Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Houston > The Sandbox - Houston
test
The Sandbox - Houston The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 396
Harley Diablo 377
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 278
George Spelvin 265
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70775
biomed163105
Yssup Rider60754
gman4453284
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48615
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino42431
CryptKicker37208
The_Waco_Kid36888
Mokoa36493
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
Mojojo33117

Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 AM   #46
Guest123018-4
Account Disabled

Encounters: 1

I am an owner in a SCorp. We provide healthcare insurance to all of our employees at no cost to them including full family coverage. I am well aware of the high cost of insurance. I am also aware that the cost of insurance has not gone down and will not go gown as a result of the ACA. I am also well aware of the increased burden on businesses as a result of the ACA. I am also aware of the increased burden and the resultant cost increases of medical practitioners to cover the added cost to them for thee ACA. I am also aware that the ACA is written for increased government, increased government control, and increased cost to the taxpayer. The very limited number of people that can afford to purchase insurance or pay the fine will in no way offset the number of people that cannot afford insurance and will be provided under taxpayer subsidy to them for free.

The fact is, if you would like to go back to the type of medical care we had in the late 40s or early 50s we could reduce the cost tremendously. As a people, we have created advancements in medicne that would have been scienc fiction less than a half century ago. The vast majoirty of which is not cheap. If we could find ways to cut the government where it is not needed, then maybe we could do something about making medicne less expensive for all. We could start by eliminating most, or limiting, medical malpractice suits.
Guest123018-4 is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #47
TransAm
Account Disabled

Encounters: 31

Here's my deal about this, take it for what it's worth. I have no faith in the insurance industry. This is an industry that, by its business model, HAS to fuck over its customers to maximize profits. I worked as a legislative aide in the Texas Senate during the period when they were debating and passing MedMal Tort Reform. The argument was that doctors were fleeing Texas because the high cost of malpractice insurance was forcing them out of business, and that if you capped the payouts on malpractice cases, it would result in lower premiums. Everybody KNEW it was an outright lie. First, there was no actual evidence that significant numbers of doctors WERE fleeing the state. Second, premiums weren't going to go down, and as we see today, they're higher than ever before. The ONLY people that got fucked were actual victims of medical malpractice, and the lawyers that used to take on those cases. Nowadays, if your doctor fucks up in Texas, good luck even finding a lawyer that will take the case, because by and large, it costs more than the $750,000 you're eligible to receive just to litigate it.

I'm a solo practicing lawyer, 33, don't smoke, and I've been turned down for individual coverage 3 times in the last few years because I once had a kidney stone. At least that's what they SAY. I'm operating on blind luck at this point, if I get seriously sick or injured, I'm screwed.

And even when you HAVE good insurance, it doesn't necessarily save you. Two years ago my parents were Tboned by a kid that was texting and driving causing him to completely ignore a red light. My mom spent 100 days in the hospital, and even now, 2 years later, she barely has any use of her right arm, and is still learning how to walk. The guy that hit them had an auto policy with a $30,000 limit on payout. The medical bills ran $260,000 in the first 6 days. (About $65,000 was their obligation to pay, after insurance and all of that - again, just for the first WEEK.) Now, the accident wasn't their fault, obviously, but the at-fault driver is basically judgment proof.

The problem isn't just insurance, it's also medical COSTS. It simply can't be the case that a financially upper middle class family can be injured through no fault of their own, HAVE good coverage, and still be ruined at the end of the day. That has to stop. There just aren't enough people walking around that have an extra $100,000 or more to spend in these situations.

While I don't love everything about the ACA, at least it's an attempt to change the equation. Again, just my take, feel free to take issue if you want.
TransAm is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #48
jbravo_123
Verified Member

Encounters: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The2Dogs View Post
We could start by eliminating most, or limiting, medical malpractice suits.
Really? So do you believe that when a doctor shows up drunk/high to deliver someone's child and causes permanent damage to the baby, there should be no recourse for the family?

Texas had already been extremely lax in policing physicians who do wrong to their patients and now with our current medical malpractice damage caps, providers are allowed to worry even less about what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm View Post
Here's my deal about this, take it for what it's worth. I have no faith in the insurance industry. This is an industry that, by its business model, HAS to fuck over its customers to maximize profits. I worked as a legislative aide in the Texas Senate during the period when they were debating and passing MedMal Tort Reform. The argument was that doctors were fleeing Texas because the high cost of malpractice insurance was forcing them out of business, and that if you capped the payouts on malpractice cases, it would result in lower premiums. Everybody KNEW it was an outright lie. First, there was no actual evidence that significant numbers of doctors WERE fleeing the state. Second, premiums weren't going to go down, and as we see today, they're higher than ever before. The ONLY people that got fucked were actual victims of medical malpractice, and the lawyers that used to take on those cases. Nowadays, if your doctor fucks up in Texas, good luck even finding a lawyer that will take the case, because by and large, it costs more than the $750,000 you're eligible to receive just to litigate it.

I'm a solo practicing lawyer, 33, don't smoke, and I've been turned down for individual coverage 3 times in the last few years because I once had a kidney stone. At least that's what they SAY. I'm operating on blind luck at this point, if I get seriously sick or injured, I'm screwed.

And even when you HAVE good insurance, it doesn't necessarily save you. Two years ago my parents were Tboned by a kid that was texting and driving causing him to completely ignore a red light. My mom spent 100 days in the hospital, and even now, 2 years later, she barely has any use of her right arm, and is still learning how to walk. The guy that hit them had an auto policy with a $30,000 limit on payout. The medical bills ran $260,000 in the first 6 days. (About $65,000 was their obligation to pay, after insurance and all of that - again, just for the first WEEK.) Now, the accident wasn't their fault, obviously, but the at-fault driver is basically judgment proof.

The problem isn't just insurance, it's also medical COSTS. It simply can't be the case that a financially upper middle class family can be injured through no fault of their own, HAVE good coverage, and still be ruined at the end of the day. That has to stop. There just aren't enough people walking around that have an extra $100,000 or more to spend in these situations.

While I don't love everything about the ACA, at least it's an attempt to change the equation. Again, just my take, feel free to take issue if you want.
Pretty much this. Also, another point of insurance is that everyone who has it believes they have good coverage. However, you're never going to know if your coverage is good or not until you actually have to use it for large expenses. When your insurance company declines a claim that they really should be paying and you have no recourse other than to go through an expensive lawsuit - that's when you really know if you have good insurance or not.

As for the ACA, while it's hardly going to solve any problems, it's an attempt at doing something. We all know the current system doesn't work. Sitting around doing nothing isn't going to solve the issue. It's sad that plenty of countries around the world (many European countries, Canada, etc.) have heathcare where their government, health insurance companies, and patients all work together to make things work while here in the US we're still caught in the "fuck the patient over" mentality.
jbravo_123 is offline   Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
Sarunga
Valued Poster

Encounters: 28

Very well said both of you...TransAm and jbravo....about medical COSTS. I need to find some bills about some of my costs...and if I do...I will get back to this with some facts and figures.

Very good discussion, BTW.
Sarunga is offline   Quote

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women