Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > The Political Forum
test
The Political Forum Discuss anything related to politics in this forum. World politics, US Politics, State and Local.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 273
George Spelvin 263
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70685
biomed162390
Yssup Rider60218
gman4453217
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48392
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41270
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35681
Mojojo33117

Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

Encounters: 28
Default WHAT ARE THE SAUDI'S UP TO ?

Are they trying to destroy the US shale oil industry?

With world oil prices at four year lows; OPEC isn't cutting back on production to drive up world pricing.

It is generally believed that the US shale oil industry needs oil priced above $90/b to be feasible.

Saudis, the hinge producer of OPEC, haven’t so far cut production to keep the price propped up as they have in the past. To the contrary, according to Walter Russell Mead the Saudis are offering price discounts to preserve their market share.

What are they up to?

Are they trying to squeeze domestic oil producers out of the market?
Oil company analysts at Credit Suisse ran a scenario last month looking at the effect of sustained $70 oil on American drillers. They found that “upstream growth momentum would quickly deflate,” with 11% fewer wells completed.
Whirlaway is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
timpage
Account Disabled

Trying to maintain and maximize profits by undercutting competition? AKA capitalism?
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

My kind of capitalism is against industries conspiring with each other to fix prices (high or low).......you know, like OPEC.

But you saying that's Ok, I guess.

Why are you such a dumbed down reactionary?
Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
i'va biggen
Account Disabled

Encounters: 17

Was a attack on Russian currency till China stepped in.
i'va biggen is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Encounters: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpage View Post
Trying to maintain and maximize profits by undercutting competition? AKA capitalism?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlaway View Post
My kind of capitalism is against industries conspiring with each other to fix prices (high or low).......you know, like OPEC.

Actually, Tim is right on this one.

They are not "fixing" prices low. You need cooperation (i.e., production cuts) with other countries in order to "fix" the price per barrel at a high rate.

But you don't need to "fix" prices low. You just unilaterally cut your prices.

There are some antitrust issues if you drive a competitor out of business by cutting prices so low that even you lose money.

But if the Saudis aren't losing money - if they can sell for $75 per barrel and still make money - then that is fair competition. They have ZERO obligation to look out for the welfare of other producers, including American ones.

If the price of oil was artificially inflated to $100 per barrel by cartel arrangements and that artificially high price allowed the American fracking industry to come into existence, then the fracking industry has served a good purpose by smashing the cartel.

But that doesn't mean American fracking operations have to be artificially kept alive by deliberately inflated prices..
Guest032516 is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
SEE3772
Valued Poster

Encounters: 7

Funding Al Qaeda... / ISIS / ISIL / IS / ...
Our friends!
SEE3772 is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
timpage
Account Disabled

Quote:

I'm the reactionary? Read the string again....starting with your OP. Half wit. You're against what the Saudi Arabians are doing because they are the Saudi Arabians. If you think US industries don't fix prices in an effort to gain and maintain market share, you're either a barely functioning idiot or you are posting from Mars.
timpage is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

I wasn't disagreeing with Tim's assertion that the Saudi's were acting rationally. Just wondering why they are letting prices fall. Historically, OPEC reacts quickly to falling prices and cuts production. But not in this case.

I disagree (with Timmy's implied dismissive) that the OPEC practice of dictating world oil prices (high or low) thru collusion is an acceptable kind of capitalism. And make no mistake, the falling prices are sign of turmoil within OPEC. If it results in a breakup of OPEC all the better, but I doubt it.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with Tim's assertion that the Saudi's were acting rationally. Just wondering why they are letting prices fall. Historically, OPEC reacts quickly to falling prices and cuts production. But not in this case.
The Saudis are cutting prices because they don't have a choice in the matter.

In the past, OPEC members could fix prices at high levels because there were no real alternatives to their product.

The US producers aren't part of OPEC. And US production is increasing rapidly.

So if OPEC cuts production to maintain $100 per barrel, the US producers pick up the slack by slightly undercutting them ($95) and OPEC members lose market share. US produces then produce even more and take even more market share.

The Saudis have to stanch the bleeding by cutting prices so there is no incentive to switch to US and other non-OPEC sources.

They are behaving rationally.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
Whirlaway
Account Disabled

The Saudi's aren't "cutting prices" .....the price is set by world supply and demand.

And they do have a choice. They can cut production....there isn't a glut of oil production in the world. So the Saudi's (and yes, OPEC) can manipulate pricing thru production.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
lustylad
BANNED

Encounters: 9

I bet the Saudis are asking the same question... "What's the US up to?" letting its fracking/shale industry flood the market and drive down world oil prices?

Of course, we're not really flooding the market. We're just replacing imports with domestic production, thereby freeing up oil supplies for OPEC to sell elsewhere. Our imports peaked at 12.55 million barrels per day in 2005. Today they are running at around 7.5 million bpd and dropping fast.
lustylad is offline   Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Guest032516
Account Disabled

Quote:
The Saudi's aren't "cutting prices" .....the price is set by world supply and demand.
Plainly not true. That is what the whole point of the article it. Or didn't you read it?

The Saudis are willing to go as low as $80 per barrel to keep US producers from producing more and steal market share back..

That's cutting prices, right?

You need to reduce supply in order to maintain an artificially high price. If the producers don't all agree to reduce supply, then someone gets stuck holding oil they cannot sell at the high price.

But you don't have to do that to lower prices. You simply cut price and when you get more buyers, you increase your output to pick up the extra market share.

Quote:
And they do have a choice. They can cut production....there isn't a glut of oil production in the world. So the Saudi's (and yes, OPEC) can manipulate pricing thru production.
If that was true, then why are they even considering cutting prices? You are now directly contradicting the article.

If OPEC cuts production, prices may rise temporarily, but then the US producers will pump more and more to pick up the slack and more market share and bring the price back down.

The Saudis will end up with a few more dollars per barrel in the short term, but far less barrels overall in both the short term and the long term. Their total revenue will be down. That doesn't help their situation.

Which is why they are finally confronting reality. We may be seeing the end of OPEC.

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women