Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 391
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 264
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70708
biomed162527
Yssup Rider60359
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48436
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41503
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35872
Mojojo33117

Old 07-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47
Default Thank God for unions!!

Link to thread: http://thedailywtf.com/Articles/Dead-Mans-Switch.aspx
---------------------------------------
"This is how you set up the monitoring?" Shawn G. looked down at the system in disbelief. There was a watchdog connected to a power relay to ensure that it was always running. The power relay sat right next to the power switch in a sealed environmental enclosure.

Oh well, Shawn thought, this is what I'm here to work on. I'll get this set up right. He reached into the dark enclosure for the power switch to reboot the system. And missed the switch.

Instead, he grabbed the relay contact, jumped back from the system yelling a word or two that would make a sailor blush, and waved his throbbing hand around. One of his colleagues, arms aflail, ran around yelling "SAFETY OFFICER!"

As Shawn sat there, rubbing his hand, he noticed the cover for the power relay sitting comfortably on a nearby table — he wasn't sure why it wasn't on the relay, but it explained the jolt. Finally the safety officer was on the scene, spreading yellow tape and warning signs, marking each individual outlet and power switch with safety tags. He sent Shawn to the staff nurse, gave him the workman's comp paperwork, and an official incident report form.

The following week Shawn was summoned to a meeting with the safety commission — a humorless, perpetually frowning group that was clearly not happy about the incident. The room seemed as though it was designed to intimidate Shawn. He'd sit opposite the group in a beat-up chair that sat directly under a bright light. It was beginning to feel more like an interrogation than a meeting.

Of course, Shawn was feeling confident. They couldn't come after him for getting hurt by trying to turn on a computer since someone left electrical components exposed.

Unamusedly, a committee member spoke up. "Do you have any authority under union regulations to operate power equipment?"

Shawn thought and chose his words carefully. "No, I don't have that authority, but I am allowed to operate a power switch on a computer."

"Ah," one of the committe said while trying to grin, "but it is a power switch, and therefore it is power equipment, which falls under the electrical trades union agreement." The others similarly tried to grin, satisfied that they'd avoided a lawsuit that day.

"It is therefore the finding of this committee that you have violated your authority under union regulations." How dare Shawn try to use the power switch without proper authorization? "A safety violation will be recorded on your permanent record."

That's where Shawn got freaked out a little. Burn his Social Security card, tear up his high school diploma, ruin his credit score, but God help him if there's another blemish on his permanent record! He still has to live with the last incident that had gone on his permanent record, when he made fart sounds with his armpit during class in the second grade.

Shawn kept his copy of the incident report and swore to himself that he wouldn't let something like this happen again. That afternoon he grabbed a stack of work order forms and filled one out.

********* WORK ORDER FORM *********

Employee Name: Shawn G. Work Date: 05/13/2008 5:00 PM
Work Performed By: Electrical Trade Union
Action Requested:

Please shut down my computer when I'm ready to leave for
the day.

Shawn urged his colleagues to do the same — after all, they're not authorized. Gradually, more and more people joined in and work orders were opened for the electrical union faster than they could be signed. The staff needed computers turned on and off, light switches toggled, fans plugged in and unplugged, coffee makers turned on, radios turned off, pencils sharpened (though analog sharpeners were OK).

It didn't take long for Shawn to get summoned to the director's office. "Funny thing, Shawn," he began with a forced smile. "Seems your safety citation got lost somewhere in the system, so your file is clean. Aside from that fart noise thing." As Shawn was about to turn around and leave, the director added, "if you don't mind, could you let people know that they can stop filing work orders for every power switch."

