Welcome to ECCIE, become a part of the fastest growing adult community. Take a minute & sign up!

Welcome to ECCIE - Sign up today!

Become a part of one of the fastest growing adult communities online. We have something for you, whether you’re a male member seeking out new friends or a new lady on the scene looking to take advantage of our many opportunities to network, make new friends, or connect with people. Join today & take part in lively discussions, take advantage of all the great features that attract hundreds of new daily members!

Go Premium

Go Back   ECCIE Worldwide > Texas > Dallas > The Sandbox - Dallas
test
The Sandbox - Dallas The Sandbox is a collection of off-topic discussions. Humorous threads, Sports talk, and a wide variety of other topics can be found here. If it's NOT an adult-themed topic, then it belongs here

Most Favorited Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Most Liked Images
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
  • Thumb
Top Reviewers
cockalatte 646
MoneyManMatt 490
Still Looking 399
samcruz 399
Jon Bon 389
Harley Diablo 375
honest_abe 362
DFW_Ladies_Man 313
Chung Tran 288
lupegarland 287
nicemusic 285
You&Me 281
Starscream66 274
George Spelvin 262
sharkman29 255
Top Posters
DallasRain70700
biomed162471
Yssup Rider60308
gman4453223
LexusLover51038
offshoredrilling48417
WTF48267
pyramider46370
bambino41388
CryptKicker37179
Mokoa36491
Chung Tran36100
Still Looking35944
The_Waco_Kid35797
Mojojo33117

Thread Closed

Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #31
Guest030911
Account Disabled

Encounters: 5
My ECCIE Reviews
Talking Remember Chipper's first house?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:28 AM   #32
am woody
Gaining Momentum

Encounters: 14

I grew up in Oak Cliff.
1. Going to the Texas or Wynnwood theaters almost every weekend to see 1st run movies.
2. Playing golf on the high school golf team at Stevens Park. When it was raining, we would go to the Bronco Bowl to bowl.
3. Wee St. Andrews miniature golf.
4. Going to high school with SRV.
5. Seeing first Cowboy game at the Cotton Bowl with dad in 1962. The Cleveland Browns with Jim Brown. We sat in the upper deck on the 50 yard line. The cost: $5.50.
6. The 8.0 bar has been mentioned. I used to sub in the band that played during lunch sometimes.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #33
Judge Smails
Valued Poster

Encounters: 10

Drez,

Were the Dallas Blackhawks the old Central Hockey league team before the Stars? If so, I remember they were the dread enemies of the Omaha Knights and it was the only game that would sell out. Rep as a very bad ass team with a f--king crazy coach... Bobby Kromm or something? Old fashioned fights where a hockey game would sometimes break out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez63 View Post
From reading posts I see many of you are like me.......an original Dallasite who was here before Dallas grew up and lost its character,,,,,,
You guys remember;

1. the smell of Mrs Bairds bread baking along Central
2. Jamies Hamburgers
3. Frank X Tolberts on Cedar Springs
4. Adairs when it was on Cedar Springs
5. The Railhead
6. KBOX country radio
7. The Rubiyat
8. The one and only Chili's
9. and Brinkers on Gaston (the original Brinker restaurant)
10. Dixie House
11. Caligula (before the fire)
12. Don's Showtime
13. Monopoly's
14. The various Tub Clubs
15. Dallas Cowboys practice field on Forest (and George Allen spying from the motel next door)
16. The Dallas BlackHawks
17. Mr. Peppermint

I would love to hear about any memories and stories of you real Dallasites who miss the real Big "D"
Old 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #34
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
Drez,

Were the Dallas Blackhawks the old Central Hockey league team before the Stars? If so, I remember they were the dread enemies of the Omaha Knights and it was the only game that would sell out. Rep as a very bad ass team with a f--king crazy coach... Bobby Kromm or something? Old fashioned fights where a hockey game would sometimes break out...
Yep. Played in the coliseum at Fair Park. Minor league hockey is (or was at that time) a very volatile mix. Young kids on the way up looking to prove themselves, and older guys and washouts on the down who were pissed off.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #35
Judge Smails
Valued Poster

Thats what I thought. That was a great minor league with a lot of rivals up and down the midwest corridor. As you mentioned, it had to be wild with a mix of 19 and 30 year olds. But, as I recall, it was the "triple A" farm team for some NHL teams, so you saw guys that played in the bigs later.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #36
kayxxxooo27
Pending Age Verification

User ID: 2667
My ECCIE Reviews

Nicole- I loved that big Coors billboard with the waterfall!!

