?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
jw4591
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambino View Post
Was it Frankie Gustine?
Fred Mazurek
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #13
bambino
Valued Poster

Encounters: 29

Quote:
Yes, yessup. my office is on George Blanda Blvd. Back to Lou Burdette, he pitched against Harvey Haddix in 1959 when Haddix pitched 12 perfect innings, only to lose in the 13th. I remember that game. Bam, who hit the home run in the 13th inning to win it for the Braves but never got credit for it cause Hank Aaron fucked up?
Was it Eddie Matthews? Just I guess. I forgot to mention Dick Groat. Maybe the best athlete from WPa, never saw him play, you prolly did tho. I watched Tommy Clements play both football and BB growing up. The original Doug Flutie. He could have played both sports at Notre Dame. He was a phenom but small. He won a NC for the Irish and a Grey Cup trophy in Canada. Another great QB from WPa.
bambino is offline   Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
jw4591
Account Disabled

Bam, Joe Adcock hit the homer in the 13th. Felix Mantilla scored the winning run, Hank Aaron just went to the dugout instead of crossing the plate behind him so Joe only got credited with a double.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
jw4591
Account Disabled

Eddie Matthews was a great 3rd baseman

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women