Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > General Interest > Diamonds and Tuxedos
test
Diamonds and Tuxedos Glamour, elegance, and sophistication. That's what it's all about here in ECCIE's newest forum which caters to those with expensive tastes, lavish lifestyles, and an appetite for upscale entertainment.

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70705
biomed162522
Yssup Rider60331
gman4453224
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48428
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41469
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35846
Mojojo33117

Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #46
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Encounters: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius View Post
It was just reported that "It is most likely that all three reactors fuel rods are exposed and are melting down."
From what I have read, that just means that those reactors are toast -- they can't be repaired - a lost reactor in a $35B+ disaster is little more than a rounding error. It doesn't imply that there is any current danger of the containment areas be breached.
pjorourke is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #47
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

Encounters: 2
My ECCIE Reviews

17 US crewmen were washed down. U.S. Ships are moving out and talk of prevailing winds are being discussed.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #48
charlestudor2005
Valued Poster

Encounters: 8

Likely NO ONE really knows the risk. Extra precautions are being taken, may not necessary, maybe to no avail.
charlestudor2005 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #49
Marcus Aurelius
Ambassador

My ECCIE Reviews

We have reactors in CA. http://www.energy.ca.gov/nuclear/california.html

And not least,,,....we have the Yellowstone Caldera. Which is full BTW because the ground has been rising for the last few years.
When it goes it's a mass extinction event.
So eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #50
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

The fact that so far, at least, casualties directly attributable to the nuclear plants are very low actually speaks volumes about the safety of these installations. A force that moved the entire planet's axis has not (at least yet), unleashed the spectre of Hanoi Jane's "China Syndrome".

If things don't get any worse (we all hope that is the case), then this disaster should be objectively seen as supporting the viability of nuclear power. If fear of 8.9 quakes stop nuclear development, then it should also stop hydro-electric development for fear of massive flooding. The cruel facts are that wind and solar just won't supply what's needed and the cost/benefit analysis still favors so called "fossil" fuels first, with nuclear running second.

How big a role did having reliable electrical energy available from these plants play in allowing the Japanese to build infrastructure etc. to handle the disaster as well as they have? Without modern industry and the power needed to run it, Japan would look a great deal like it did the last time a quake of this magnitude hit (circa 1200 I think), and the casualties would have been far, far more numerous.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #51
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

User ID: 59709

my god, i also just read the following article in CNN on how critical the situation remains in the next 24 hours.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12732015

From BBC: More from Japanese nuclear engineer Masashi Goto: He say that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide) fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, plutonium could be spread over an area up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The next 24 hours are critical, he says.
NinaBrooke is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #52
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
If things don't get any worse (we all hope that is the case), then this disaster should be objectively seen as supporting the viability of nuclear power. If fear of 8.9 quakes stop nuclear development, then it should also stop hydro-electric development for fear of massive flooding. The cruel facts are that wind and solar just won't supply what's needed and the cost/benefit analysis still favors so called "fossil" fuels first, with nuclear running second.
Word! Every energy source has downsides. Even the wind power, beloved of greens, kills birds and causes noise. Not to mention the fact that it offends Kennedys.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #53
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Here are some satelitte photos: I can`t find words to express this, its unbelievable
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...sunami.html?hp
Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #54
pjorourke
Valued Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose
Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #55
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaintliein View Post
The fact that so far, at least, casualties directly attributable to the nuclear plants are very low actually speaks volumes about the safety of these installations. A force that moved the entire planet's axis has not (at least yet), unleashed the spectre of Hanoi Jane's "China Syndrome".
I agree, but what about the long term effects? and the half life of these radiation? As was in Cernobyl? That is what is scary for me.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #56
Iaintliein
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasastri View Post
I agree, but what about the long term effects? and the half life of these radiation? As was in Cernobyl? That is what is scary for me.
Certainly these are valid concerns. Two things working in their favor are that a lot was learned from Cernobyl. . . and they're Japanese. If this mess doesn't get further out of hand they may yet be able to contain it. And if anyone can figure out a remediation program that works, it would be these folks.
Iaintliein is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #57
pjorourke
Valued Poster

Of course, the biggest difference between this and Chernobyl is that the Chernobyl reactor was built using carbon to slow down the excess neutrons not water as is used in the ones here. Carbon burns (which it did there creating a lot of the mess), water doesn't.

Then there is the whole issue of competent/trained operators - also sadly lacking at Chernobyl.

See also: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/03/14/...llowing-japan/
Old 03-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #58
NinaBrooke
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Of course, the biggest difference between this and Chernobyl is that the Chernobyl reactor was built using carbon to slow down the excess neutrons not water as is used in the ones here. Carbon burns (which it did there creating a lot of the mess), water doesn't.

Then there is the whole issue of competent/trained operators - also sadly lacking at Chernobyl.

See also: http://blog.heritage.org/2011/03/14/...llowing-japan/
Thanks for pointing this out to me. I knew that there are different forms of reactors in western/eastern countries but i didn`t know enough to see the difference. I do hope the decades of further experience - as Iantillain pointed out - and the newer technology does indeed make a difference. Lets hope for the best.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #59
Mazomaniac
Valued Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjorourke View Post
Of course, the biggest difference between this and Chernobyl is that the Chernobyl reactor was built using carbon to slow down the excess neutrons not water as is used in the ones here.
But what we do have in Japan is mixed oxide fuel containing plutonium. That wasn't an issue at either TMI or Chernobyl and it raises significantly greater difficulties in this situation.

Depending on how long it's been since those reactors were fueled, there's going to be significant quantities of Pu-239, Pu-240, PU-241 and even some heavier plutonium isotopes in that fuel. That stuff is significantly nastier than the uranium fuel we use. It's far more radioactive than uranium and requires constant cooling even after the reactor is shut down. If it's been a while since refueling there's going to be a decent amount of Pu-241 in there that will really make things a bitch.

Sadly, the crisis will be going on for months. Given the presence of plutonium in the fuel the cleanup is going to take ten to fifteen years and be significantly more complicated and costly than TMI.

Cheers,
Mazo.
Mazomaniac is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #60
pjorourke
Valued Poster

You are welcome Nina!

Despite all the roadblocks thrown in its path, nuclear power has come a long way since TMI. The US is far and away the largest producer of nuclear electricity (even though it is only 20% of our total power), followed by France -- where it is about 75% of all power.

You might also note: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear...tion_accidents
"Comparing the historical safety record of civilian nuclear energy with other forms of electrical generation, Ball, Roberts, and Simpson, the IAEA, and the Paul Scherrer Institute found in separate studies that during the period from 1970 to 1992, there were just 39 on-the-job deaths of nuclear power plant workers worldwide, while during the same time period, there were 6,400 on-the-job deaths of coal power plantnatural gas power plant workers and members of the general public caused by natural gas power plants, and 4,000 deaths of members of the general public caused by hydroelectric power plants.[11][12][13] In particular, coal power plants are estimated to kill 24,000 Americans per year, due to lung disease[14] as well as causing 40,000 heart attacks per year[15] in the United States. According to Scientific American, the average coal power plant emits more than 100 times as much radiation per year than a comparatively sized nuclear power plant in the form of toxic coal waste known as fly ash.[16]"

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women