Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70696
biomed162434
Yssup Rider60261
gman4453222
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48405
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41317
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35745
Mojojo33117

Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Tara Evans
Account Disabled

User ID: 679
My ECCIE Reviews
Default Myth or Fact?

If you walk outside barefoot will you get a cold? As long as i could remember my parents always told me to put shoes on before I walked outside so I wouldn't catch a cold. Never listened, I know hard headed, and then I would be at the doctor with a cold. So is it a myth or a fact?
Tara Evans is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
bikerkid82
Gaining Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Evans View Post
If you walk outside barefoot will you get a cold? As long as i could remember my parents always told me to put shoes on before I walked outside so I wouldn't catch a cold. Never listened, I know hard headed, and then I would be at the doctor with a cold. So is it a myth or a fact?
absolute myth. the ONLY thing that can cause a cold is the cold virus itself.
bikerkid82 is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Saturn
Valued Poster

Encounters: 4

Mostly Myth. It’s true that a cold only come form cold viruses - but cold temperatures have ways of suppressing an immune system response. so Hence in the winter when it’s the "cold season". It’s not that cold temperature gives you a cold virus -, just makes you more susceptible to catch a cold virus.
Saturn is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
travelling_man
Valued Poster

Encounters: 31
My ECCIE Reviews

Maybe just the act of keeping things covered might help prevent picking it up in the first place. Is the cold virus transmitted airborne or through touch? I'm not a doctor but I'd have to guess that if you went outside wrapped in a plastic bubble it would help keep you from picking up germs, so maybe wearing shoes, jacket, covering your head, wearing earmuffs, etc is the next best thing.
travelling_man is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #5
looiecypher
Account Disabled

Encounters: 94

Myth.A study done by a University in london proved that cold ,damp temperatures do not contribute to catching a cold.Except for the fact that many of us will stay indoors in a heated building with recycled air which can cause the cold virus to multiply faster.In cold air the virus does not multiple as quickly.
During the study they had volunteers sleep on cold .wet concrete floors and others sleep in warm rooms with beds.Those sleeping in the cold rooms did not catch the common cold where those in the warm rooms did.
looiecypher is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
wellendowed1911
Account Disabled

Encounters: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerkid82 View Post
absolute myth. the ONLY thing that can cause a cold is the cold virus itself.
Yes that's true- learned that in my Pharmacology class and also the myth if it's raining and cold outside and you don't go out with anything covering your head you will catch a cold- again total myth.
wellendowed1911 is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

The only possible influence that walking barefoot might have would be to lower your general immunity.

Lot's of the common things that people think of as leading to the catching of a cold -- being out in very cold weather, not getting out of wet clothes, etc., probably have some basis in fact. But their basis is indirect. Doing those sort of uncomfortable and silly things may make it more likely you will catch the cold, but only by reducing the effectiveness of your immune system. Of course, the best theory on why colds are more prevalent in the winter is not the cold weather, but that people spend more time indoors.

But I would imagine that enough exposure to enough cold would weaken your immune system. Same with going barefoot if it were very cold. But I would suspect that the affect would be very small.
TexTushHog is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
oleguy
Lifetime Premium Access

Encounters: 5

Sometime I would like to get in the head of Tara. That girl comes up with the strangest things to ask.
oleguy is offline   Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #9
Tara Evans
Account Disabled

User ID: 679
My ECCIE Reviews

I'm sorry thats just how my brain works.
Tara Evans is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
PODarkness
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

I think this myth comes from pre-microscope man not knowing the difference between pneumonia, colds, viruses, germs, etc. Pneumonia is possible, colds are not, unless my grandmother was just passing on anther myth.
PODarkness is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
caliente
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

There is a theory that your throat maybe colonized by viruses that don't have enough numbers to cause disease, but they are there (like staph in skin). The problem is that when you lower the temperature the virus has a better enviroment to reproduce and if it reaches the critical mass it can produce disease.

It is usually a rotavirus or a respiratory sicitial virus, not an influenza virus...

imo
caliente is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Texas Contrarian
Lifetime Premium Access

Can cold feet compromise your immune system enough to significantly increase your risk of catching a cold?

Apparently some researchers believe so:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Infectio...URItheFlu/2136

http://www.how-come.net/2009/08/17/d...-catch-a-cold/

Note, however, that these subjects' feet were subjected to some rather uncomfortable temperatures.
Texas Contrarian is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
Juan Pablo de Marco
El Mariachi

Encounters: 165

hell, when i was just a little bitty baby de marco, mama de marco always told me if i touched her houseplants... they would DIE. don't know how old i was when i realized she was lyin' to me.

me thinks the 'don't go outside barefoot' thing mommas always told was because they didn't want your dirty ass feet tramping back in the house.

JPdM
Juan Pablo de Marco is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
PODarkness
Valued Poster

Encounters: 13

Juan,
you are a sly one.

Nice sig line.
PODarkness is offline   Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
69er
Lifetime Premium Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Mostly Myth. It’s true that a cold only come form cold viruses - but cold temperatures have ways of suppressing an immune system response. so Hence in the winter when it’s the "cold season". It’s not that cold temperature gives you a cold virus -, just makes you more susceptible to catch a cold virus.
This is true because catching a cold, requires being in contact with a cold virus. The cold virus actually does not survive as long a period of time in the cold. The other factor is that our immune system and immune response are not quite as good when subjected to cold temperatures.

So, if you don't want to catch a cold, don't subject yourself to a cold virus! LOL.

Although, you can do many common things to protect yourself. The cold virus is most easily caught through contact of mucous membranes. So, try not to touch your eyes with your hands. Wash your hands more often. Use Soap. Water doesn't kill bacteria, soap does. This won't help with Viruses, as viruses are not killed by soap, so the act of washing your hands helps because you are mechanically rubbing the virus off your skin, and washing it down the drain.

Cold viruses will be at the places people touch most. Doornobs, handles, keyboards, mice, cell phones, are all good places that are more likely to be "hot" with viruses. Use something like a clorox wipe on these things every once in a while. Other cleansers that say they are effective against viruses will work, but be sure to read the label and follow the directions. Many state they must be sprayed onto the surface and allowed to stay for a minute or more.

Wash your food, even things like oranges that you plan to peel and eat. The act of cutting through the skin, or handling the orange can transfer viruses and bacteria from the outside to the inside. (Imagine how many people might have touched that orange in the grocery... That's why you want to wash it!) Use a cleaner meant for cleaning vegetables, or use a very mild solution of bleach and water, use a teaspoon of bleach in a gallon of water, and soak for 5 minutes. A little quicker is to use one part white vinegar or lemon juice, and 3 parts water. Put in a spray bottle that you keep on your counter. spray an apple or orange to wet it well, about 6 sprays, rub around with your hands (This is also sanitizing your hands quite nicely...) and rinse under running water. One study I saw said this procedure was not necessary for things like lettuce that are difficult to clean, as a good clean water rinse removes about 98% of contaminants.

In the end, you can lessen your chances by taking some precautions. Since nobody wants to live like the "boy in the bubble" at some point you just have to take your chances, and hope that your immune system will ward off the few baddies you come into contact with. At some point you will lose the battle, and catch a cold. Then continue to take the precautions, as this will help those around you from catching your cold. Some things are just not meant to be shared!
69er is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women