When I was a kid I would stay with my dad on the weekends and we always drove by that billboard and would stop somewhere near there...Harry Hines? and he'd get his beer and a beef Jerky for me.-

Zuider Zee's-my mom loved that place-I just remember the name and windmill or whatever it was they had out front-it seemed like such a cool big place!!

And then there was Friday or Saturday night wrestling somewhere in Dallas my dad used to take me to..lol, it was a scary place too! I remember concrete floors, metal fold up chairs, beer everywhere and it was so freaking loud in there! Do y'all know where Im talking about?

and Im sure no one will know of this place, but there was a little hamburger joint on the corner of Kiest Blvd and Ramsey street which was about an 1/8 of a mile from my grandmothers house-they had great hamburgers and chocolate shakes!!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #37
TexTushHog
Professional Tush Hog.

Encounters: 7

Kay, the wrestling had to be the Sportatorium.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #38
Pearl Man
Old, but concupiscent....

When I was a kid I used to get on my bike, take my 22 and ride over to the creek where Manderville Rd, and Royal Lane is now and hunt squirrels. Everybody threw their birthday parties at Duback's Skating Rink on Greenville Ave and the best present you could get was a plastic model airplane kit. Farthest north movie theater was the Inwood. We all gathered there Saturday mornings for the Kid Shows. Bugs Bunny, Our Gang, Three Stooges, Flash Gordon. Preston Rd. was a two-lane asphalt. I love this thread.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #39
Ezmerelda
Account Disabled

User ID: 2664
My ECCIE Reviews

I miss the Texas Jam. When I was only 12 and 13, I would drive my step-dad and his friend there as they were tripping on Acid. I had my first kiss outside by the water when I was 15.

And when Deep Ellum was not only dangerous but cool.

Sigh, now they are tearing down the Cowboy Stadium. Damn, I hate change.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #40
cookie man
Premium Access

Encounters: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayxxxooo27 View Post
Nicole- I loved that big Coors billboard with the waterfall!!
That billboard has had many advertisers over the years. It was originally built in 1962 to promote Pearl beer.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...d.39f6920.html

However my favorite was the Hamms beer version. It had a bear standing in the water with the slogun "From the Land of Sky Blue Water"...that was until someone filled the water with soap one year. Now is the time for the cluprit to confess.

Hamm's commercial
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7HoWEk6y8"]YouTube- Hamms Beer Bear[/ame]

Hamms trivia...

William Hamm, Jr. was kidnapped in St. Paul, MN by the Ma Barker gang in the 1930's. The investigation of this kidnapping by the FBI featured the first attempt at raising latent fingerprints from paper ransom notes. The Al Capone gang attempted to frame-up rival gangster Roger Touhy for this crime.

Other vintage Dallas billboards/signs...
http://www.agilitynut.com/signs/tx.html
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
drez63
Valued Poster

Encounters: 20

You guys rock!!!!!Thanks for everyone sharing their memories.....Let's keep it up!!!

Thanks for the link to other signs cookie man......great site....

Does anyone know what business that spiral neon sign on the west side of central around Lovers (?) belonged to? I remember family trips as a kid to Houston and that was my signal that we were almost home.

Also, anyone else remember the Sears on Ross Avenue? That was a great store....As a kid me and my Dad would shop there and if I really wanted something (like a bike or a electric vibrating football set) we would go see if the Sears on Lamar had it in the basement for a lower price. Dad never would pay more thatn he had to.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:21 AM   #42
SaintPat
Valued Poster

To tell you how out of touch I am these days, I moved Southwest of Ft. Worth and did not even realize the West End was no more until I read Nicole Preston's post. I used to love Dallas Alley.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #43
Guero
Registered Member

Hmmm. I went the other way, I remember a little venue called Theatre Gallery in dangerous deep Elm. Saw all sorts of bands there from dead kennedys, red hot chilly peppers, butt hole surfers, etc.
You would walk out and pass all the hammer skins on the street, go to the prophet bar before the owner found Jesus.
On greenville there was Arcadia theatre, another great venue, and assasins for those who needed to have blue hair and their clothes different.
And then there was bill's records and tapes. Where if you acted gay, bill would give you a discount just for playing along. Bills is now in Dallas, I thaught they had closed. And Bill is still alive.
75 was 4 lanes and people had bumper stickers that read "I hate 75"
wasn't there a drive in at 75 and 635?
Old 02-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #44
Pearl Man
Old, but concupiscent....

There was a Drive-In at Forest and 75 (NE Corner) called The Gemini. Still have some great memories from that place. There was also one at Hillcrest and Northwest Highway (NW corner) called The Northwest Highway Drive In....

Old 02-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #45
Judge Smails
Valued Poster

Still a drive in running in Granbury
Thread Closed

AMPReviews.net
Find Ladies
Hot Women