The following month everyone became responsible for small electronics. And they didn't even have to go through an equipment training session!
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
slowmover
Premium Access

Encounters: 54

What is the point of this? It is old,unsubstantiated, and designed to inflame. LL, 5 posts today and one that earned you a reprimand. Take a break, relax. See a provider, I can recommend several that will help you take the edge off.
slowmover is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
cookie man
Premium Access

Encounters: 13

Yes I love onions!
cookie man is offline   Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Lust4xxxLife
Valued Poster

Encounters: 2

Thanks for posting. Unions are just one more motivation to send American jobs offshore and/or to hire illegal immigrants. The Union mentality is one of entitlement and that era is long gone.
Lust4xxxLife is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #5
demsrsb
Valued Poster

Encounters: 15

Yes, alot of people bash unions. Without any unions, companies will continue to pay workers less with fewer and fewer benefits.
I think, on balance, America is better for their existence.
demsrsb is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Hobbyfun
Lifetime Premium Access

At one time unions were great BUT now most of them have over stepped they bounds, I don't begrudge anybody for making as must money as they can but most people in unions do not and will not work very hard this I know from experience.

Take the car industry GM payers they workers about $60.00 per hour with benefit's they is no way they are worth half that money, think about it this way they show up work they 8 are 10 hours and go home, GM trains them to do they little part and mostly that's all they know nothing else.

If you look at the USA as a whole you will find they is a lot of people that work harder, long and with more skills for a lot less money.

I was in the union 30 years ago and was make great money but the union decided to go on strike for more money and most shops shut down and reopened NON UNION. That's when I GOT out. The lazy people would not work and could not get fired because of the union, You could not do something if it was not in your work scope even if you knew how to do it and some times you would have to wait 2-6 hour waiting on somebody else to do a 5 are 10 minute job and THAT BS no work ethic's and to me being lazy. If something needs to be done and you can are know how to do it then DO IT.

Why do you think jobs are going overseas union pay is to high and other countries is building things cheaper.

As for the union if you work someplace and you don't like the pay then leave and when a company don't have anybody to build they product they will start paying better are they will have to close down.

Most places that are union could replace they work force today for half the price they are paying now and get a better work force that is willing to work and not bitch about what they have to do.

I know people that work at different places
Airline - cleaning planes, baggage handlers, $28.00
GM line assembler $39.50
Railroad spike driver $32.00
Beer Brewer turns valves watches bottles $29.50

This is just base pay then they have benefits on top of this
and all these people are unskilled.

And people wounder whey America is so far in the toilet.
Hobbyfun is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
LazurusLong
Valued Poster

Encounters: 47

Guys.

It's a fucking joke!! In the sandbox for a reason!

If you don't like it, move on to the next joke thread.

slowmover, I've been laid both before and after I posted this so go cyber stalk and count someone else's posting.
LazurusLong is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
bigbobftworth
Account Disabled

Encounters: 8

Unions suck, plain and simple, look at our manufacturing sector of the economy. If unions are so good, then why are our manufacturing groups moving operations to foreign countries? So that these companies can be price competitive. Unions were needed not so much to help with wages, but to insure a safe working environment. The unions broke General Motors, and so many employees lost their jobs. And so people tell me unions are good? I dont get it.
bigbobftworth is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
yaddayadda
Valued Poster

Encounters: 35

There is nothing wrong with Collective Bargaining agreements between labor and management. If a factory is unsafe or if the workers do not comply with rules...then there is an understanding.....HOWEVER national unions such as the UAW or Teamsters are corrupt by nature. The union has too much power over any single entity, thus the bloated pay and benefits which force the company to be non competitive. If management calls all the shots (see Wall Street for example) then executives are overpaid for doing little real work, other than moving paper around.
Power must be balanced, risk must be shared or nothing can be done well or economically.
yaddayadda is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
crunchtime
Valued Poster

Encounters: 37

There are three things that are wrong in our country.
Unions
Politicians
Wall Street
Guess where that leaves us
crunchtime is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #11
meatwad
Gaining Momentum

Hobbyfun
A GM assembly line worker makes about 28.00 base rate. Worked for them 30 yrs. If you think it's an easy job step up to the line and hang 400 rear axles a day.
meatwad is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28

Unions are organized thuggery ! If they don't get what they want (thru collective bargaining) they maime, burn, destory.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women