Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Sandbox - National
test
The Sandbox - National The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 261
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70672
biomed162325
Yssup Rider60190
gman4453216
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48375
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41219
CryptKicker37176
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2
Default Pictorlism

I've recently discovered the work of William Mortensen, purchased a couple of his books from the '30s on posing and lighting, and read a little bit about the controversy that surrounded him.

Two subjects that bring out controversy here at eccie are the use of photoshop and politics. This guy was essentially doing "photoshop" by hand in the 1930's, and on the political side was labeled as "The Anti-Christ" by none other than Ansel Adams, who made ruining Mortensen one of his life's goals.

There truly is an tide to the affairs of men. Long after both men are dead and Mortensen largely forgotten, buried by Adams and his followers, the digital age is making a revival of his style of "pictoralism" a permanent part of the world of photography.

Some of his photographs are very elegant, and sensual, and don't look like photographs at all.

http://www.google.com/search?q=willi...w=1680&bih=904
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
I B Hankering
Valued Poster

Encounters: 9

Did Mortensen’s depiction of nudes have anything to do with the artistic differences, since Adams is known primarily for his landscapes? Some of Mortensen’s work is eerily similar to Goya’s.
I B Hankering is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B Hankering View Post
Did Mortensen’s depiction of nudes have anything to do with the artistic differences, since Adams is known primarily for his landscapes? Some of Mortensen’s work is eerily similar to Goya’s.
I think Adams also did people, at least some portraits, but not sure about nudes. Adams and his followers (known as the f64 group) were "purists", or at least presented themselves as such, discouraging manipulation of photos or using them for anything other than "realism". There are still those who claim film is the only "true" photography. A few years ago an old geezer at the bar in El Paso got all over my case for switching to digital, he bragged that Adams had allowed him to use his mobile dark room once etc.

It's interesting, in my very limited readings on art, that the "impressionist" movement started in order to try to differentiate painting from the new fangeled photography that was quickly taking over the "realist" role in imaging. They even "cropped" their paintings analogous to the way a camera crops a scene. Then you have Mortensen, trying to take it the other way by making photos more like drawings or paintings.

Adams "won" because he's probably the most widely known photographer in the world today and succeeded in convincing most publications and galleries to boycott Mortensen. But digital manipulation is now at least as common, if not more so than "pure" photography, with people doing things Mortensen could only dream about.

The simple fact is that both made great contributions, it' s too bad professional politics suppressed the Mortensen school for so long. Art, like many things in art isn't (or shouldn't be) "all or nothing".

I've enjoyed photography as a hobby for a few decades now, but I have to say I also love playing on the computer after the fact. Photoshop is Phunn!

Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
dilbert firestorm
Premium Access

Encounters: 4

fyi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Mortensen

he died of luekemia
dilbert firestorm is offline   Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
TheDaliLama
Valued Poster