Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Austin > The Sandbox - Austin
The Sandbox - Austin The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 645
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 388
Harley Diablo 373
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 269
George Spelvin 256
sharkman29 253
Top Posters
DallasRain70573
biomed161730
Yssup Rider60189
gman4453130
LexusLover51038
WTF48267
offshoredrilling48105
pyramider46370
bambino40912
CryptKicker37147
Mokoa36488
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35624
Mojojo33117

Old 05-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
stikiwikit
Valued Poster

Encounters: 56
Default viruses

Not the sex kind but the computer kind. My contract with Norton is expiring real soon and I wonder if there are better products out there. Consumer Reports of about 2 yiears ago placed Nortor and McAfee at the bottom of their list. The one they reccommend is out of the US and not too user friendly.

Thanks
stikiwikit is offline   Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Killeeninformer2
Valued Poster

Encounters: 48

Honestly microsoft security essentials is all you really need for everyday browsing. Just make sure you have adblockplus on your browser along with. Probably ghostery as well if you like to download torrents.

The absolute safest bet would be to set up a VM for your risky browsing, so if you get a virus or visit anything unkosher you can just delete it and start over. But like I said: Microsoft Secutity Essentials is more than enough for most peoples needs.
Killeeninformer2 is offline   Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

The following are all good free tools for keeping the computer clean and free of malicious code as well as other nasty stuff.

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Revo Uninstaller

Avast! Antivirus

Zone Alarm Firewall

These are what I have been using for years. With these tools I have never had any malicious code cripple or otherwise have any effect on my Windows system. Also, the database updates for Avast! and Malwarebytes are free as well.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
ExxxcessivE
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 2

Avast (Free Version) will handle 80% of pesky intrusions/virus/trojans before they ever take hold.
Malwarebytes (free version) for the rest that get past Avast screening and are difficult to remove.
ADblock (and similar) are good to keep some of those re-directing ads from taking over your browser and giving you those fake "YOUR PC HAS A VIRUS!!! CALL THIS NUMBER TO REMOVE IT!!" Bullcrap. Check the reviews for the browser(s) you use the most.
ExxxcessivE is offline   Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
Killeeninformer2
Valued Poster

Encounters: 48

I'm thinking of posting a short guide on setting up VMs and other computer security tips. Would anyone be interested? Personally I think every hobbyist and provider should be running all hobby related activities via VM.
Killeeninformer2 is offline   Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
stikiwikit
Valued Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did not have Microsoft SE, thought I did and downloaded it. Ran it and it picked up two Trojans. I already have CCleaner and Malwarebytes ( paid version). I will get along on SE until I decide which to buy.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
new2atxs
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeeninformer2 View Post
I'm thinking of posting a short guide on setting up VMs and other computer security tips. Would anyone be interested? Personally I think every hobbyist and provider should be running all hobby related activities via VM.
I'm running win 10 and linux on Hyper-v for risky sites
new2atxs is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
nuglet
Valued Poster

Encounters: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killeeninformer2 View Post
I'd love to know how to set up a VPN, I understand it's an inexpensive, and supposedly simple process, but never having been exposed to that tech, I don't have a clue how to set it up.. or use it.
nuglet is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
stikiwikit
Valued Poster

Not that I know so much about it, and had never heard of it till this posting, I see that Microsoft has its own VM. I don't know though how to evaluate it.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #10
nuglet
Valued Poster

I'm guessing "VM" isn't the same as "VPN" = virtual private network".. but then , I'm clueless on this matter
Old 06-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
stikiwikit
Valued Poster

I have been told that VM means "virtual maching" and the way I look at it, it is a computer within your computer and if anything goes wrong you can just eliminate it. Right, Kileeninformer?
Old 06-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
Mokoa
The Mod In Black®

Encounters: 4

VM = Virtual Machine.

It is software that simulates hardware. The idea first started back in the 60's on IBM mainframes. Today there is software that you can use to run other operating systems on a computer.

Here are a couple of them...

VMWare

Virtual Box

On my Windows 7 system I have used Virtual Box to run other windows systems, a variety Linux systems and even Android.
Mokoa is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #13
nuglet
Valued Poster

Mac has that.. built in, it's called "boot camp", but I run an Imac and have both Windows and IOS running at the same time instead of booting in one or the other.. in a program called "Parallels" . VPN is different, you can "fake" a network so you don't get spam, email, virus infectations etc.. at least that's the way I understand it. I never log on to the internet with Windows, due to bots and spam, but with IOS it's 90% less, although not completely impervious..
Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #14
tron
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikiwikit View Post
I will get along on SE until I decide which to buy.
I have been using Windows Defender (basically the same thing as SE) on Windows 10 for around 8 months. I downloaded AVG's demo last week and ran a full scan. It didn't find anything. At this point, I am going to stick with Defender.

If you have Time Warner or AT&T for internet service, you probably get a free version of some anti-virus software as part of the deal.

If you use shared directories to copy files between PCs, some of the anti-virus software makes it a lot more difficult.
tron is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #15
goobersnotch
BANNED

windows defender (the crap that comes with windows 10) + chrome + adblockplus + not clicking on obvious virus download links = you'll be fine.
goobersnotch is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women